Hoping this isn’t root rot.

• Thread starter iGemini365
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iGemini365

Is this a sign of early stage root rot? I’m really hoping it’s not. Plant appears to be healthy. Very minor curling up of the leaves. I moved the light to 24 inches away and pointed my fan towards the wall instead of blowing in the plants direction to hopefully mitigate wind burn. Had the fan on it to help the stem gain some strength. I’m hoping all of this time and money didn’t go to waste.. This is my first grow. Also the plant has been leaning to the side for about a week and a half maybe 2 weeks now. Which is before I pointed the fan towards it. It seems to be centered under the light as well. I was thinking about tying the string to a tooth pick on one side and then around the stem but decided not to. Right now I have it propped up with a tooth pick.

Hoping this isnt root rot
growsince79

growsince79

Is this a sign of early stage root rot? I’m really hoping it’s not. Plant appears to be healthy. Very minor curling up of the leaves. I moved the light to 24 inches away and pointed my fan towards the wall instead of blowing in the plants direction to hopefully mitigate wind burn. Had the fan on it to help the stem gain some strength. I’m hoping all of this time and money didn’t go to waste.. This is my first grow. Also the plant has been leaning to the side for about a week and a half maybe 2 weeks now. Which is before I pointed the fan towards it. It seems to be centered under the light as well. I was thinking about tying the string to a tooth pick on one side and then around the stem but decided not to. Right now I have it propped up with a tooth pick.
Got gnats?

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Looks fine don't Over think it soil is very forgiving. And unfortunately for your first sec9nd etc etc grow don't expect quads unless you have a mentor. Hopefully all the money you say you spent is just a young guy with no money!! And hate to sound like a bad guy but you actually have almost 0 time spent on that plant.

I don't think you have any problems at all Def not thrips as the leaves look all twisted and retarded fungus gnats are fruit flies basically easy to spot they fly.

You need to water more evenly so all the soil gets evenly wet not just around the stalj like that.

Again all in all looks like you havevno problems yet so don't imagine any and start messing with your set up compounding problems.

What are you feeding it? Are you feeding it?

I

iGemini365

I haven’t started feeding as of yet because I’m using ffof and I’ve read/been told that I don’t need to start feeding until about 5 weeks? I do have big bloom, grow big, tiger bloom, and cal mag though. I’m waiting to use them. I’ve seen a few tiny black flies flying around along with ants as well. I sprinkled a light dusting of cinnamon on the top soil and I am going to water tomorrow. It will be day 3 since last watering. I just don’t know why she fell over about a week 1/2-2 weeks ago? She basically did tonight too. I agree, it appears I don’t have any nutrient deficiencies from the looks of things. So that’s why I’m confused and want to make sure I’m mitigating any other problems that could be going on.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I haven’t started feeding as of yet because I’m using ffof and I’ve read/been told that I don’t need to start feeding until about 5 weeks? I do have big bloom, grow big, tiger bloom, and cal mag though. I’m waiting to use them. I’ve seen a few tiny black flies flying around along with ants as well. I sprinkled a light dusting of cinnamon on the top soil and I am going to water tomorrow. It will be day 3 since last watering. I just don’t know why she fell over about a week 1/2-2 weeks ago? She basically did tonight too. I agree, it appears I don’t have any nutrient deficiencies from the looks of things. So that’s why I’m confused and want to make sure I’m mitigating any other problems that could be going on.
Don't do anything drastic here. The plant will straighten up on its own, as it is already doing (see the stem starting to curve upward?).

The main issue you'll face, until you start feeding maybe, is the urge to water to often. If you water too often, you will fuck up your seedlings. When you water, make sure you wet all the soil. Then don't water again until the soil is nearly dry.

People usually determine when to water by the weight of the pot, but yours being in a ceramic pot will make that more difficult. It will always feel heavy. But a plant that size probably won't need watering more than once in 4-5 days or so.

Do not water now, BTW.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I personally bend mine with a mix of high and low stress training the falling over because of stretching with weak stems for now I have 2 going now that lay across the soil from falling over and they will grow fine.

