Hood life

• Thread starter Purkle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
What hood you got? Do you absolutely love it?

I am looking for some new hoods and thinking about going with the new SunSystem XXXL 8inch cooled hoods. I also saw some neat hoods with a 6inch cool glass tube running though them. Any help or hints would be great. I am looking to get away from A/C and need some really good hoods that cool well.

I wish I could find a 8inch cool tube with the a big reflector built in. Peace

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
6" silverstars. Love them, always have and will.

og dmc

og dmc

I use PL lights. I can say they are superior to my hydrofarms, but I am sure there is a better hood out there by now.

Greyskull

Greyskull

Maybe these will help you... I am a fan of Sun System - best on the market.
this is what I use:
here's the 8" version:
this one has a huge footprint:
this one has same huge footprint but lower quality reflector material:

good luck

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I have 6" Silver Stars, 8" Silver Stars, 6" Cooltubes, 8" Hydrofarms, 45" Vertizontals, Growzillas, Value brights, extrasuns, and another I can't remember..

Right now the bell of the ball is the 45' vertizontal hood on a high bay setup on movers, i am lovin this for a non air cooled hoods with a huge footprint.

I like the XXXL for the massive footprint, i am thinkin of runnin 2 in a 4x8 darkroom with 2k stationary.

Growzillas loaded with 2k each is some massive heat and if ya dont have high ceilings it is hard to get far enough away from the canopy without cookin them..I was thinkin of runnin the 600w Sunpulse bulbs woth the focused spectrums and run 1200 per hood or even a 1k and the 750w Mh that is available now for a 1750w hood on a mover with mixed spectrum kickin.

Silverstar hoods have a good foot print for a 3x3 but not much more, even a 4x4 is a stretch if your down on the canopy.

Tex

E

edelephant

Maybe these will help you... I am a fan of Sun System - best on the market.
this is what I use:
here's the 8" version:
this one has a huge footprint:
this one has same huge footprint but lower quality reflector material:

good luck

YES!!!

Sunsystems BANG HARD!:character0110:

edit to add: GREAT TITLE THREAD!!!!

H

hygrade

i was just wondering the same thing the other day.i will be buying a new hood myself in the month or so and was planning on the cool xxl 6",looks like i'm on the right path

i have a 6" cooltube and it sucks

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
SilverStars Rock!My absolute favorite Hood.Quite lite for the size too.

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow great response already. Yeah I like the huge XXXL from Sunsystem in the 8" design but would love them if they had a glass tube running through them instead of trying to cool the whole hood. I have saw a 6" tube with the hood atached but dont remember the name. Its like a cool tube set up inside a hood but I want one with 8" tube.

The silverstars are grabbing my eye too. Im looking for a bulk deal on either so if anyone wants to go in I can prolly get some great pricing. Thanks everyone!!!

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Also I anyone have a problem of their A/C leaking light through the filter or vents into the room?

S

Skunkenstein

I thought I was doing the right thing buy getting the 6'' cool-tube..It runs very cool and thats about it.Light dispersion is about as bad as it gets, even with the optional external reflector.My suspitions were validated when a member on another forum did a fairly comprehensive test on about 20-25 different hoods.He used a measured black grid and a real nice light meter.He took light meter readings on all squares of the board and at 3 different heights above the board..12in,18in,and 24in.All this info was put into some really neat soft-ware and you could see what the respective hoods were really putting down...all graphed out.The worst were the cool-tubes,,next were the hoods with 8in holes.Finally, the best hood was the Sun Systems Super Sun #2.This is the hood I ended up buying..haha.I give this guy mad respect.This project lasted months and he was very meticulous in his reporting.His final summarization was..The larger the Air cooling vent, the more light is lost down the ducts.The results he had spoke Volumes.:icon_spin:

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks alot Skunk, you been a great help along the way with almost everything. I think I will stick to the 6inch hoods since the 8's loose alot of light according to the test that was ran. I am just trying to get away from the damn A/C and thought 8inchers would do that but not if Im gonna loose a bunch of light down the duct. Got a link or maybe shoot me a PM where I can find that test of reflectors that went down?

B

Boywonder

SunSytem have a new reflector on the market, search for "coolbreeze", its a tube/hood hybrid.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
There's a company called Max Air Shades or something like that, they make a 10 inch cooltube. As far as larger duct hoods, it's very simple to rig up some sort of baffle to reflect light and not waste it downt he ducting that won't impede airflow.

M

Married2Mary

Premium Member
Supporter
Man I bought a Sun Systems Magnum XXXL 8" and this thing kicks some serious ass..

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
I have the same cool sun 6inch and hard to imagine it could get much cooler. You can touch the glass no problem on the cool sun. I have been really impressed, only issue to consider is that they are pretty heavy imo.

jb

K

knottynuggs

obviously if what youre lookin for is footprint, dont go with a cooltube. they do serve their purpose though. ive crammed those things into some pretty tight spots. theyre also really good for supplemental lighting, or mixing spectrums. you can also pretty much let your girlies touch tis hood and theyre safe. cool to the touch. depending on what you need it for they can work pretty well.

F

forehead

I thought this was gonna be athread about living in the Ghetto! lol sorry im blazed. :afroweed:

Top Bottom