Horiba Cardy Nitrate Meters for Measuring Sap Concentrations in Plant Leaves

• Thread starter SomeoneYouKnow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SomeoneYouKnow

Did you end up finding a p from merck? I'm going to check those out. I'm ordering mine soon, probably this week finally.

You should get the Cardy N and K meters too - hell, you talked me into buying them.

Haha!

Talk Soon,

SYK

J

Jalisco Kid

The cardy pH meter on it's own will give you more info. It tells you some info on K plus you can read a problem in your plant before you see it.The K meter I can see as it is important level to monitor. Most herb nutes will not give you the correct ratio of n:k. One of the reason I was banned from AN just for asking that question. I like a 1:2.8-3.2 ratio. Herb does not really go thru N like say tomatoes or hops. for sure nothing like cane.
HIM so you are trying to get others to take your norcal hippy teas into commercial rooms? I took some cuts of my BP so they should be rooted in about 4-5 weeks. In a small way I hope you guys have killer weather this summer, I do not want you guys bringing so much outdoor norcal swag down this year. Last year I saw stuff worse then any Canadian beasters from norcal. JK

Edit: Checking out research on Hops seems to be more in line with herb then most crops for me. I use vice grips for auto body workers to get my sap.

Blaze

Blaze

Those "norcal hippy teas" work better than any fertilizer from what we've been seeing. Cost less too.

From what we've seen with the sap readings cannabis actually consumes a tremendous amount of N as well. More than hops or anything else for that matter.

J

Janus

I just logged in for the first time in a long while. Cool thread. I'll be following along as I've still much to learn.

Peace

P

pikes peak 69

Hey syk,
Did you ever talk to the Mfg and get any answers?
Thanks
pp69

Got word from HappyInMendo - His suggestion re the changing of meters : Call the Manufacturer.

So it looks like on Monday, I'm going to the source!

S

SomeoneYouKnow

PP69 -

I did not.

After learning about the conversions (as previously posted) I decided that it was unnecessary and that the new meters read the exact same values as the older meters.

I think I will be buying my garlic press today, so experiments should start soon.

Many irons in the fire right now, I think I may put experimenting off for a few more weeks ...... dunno.

Hope Everyone Is Well

SYK

P

pikes peak 69

Cool, I figured as much. Let us know what you get for results when you do start testing.

pp69

G

greenblood

This document is from the International Fertilizer Industry Association website.

http://i31.invalid.com/2rgf95e.jpg

S

SomeoneYouKnow

Well .... I tried to get a sap sample finally.

I ended up using a garlic press of high quality.

All it did was mince up my weed leaves and make minced leaf out of it, and it didnt extract any leaf sap.

Chodski, Blaze, JK - Do you guys have a link to the vice grips that you are using to do this, or how you are extracting your sap.

Thanks Guys,

SYK

S

SomeoneYouKnow

So,

I finally got readings off my vegging girls.

7200 ppm NO3.

Does this sound about right?

Any Input?

SYK

S

SomeoneYouKnow

OK,

Today's reading was 4500. Which leads me to believe that my other reading may have been incorrect.

Anyone?

Blaze

Blaze

The readings can vary a lot from day to day - both readings may have been correct. I've seen mine change by a few thousand ppm's within just a day or two. A reading of 7200 is very high, 4500 is also quite good (I assume this is during veg).

This was with the new style meter or the old one?

S

SomeoneYouKnow

Heya Blaze - These numbers are with the new style meter. Thanks for your other input - it is appreciated.

Today's numbers were lower - with new growth being taken, the sap seemed a lighter color and yielded numbers around 3600.

So - it seems I can get different readings from different leaves on the same plant.

Is there anything scientific to this madness?

SYK

Blaze

Blaze

Hmm, man that's annoying I guess they really did change the new style meters to have a wider range. Mine always just gives me an error msg any time my levels get above 2k ppm.

Never tried getting a reading off an individual leaf actually - always just collected leaves form several plants and took an average. So I have no idea if you will see big swings between individual leaves.

Just start keeping notes on all the numbers you are getting on your meter, and what you are feeding with. They can vary a lot even from day to day so you want to start collecting data so you know what an average reading is for your plants in the future.

The sap readings can help a lot, but they still only give you part of the picture, and you need to be abel to put them in context.

H

happyinmendo

You only want petioles or leaf stems, not actual leaves. You want new growth leaf stems. A garlic press should work fine unless you have the hand strength of a pre teen girl. :)

Just take notes on samples as often as possible, there is a lot to learn, especially with chems and teas. Organics and real compost teas are even more amazing, however less your situation. Make sure your do never falls below 6%.

ncga

ncga

Good starter info

For work I have been taking sap samples for the past 11 years. Can't really post much but this information will get harder to collect. Cardy has stopped making the high range N03 meter wee just bought the lat 3 I could find. Looks like some are available in the UK.

There is no published information on Sap levels for cannabis but we have compiled a complete range of data. To make since of the sample it is nice to do 4 tests using Cardy meters

N03
Potassium
PH
EC

nc

Latest posts

Top Bottom