Yes don't feed any extra with ffoh I don't personally like it I need more control over the feed so I only use non fertilized pro mix

I

iGemini365

Thank you! I appreciate it. Yeah I’m probably going to get an ac infinity netted pot or whatever they’re called to promote good drainage. Or if not that, a different one. I transplanted from solo cup 4 days after it sprouted out of soil. You think that might have been too early and caused some pretty bad transplant shock? I’m also going to transplant one more time. It’s been 19 days since I transplanted last. I’m just confused on why it almost seems too too heavy and it’s fallen over a couple times?

I

iGemini365

I personally bend mine with a mix of high and low stress training the falling over because of stretching with weak stems for now I have 2 going now that lay across the soil from falling over and they will grow fine.

Yes don't feed any extra with ffoh I don't personally like it I need more control over the feed so I only use non fertilized pro mix
I was looking at pro mix! I think on the next run I’ll go with that. Or maybe start off with happy frog?? Is that decent or more neutral to provide better control?

I

iGemini365

Well it’s confirmed guys I have fungus gnats.. I just saw a few and they aren’t regular gnats. These had the black body and the clear looking wings. I’m going to spray some need oil on the soil top layer and on plant. Should I mix some neem oil with water for the next watering and use that so it soaks all the way down into the soil to get any potential larvae and gnats underneath?

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
before you apply neem, you need to plop down some yellow sticky traps, learn that watering less is crucial for them to not spawn like madmen, increase airflow on plant, and get some diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it on the top layer of soil.

neem oil is used wrong is just as bad as letting it go

I

iGemini365

Ok thank you! I have sticky traps on the way. just ordered them. They’ll be here tomorrow. I sprayed a little bit of neem on the top of the soil. I haven’t watered today either. Should I hold off on watering? This will be day 4 of no water. I hope this doesn’t ruin everything.. I’m low key stressed out now haha.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
Ok thank you! I have sticky traps on the way. just ordered them. They’ll be here tomorrow. I sprayed a little bit of neem on the top of the soil. I haven’t watered today either. Should I hold off on watering? This will be day 4 of no water. I hope this doesn’t ruin everything.. I’m low key stressed out now haha.
still go by the method of only watering when needed. days are irrelevant unless you're noticing a drastic change in consumption and are worried.

she's still pretty small and if she's dealing with a pest, is probably slowing it's growth as well so water intake might be very little.

you got this!

I

iGemini365

Thanks I appreciate it! I hope she’s not gonna wilt and die but hey… if it happens now I know what to do to prevent it from happening again. I’ll see what I can do to prevent it from dying. Good news is she still seems pretty healthy!

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Diamas us earth is something I also use especially good for crawling bugs. For gnats I prevent them buy putting a layer of play sand about 3/4 inces thick on top to cover soil then gnats can't get into soil to leave eggs I mix the sand with a good helping of food grade diamascus earth I do this during the veg stage at least to prevent bugs.

Gnats are a nuisance for sure but unless they are so many it blocks out the light (ha) they will slow growth for a bit but the plant will over come as they don't damage it that much and if you do get bugs be thankfull it's not pretty much any other bug like mites or something gnats are very easy to catch he'll you may have even brought one in on your clothes

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

you were giving your young plant too much light - that's why the edges were curling up, and why it was growing sideways to avoid the light 🤙

I

iGemini365

Got gnats?
Diamas us earth is something I also use especially good for crawling bugs. For gnats I prevent them buy putting a layer of play sand about 3/4 inces thick on top to cover soil then gnats can't get into soil to leave eggs I mix the sand with a good helping of food grade diamascus earth I do this during the veg stage at least to prevent bugs.

Gnats are a nuisance for sure but unless they are so many it blocks out the light (ha) they will slow growth for a bit but the plant will over come as they don't damage it that much and if you do get bugs be thankfull it's not pretty much any other bug like mites or something gnats are very easy to catch he'll you may have even brought one in on your clothes
I’m going to get some of that as well and do as you recommend. I just got the sticky traps today and also sprayed neem last night. I’m going to do the lift test and potentially water today as it’s been 4 days now. I raised my light to 24 inches as well! I’m still seeing new growth so I don’t think she’s dead in the water!! Time to get this girl back healthy and do what I can to ward off the pests and any other problems! I’ll post some pics when I can after the lights turn back on later on this afternoon!

Latest posts

Top Bottom