Hortilux 1000 watt vs Vivosun 1000W new out of the box side by side comparison

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I bought a Vivosun 1000w light off Amazon last August for my next grow. I didn't open the box until I needed the lamp in Sept. When I opened it the lamp had black ends (as in the pics). Suspicious now I put the lamp in and immediately I could see a dimmer light. I forget the exact #'s but I got more lux from the old Hortilux I was replacing than with the new Vivosun so I pulled the Vivosun and replaced it with the old Hortilux I'm still using. I was past the return date so I just kept it after filling a complaint with Amazon to no avail.

Compare yourself out of the box new - 15 min on Vivosun
Hort on top Vivosun on bottom

Hortilux 1000 watt vs vivosun 1000w new out of the box side by side comparison
Hortilux 1000 watt vs vivosun 1000w new out of the box side by side comparison 2
Hortilux 1000 watt vs vivosun 1000w new out of the box side by side comparison 3
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That doesnt look used. Probably just tested. And i think horty looks brighter because there is more blue in the spectrum. It looks brighter than the ushios i used last time too. They are redder. And the cheap bulb will fade faster. Much faster in my experience. I also have only had cheap chinese bulbs fail. Never a hortilux yet. Also i feel the plants are happier under the horty spectrum. Better leaf health longer from the added blue light.

Unhinged

Unhinged

A number of Amazon reviews for vivo products mention electrical failures and fires. That's enough for me to steer clear.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It seems the low quality China bulbs have a tendency to not have as much blue.

I have 315w CMH one 3100k Phillips one 3000k vivosun. Compared to the Phillips, The vivosun is almost like an hps it looks so yellow

and when tested the phillips is over 15% more par than cheaper copies. Same with hortilux and hps.

You get what you pay for. There were never any special deals in capatilism. Just good advertising.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
That doesnt look used. Probably just tested. And i think horty looks brighter because there is more blue in the spectrum. It looks brighter than the ushios i used last time too. They are redder. And the cheap bulb will fade faster. Much faster in my experience. I also have only had cheap chinese bulbs fail. Never a hortilux yet. Also i feel the plants are happier under the horty spectrum. Better leaf health longer from the added blue light.
I didn't keep track of the lux numbers but up close to the lamp I only had like 30,000 with the Vivosun that's about what I get from my t5's. The old hort gave me around 47.000...It was noticeable with my naked eye and it didn't have any range to it...it was dark on the out side of the reflectors beam? area? not so with the Hortilux even being 9 -10 months old at the time. I'm still (until tonight) using it rather than the Vivosun. Anyone want a lightly used crappy lamp.?...I.Sell cheap.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
and when tested the phillips is over 15% more par than cheaper copies. Same with hortilux and hps.

You get what you pay for. There were never any special deals in capatilism. Just good advertising.
Well this is just a vent and advertising my dislike of in Vivosun lamps. If I can save just one child from making poor choices isn't it all worth it? lol replace child with Dollar saving Amazon buyers.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I should also add I spent 30 odd year in the electrical buiz and I don;t ever remember blackened ends on tubes. I wasn't always working with high output tubes & lights but still this test must have gone on for a month or so.🤨🤨

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I should also add I spent 30 odd year in the electrical buiz and I don;t ever remember blackened ends on tubes. I wasn't always working with high output tubes & lights but still this test must have gone on for a month
Cheap manufacturing process maybe? Inferior fabrication with sub par components all welded together from inside the glass tube for "production efficiency"

Top Bottom