Honey instead of Molasses?

• Thread starter Cloud 99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cloud 99

anyone ever used honey instead of or with molasses?I ask because i ran outta molasses and dont know when ill make it to the store to get more so i was gonna try some honey.Let me know what you guys and girls think:wondering

hubcap

hubcap

brown sugar dood

dissolve it over warm water

let cool

add to feed and pH it.

J

Jalisco Kid

Honey has more bacteria,so if you are in hydro keep you eyes on the rez.JK

K

KingCrimson

sure have, works just fine. (im in soil) Just make sure the honey you're using is actual honey. Most storebought from major chains is like 70% filler 30% honey at best. So while I don't know that that would harm them I don't think it would do much good if it was anything but raw unprocessed honey.

I used to be a beekeeper, and I have a few things I want to take the time to figure out when I have the space and time.

Does different types of honey effect the final taste? orange blossom honey/wildflower honey/ brambleberry
basically any type of flower there can be that type of honey. Also honey vs molasses, two very different types of surcrose (if thats what it is)

Which leads me to,
If I had a feild of outdoor MJ and had beehives on that land, as beekeepers do when they want a specific type of honey (by placing hives in an orange grove/clover field/pumpin patch, etc), would I then get MJ honey, not nessecarily THC honey but honey that tasted of ganja, as pumpkin honey tastes of pumpkin and so forth.

One of these days...

BombBP

BombBP

I wouldn't use honey...it's antibacterial. Egyptians used to use honey to dress wounds to stop infection. Corn Syrup or molasses is the best way to go.

L

LandraceQuest

I wouldn't use honey...it's antibacterial.

Heya

I have the same opinion of you BombBP...:cool0041:

I use honey and cinnamon to make some mixture for bandage when i do some injuries to my plants and that works pretty good but if you want to put it in your water for systemic use , I'm not sure that's a good idea 'cuz if honey is antibacterial maybe he could destroy the micro-life in your soil (Maybe not with the efficacity of silica which is anti-fungus & antibacterial) like trichodermas , mycrorizes , benefical bacterials who produces the enzymes ,ect...

Not sure about that...Others opinions ?

-LQ-

K

KingCrimson

I wouldn't use honey...it's antibacterial. Egyptians used to use honey to dress wounds to stop infection. Corn Syrup or molasses is the best way to go.

i would say this is a very good argument against, well damn.

BombBP

BombBP

i would say this is a very good argument against, well damn.
I wasn't trying to step on your toes KC. I don't think many people know honey is antibacterial. Heres a lil reading on Honeys' antibacterial properties:).

Honey

K

KingCrimson

I wasn't trying to step on your toes KC. I don't think many people know honey is antibacterial. Heres a lil reading on Honeys' antibacterial properties:).

Honey

no of course not! I'm just glad someone with the knowledge stepped in before he killed off his microculture potentialy because of me.

I know honey was sterile etc. Didn't put 2 and 2 together though, thanks!

There goes my honey experiments... :yawn

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Why use honey? its exspensive stuff these days, i would stick blackstrap mollasses and its only 85p a jar and works perfectly. You can buy carbload from your growshop for £15 a litre and its just basically diluted mollasses with over priced label lmao

hubcap

hubcap

earth juice assist is the same thing
watered down molasses with other stuffs with a 3X pricetag of gramdmas blackslop mole-asses.

molasses is king.
corn syrup and brown sugar ive used, too, with no ill effects.

C

Cloud 99

Hey guys thanks for all the advice.I didnt no honey was antibacterial.i was just going to try it until i got some more molasses but i think ill just use some brown sugar for now.But im glad i brung this up.I would like to state however i did put a teaspoon of honey in a tea i made once along with some molasses and other things and it still foamed up indicating micro activity and didnt seem to effect the plants.this time i was gonna use 1 tablespoon since i ran outta molasses.Since reading all your opinions ive decided to make 2 diff batches of tea.One wit brownsugar and one wit honey.ill use the honey on one plant only and let you guys know the diff

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Hey guys thanks for all the advice.I didnt no honey was antibacterial.i was just going to try it until i got some more molasses but i think ill just use some brown sugar for now.But im glad i brung this up.I would like to state however i did put a teaspoon of honey in a tea i made once along with some molasses and other things and it still foamed up indicating micro activity and didnt seem to effect the plants.this time i was gonna use 1 tablespoon since i ran outta molasses.Since reading all your opinions ive decided to make 2 diff batches of tea.One wit brownsugar and one wit honey.ill use the honey on one plant only and let you guys know the diff

If you got a spare plant, then go for it but dont blame us if you lose her to the honey jar lol

