HORTILUX DUAL ARCHS caught on FIRE!!!

• Thread starter Confuten1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
So 2 of my 3 1k lights are Hortilux dual arch (super blue). I run bare bulb vertical set up. Quantum balast CAP light cords 15 ft.

About a month ago, one of the horti straight melted the metal from the blub to the light fixture and burned a hole in the glass ,also straight cracked the ceramic fixture it was attached to(im assuming from the heat), so that shit had to be 700degrees +. sum scary shit!! any ways, took it back to my hydro guy, he replaced it and I moved on. Today@ lights on, the 2nd horti( that hadnt burn out) started to flicker, filled the bulb with a wierd "gas" and them shut off. WTF!!!.
Is this normal for these bulbs, am i doing something wrong? I mean dude, I spending 200$ per bulb I expect these to be working perfect they are less than 2 months old.
I read somewhere that horti jus recently changed their bulb set up to be more compatible with digital balasts( new boxs says e-balast compatible). HAVE THEY CHANGED THE DUAL ARCH SUPER BLUE too?

If anyone can share some info on this matter with me i would greatly appiciate it, also their experiences with these bulbs can be posted here.

BTW, despite almost buring my shit down, im not knockin these bulbs, they seem to be producing better buds and trich devlopment than my digilux advanced blue, but still to early to tell.

Confu...

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Scary shit for sure. I havnt heard of bulbs catching on fire, but I have heard of boulb sockets melting. Nothing bulb specific.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
really want to start a dialog, BUMPITTY BUMP.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
HOLY SHIT! That's a huge threat to your safety. I'd be on the phone to every manufacturer as well as the hydro shop that sold them. Sure, it's great that they've replaced them, but how will this be prevented? What if you weren't there when it happened????

Holy fucking SHIT. Not to mention that you basically paid for an entire new lighting rig with the purchase of a single bulb. WTF? They should be able to make some guarantee of quality and SAFETY for that kind of pricing structure.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

What is the product code number of your bulbs? There are so many different types. I think they have reg. blue bulbs and the dual arc. I looked up LU1000MH/HTL/EN . I says its a horizontal burning bulb only and should be enclosed. Maybe you have a different bulb but if thats your code # above see the below link. If not try searching w/ the bulb code, include "burning position" in your search.

I would think the hydro store guy should be aware of which bulbs are meant to burn universally (horizontal or vert or both). I never had any idea about bulbs burning positions until someone brought it up in a random conversation because i've always been a horizontal guy. Just something to consider. Sorry if you knew this stuff already.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
What is the product code number of your bulbs? There are so many different types. I think they have reg. blue bulbs and the dual arc. I looked up LU1000MH/HTL/EN . I says its a horizontal burning bulb only and should be enclosed. Maybe you have a different bulb but if thats your code # above see the below link. If not try searching w/ the bulb code, include "burning position" in your search.

I would think the hydro store guy should be aware of which bulbs are meant to burn universally (horizontal or vert or both). I never had any idea about bulbs burning positions until someone brought it up in a random conversation because i've always been a horizontal guy. Just something to consider. Sorry if you knew this stuff already.

dont know the model number, its their dual arc(super blue). i just spoke with customer service at hortilux, dude told me that bulb SHOULD NOT be used with a digital balast because no digital balast is ANSI 54 approved. i told him they should really warn the consumer about this due to the dangers of malfunction, he replyed ," it says on the box only use with ANSI54 balasts". come to find out that means it inly works with magnetic balasts, notdigital . to me this needs to be better stated, no dumbass (like me) know digi balasts are not ansi54. so now thr issue is new bulbs or new balasts??
Confu...

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Confuten1,
two issues here, digital ballasts is one, burning position is another.

digital ballasts with these lamps seems to be a hit or miss thing. there are not yet standards for these digital ballasts, so the combination of ballast/lamp doesn't always work. some farmers report lots of experience with no problems, some report problems. i'm afraid this is going to continue until the industry gets the standards together. it might be ten years before we see this sorted out.

lamp position can cause the problems you described, and it should be an easy one to resolve . . . . but Eye Hortilux has confused this issue for this lamp.

the technical bulletin you linked to:

lists the burning position as "HOR +/- 30 deg."

another Eye Hortilux publication lists the burning position as "Universal"(which means it may be used horizontal or vertical or anything in between):

both publications are for the LU1000MH/HTL/EN

call Hortilux back, get past the customer service guy and to the engineering staff.

P

pure arghan

the problem lyes in the 15ft corde

So 2 of my 3 1k lights are Hortilux dual arch (super blue). I run bare bulb vertical set up. Quantum balast CAP light cords 15 ft.

About a month ago, one of the horti straight melted the metal from the blub to the light fixture and burned a hole in the glass ,also straight cracked the ceramic fixture it was attached to(im assuming from the heat), so that shit had to be 700degrees +. sum scary shit!! any ways, took it back to my hydro guy, he replaced it and I moved on. Today@ lights on, the 2nd horti( that hadnt burn out) started to flicker, filled the bulb with a wierd "gas" and them shut off. WTF!!!.
Is this normal for these bulbs, am i doing something wrong? I mean dude, I spending 200$ per bulb I expect these to be working perfect they are less than 2 months old.
I read somewhere that horti jus recently changed their bulb set up to be more compatible with digital balasts( new boxs says e-balast compatible). HAVE THEY CHANGED THE DUAL ARCH SUPER BLUE too?

If anyone can share some info on this matter with me i would greatly appiciate it, also their experiences with these bulbs can be posted here.

