Johnfs

Johnfs

Hope this is the right place for this
Hope this is the right place for this 2
Hope this is the right place for this 3
3weeks into flower should I be rmoveing the big leaves not sure

Polar510

Polar510

I would Defoliate a little but not to much (I tend to get carried away). But for sure let some light get in there, and it also will reduce Your Humidity..
Kinda looks like some blue dream I ran last year.

Johnfs

Johnfs

I would Defoliate a little but not to much (I tend to get carried away). But for sure let some light get in there, and it also will reduce Your Humidity..
Kinda looks like some blue dream I ran last year.
Nervous about touching anything after it took 5 mounts to get here
I was told it is northern lights purple

Polar510

Polar510

I would say that any bud being covered by a fan leaf should be exposed to the light..Good Luck!

greenthumb89

greenthumb89

be careful with defoilation and for your next batch of soil maybe tone down on the nitrgoen you got some claw going on there. You can defoilate a little bit but keep in mind it's no longer in veg and with it being week 3 it's getting near the end of it's stretch so nothing will grow back. the leaves are your powerhouse for the buds it's true that the leaves might block some bud sites but no matter how much light gets to the bud if you don't have any fan leaves for photosynthesis and all that your buds wont have any energy to swell up. I would say lollipop the bottom

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
be careful with defoilation and for your next batch of soil maybe tone down on the nitrgoen you got some claw going on there. You can defoilate a little bit but keep in mind it's no longer in veg and with it being week 3 it's getting near the end of it's stretch so nothing will grow back. the leaves are your powerhouse for the buds it's true that the leaves might block some bud sites but no matter how much light gets to the bud if you don't have any fan leaves for photosynthesis and all that your buds wont have any energy to swell up. I would say lollipop the bottom
Yea that was the 1st thing I keyed on on. Looks like N toxicity a bit.

Polar510

Polar510

Buds don't need light. It's the fan leaves that absorb light, that makes buds grow bigger. I never remove fan leaves. Just tuck n move them out of the way. Now if you scrog/sog, then remove the lower stuff.
I actually haven't heard that before, learning everyday! Do You risk bud mold easier by covering them with fan leaves?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Leaves absorb light for photosynthesis. I don't believe flowers/ bud have the same ability. If so, how would a plant grown in clone and veg state?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Buds don't need light. It's the fan leaves that absorb light, that makes buds grow bigger. I never remove fan leaves. Just tuck n move them out of the way. Now if you scrog/sog, then remove the lower stuff.

Why tuck and move the leaves if you know the buds don't need light?

I do the opposite. I untangle and fluff them up to get better airflow and light.

The funny part of this is that the plant moves its own leaves into the best position for itself.

Unless there is a reason like crowding or the leaf is necrotic and going crispy I remove nothing.

Most of my plants have the single baby leaves still attached at harvest. Lol. I still shudder a little every time I pick one off.

I still notice huge frostier buds hidden under original big fans in the middle of my canopy.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I try not to defoliate in flower unless I know the plant is hardy and can take it, some plants are finickey and will pop out nanners if defoliated in flower. Ive gotten to where I just tuck big fans out of the way and use popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners to push apart and tie down branches to let more light get to the middle.
The fan leaves are like solar panels for the plant, the more the merrier.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Im with @DemonTrich in his philosphy. Plants are governed by genetic code for everything about them. The way they look, number of leaves, growth stature or form, number of leaves, color of leaves, level of trichome production, level of thc and chemical components. In essence dna coding supplies everything that individual plant needs to grow to its full genetic potential. Secondary is grower environmental parameters and skill levels.

I always chuckle when we humans act and talk like we now better than Mother Nature and come up with various ways to outdo or out think her. The plant as it grows is perfect in every way based on its genetic script. There is a reason plant A has 35,50, or whatever fan leaves and a reason why buds are "Shaded" by big fans.

Flowers are not part of the overall photosynthetic engine.

Last edited:
Farmer P

Farmer P

How about just defoliating a couple branches and see if those buds end up bigger or smaller so we can all see for sure. I saw a thread a couple months ago (cant find it), and the guy did a side by side and the defoliated plant had bigger buds for sure. Maybe getting more light to what we call the sugar leaves is more important.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
How about just defoliating a couple branches and see if those buds end up bigger or smaller so we can all see for sure. I saw a thread a couple months ago (cant find it), and the guy did a side by side and the defoliated plant had bigger buds for sure. Maybe getting more light to what we call the sugar leaves is more important.
Very interesting

Was the thread you saw and the side by side performed with the same genetics via cloning from the same mother?

As this would only be a fair comparison using the same identical plant stock. Also were they both grown in the same room, same grow media and fed the same nute mix etc etc??

Top Bottom