R

RansacktheElder

I have to throw out a half assed assesment here and say that adding honey would be no worse than adding Peroxide, which I've seen advocated on here many times. You guys feel free to comment!

hubcap

hubcap

people add peroxide to kill off bad microbes.
they dont add peroxide, usually, becuase they WANT to..

also.....
place hydrogen peroxide in your mouth and swish around.
it foams.
and, in actuality, all those lil microbes and bacteria in your mouth.....?
theyre DYING.
foaming, in and of itself, doesnt indicate microbial activity. this is a farce.
just means somethings happening......not all the time, its good.

cloud99. dont use honey. dont waste your time......just use the useful ingredient in the honey....
which is sugar. aka use molasses, corn syrup, or brown sugar.
its the sugar, in turn, which feeds the microbes in the soil which helps the plant......
so, youre adding sugar to help 'feed the soil' as opposed to 'feeding the plant' is that makes sense

-hub

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Heya

I have the same opinion of you BombBP...:cool0041:

I use honey and cinnamon to make some mixture for bandage when i do some injuries to my plants and that works pretty good but if you want to put it in your water for systemic use , I'm not sure that's a good idea 'cuz if honey is antibacterial maybe he could destroy the micro-life in your soil (Maybe not with the efficacity of silica which is anti-fungus & antibacterial) like trichodermas , mycrorizes , benefical bacterials who produces the enzymes ,ect...

Not sure about that...Others opinions ?

-LQ-

I notice you said that silica is anti-fungus and antibacterial. I use pottassium silicate in my lineup. Is this bad for my microherd???? Thanks for the info. I do use molasses. RB

hubcap

hubcap

that IVE never heard...
ill do a lil homework, bot off the top of the dome, i dont THINK silica or silica based plant products are anitbac/or anti microbial.
could be wrong tho. i dont use any as ammendments, but, partners do, with no ill effects.

again....ill look around and post anything if theres bad effects.....bear with me rootbound.

****edit****
first page i came onto, searching google, was explaining how rutgers scientists were injecting 'silica molds' with "microbial colonies" to help ensure their survival..... LOL
so its safe to assume silica is good to go.

C

Cloud 99

hey hubcap and jah im just gon do one plant just to see.im curious like that.I def respect your opinions though thats why im only gonna try 1.i gotta clone i was gonna toss so no biggy.and i should be getting to the store next week for more molasses.

hubcap

hubcap

cool.
wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if ya dont notice anything (good or bad)tho.

keep us in tune. if the cut was gonna die anyway, i commend you for making it an honorable death and running a quickie experiment for the sake of knowledge.

thats good to go. i admire that...

N

Nuggetshiner

Hi all! I've been using honey for over a year and a half now and love it. If it's killing off the bacterial life in my soil and rez the plants sure seem to like that. I used molases for a couple of years but never liked the flavor it gave my pot so I went to honey.com and checked out that it's mostly fructose and sucrose and some trace elements I can't remember at the mo. I never saw anything about it being anti-bacterial. Whoops, ok, check this out.
A number of potential causes of the antimicrobial activity of honey have been postulated including, (1) high osmolarity, (2) acidity, (3) hydrogen peroxide, (4) and unidentified substances from certain floral sources. This study sought to further elucidate potential sources of the antimicrobial activity of honey. The antimicrobial activities of treefoil honey and a honey analogue (a sugar solution containing 46.5% fructose, 34% glucose, 1.5% sucrose, and 18% water) at different concentrations (i.e., different levels of dilution) towards 21 types of bacteria and 2 tyes of fungi were examined. Honey and the honey analogue demonstrated similar bacteriostatic activity when undiluted; however, honey demonstrated significantly greater bacteriostatic activity than the honey analogue when diluted (p < 0.05). Honey exhibited greater bactericidal activity than the honey analogue at all concentrations (p < 0.05) indicating the presence of other contributory causes of the antibacterial activities of honey. Only the honey demonstrated antifungal activity. Evaluation of the potential antimicrobial compounds in honey identified flavonoids, particularly caffeic acid and ferulic acid as the most likely contributors.
I'm not going to quit using it, I agree it cost a bit more but I like how everythings going in the garden and I like the mild flavor it imparts to the herb. Molasses seemed to give everything a bit of earthy flavor I noticed. There's all kinds of sugars. All I'm really trying to do is feed my bacteria so it would be ironic to find out I'm killing it, lol. From what I've seen I'm not but I'm gonna do a little more research. There seems to be a lot of observations but not a lot of science and its mostly aimed toward human wounds.
Sorry I don't have any pics in my gallery so you can see if I'm full of it or not but that will be rectified in the near future. :)
Take care, NS

Top Bottom