BTW, despite almost buring my shit down, im not knockin these bulbs, they seem to be producing better buds and trich devlopment than my digilux advanced blue, but still to early to tell.

Confu...

the problem that you are finding is not from the bulb but from your 15ft cord, thats to long for a resnable size cable to be used because the ballest you have will probly be balenced for about 5ft or there abouts, the outhere thing is that the longer a cable is the heaver it must be to take the buld up of power when in use, thats why the lecky cable going into your house is alot biger than say your sockte cables, an outher factor is the amout of watts your using 1000, the easyest why to explane this is say watts are like mph(miles per hour on your car) so the more watts you have the faster the "car is going" and 1000 watts is a furrei.
so wot im geting at is this: wrong cable diamiter + large load on cable = heat at both cable ends and big chance or fire.
an other way to view it is its like a fuse, the thicker the fuse wire is the longer it can take a havey load.
would't till your store how long your ballaest to light cord is, they would be looing money for the bulb.
if you need help to work out wot cable you need to have safe and problem free let me know wot your ballest is, wot bulb your using and light fixture and ill help you out no problem.
hope this helps and good luck with all your grows

420king-MASSES

im not sure but i dont think dual arcs are ment for vertical growing i think because of the mh/hps combo they have to be run horizontally

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I run 25ft cords on quantums with the standard horti 1k. My shits never melted. This shits scary, I had a dream about my grow burning my house down, makes me paranoid. That was after I talked to a guy that had one of those fans that blows in a w burn down part of his house.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Confuten1,
two issues here, digital ballasts is one, burning position is another.

digital ballasts with these lamps seems to be a hit or miss thing. there are not yet standards for these digital ballasts, so the combination of ballast/lamp doesn't always work. some farmers report lots of experience with no problems, some report problems. i'm afraid this is going to continue until the industry gets the standards together. it might be ten years before we see this sorted out.

lamp position can cause the problems you described, and it should be an easy one to resolve . . . . but Eye Hortilux has confused this issue for this lamp.

the technical bulletin you linked to:

lists the burning position as "HOR +/- 30 deg."

another Eye Hortilux publication lists the burning position as "Universal"(which means it may be used horizontal or vertical or anything in between):

both publications are for the LU1000MH/HTL/EN

call Hortilux back, get past the customer service guy and to the engineering staff.

Papa, always appriciate ur knowledge, U BREAK IT DOWN BRO!! Neways, reguarding the operating position, on the box it says ok fir both veri and horizontal(when the first 1 burned up that was my first guess). I will take ur advise and try to contact their engineering dept.
Thnx,
Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
the problem that you are finding is not from the bulb but from your 15ft cord, thats to long for a resnable size cable to be used because the ballest you have will probly be balenced for about 5ft or there abouts, the outhere thing is that the longer a cable is the heaver it must be to take the buld up of power when in use, thats why the lecky cable going into your house is alot biger than say your sockte cables, an outher factor is the amout of watts your using 1000, the easyest why to explane this is say watts are like mph(miles per hour on your car) so the more watts you have the faster the "car is going" and 1000 watts is a furrei.
so wot im geting at is this: wrong cable diamiter + large load on cable = heat at both cable ends and big chance or fire.
an other way to view it is its like a fuse, the thicker the fuse wire is the longer it can take a havey load.
would't till your store how long your ballaest to light cord is, they would be looing money for the bulb.
if you need help to work out wot cable you need to have safe and problem free let me know wot your ballest is, wot bulb your using and light fixture and ill help you out no problem.
hope this helps and good luck with all your grows

Thnx, Pure, Much respect dude, Ima take u up on this, Ill Pm u another time man.

Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
im not sure but i dont think dual arcs are ment for vertical growing i think because of the mh/hps combo they have to be run horizontally

420, yeah their cool fir verti set up, atleast thats what they say on some literature.

Confu...

vaporedout

vaporedout

wow, that was a close one, all the more reason to have a smoke detector in your room. mine are all wired so if one goes off the others do as well. sounds annoying but so would re-buying everything in my house (not to mention my kitties). safety first...........then teamwork(saul)

squarepusher

squarepusher

dont know the model number, its their dual arc(super blue). i just spoke with customer service at hortilux, dude told me that bulb SHOULD NOT be used with a digital balast because no digital balast is ANSI 54 approved. i told him they should really warn the consumer about this due to the dangers of malfunction, he replyed ," it says on the box only use with ANSI54 balasts". come to find out that means it inly works with magnetic balasts, notdigital . to me this needs to be better stated, no dumbass (like me) know digi balasts are not ansi54. so now thr issue is new bulbs or new balasts??
Confu...

its a sales standpoint. They don't want to clearly say "These do not work with digital ballasts, or these will explode if used with digital ballasts" ...

because they will get less sales. Very ripe for a lawsuit with this kind of shady behavior ... for now DIGILUX

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
wow, that was a close one, all the more reason to have a smoke detector in your room. mine are all wired so if one goes off the others do as well. sounds annoying but so would re-buying everything in my house (not to mention my kitties). safety first...........then teamwork(saul)

Forsure bra,

Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
its a sales standpoint. They don't want to clearly say "These do not work with digital ballasts, or these will explode if used with digital ballasts" ...

because they will get less sales. Very ripe for a lawsuit with this kind of shady behavior ... for now DIGILUX

SquareP, I thought the same thing bout the less sales, and the law suit. Also I am; as of an hour ago, rockin 3 Digilux. GOOD MINDS THINK ALIKE.
Peace.

Confu...

S

SSHZ

Thanks guys........ I was thinking about switching off to these. I'll stay with my Sun Pulse after seeing this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom