Hortilux ? Lamp change time!!!!

• Thread starter saner1r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

saner1r

All right so I have been using Hortilux lamps for sometime now. They are the only lamps I have used. Looking for a cheaper yet just effective lamp that will replace the Horilux.

So here are my questions...
Did you switch from Hotilux?
What lamps do you use now?
What is the cost of the lamp?
Is the yield the same or better?!?!?!?!
What about the taste and quality? I know t,q are on the growers as well.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I used to buy the Hortilux by the case, 6 bulbs per case, for 65 bucks a bulb, through an online retailer. Now Hortilux is making all the retailers charge MSRP, which is like $120 bucks a bulb! I bought two cases of the USHIO bulbs instead, I think they were 70 bucks.... and they claim 146,000 lumens, which is 1000 more than the Hortilux. Yield on my last crop (first with USHIO) was really good....

www.plantlightinghydroponics.com

S

saner1r

Sweet thanks for the input! I will have to try them out!

I have been getting the Hortilux from about $90-105 here.

C

CT Guy

If you're at 400W and have a magnetic ballast, I'd highly recommend the Philips CMH bulb. Cheaper, longer lasting, excellent spectrum.....can use for all stages of plant growth.

S

slunk

If you're at 400W and have a magnetic ballast, I'd highly recommend the Philips CMH bulb. Cheaper, longer lasting, excellent spectrum.....can use for all stages of plant growth.

I just ran a CMH through my 400w magnetic ballast during veg, and the growth rate, bushiness and health were outstanding. I continued two weeks into 12/12 before switching to HPS. Have you run one through flowering?

C

CT Guy

I just ran a CMH through my 400w magnetic ballast during veg, and the growth rate, bushiness and health were outstanding. I continued two weeks into 12/12 before switching to HPS. Have you run one through flowering?

Not personally, but I know many growers that have. I'm using 2 of them for my veg and mother plants and then running two 1000W Digilux HPS bulbs with Blockbuster Reflectors in a 8x4 Secret Jardin tent.

I've got some very nerdy, researching friends that are in college for plant physiology and they have read many many articles on lighting and spectrum, and that's what I based my setup on. My friends really like that particular CMH bulb for it's lighting spectrum, and I do know people who have successfully used it in flower.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Sweet thanks for the input! I will have to try them out!

I have been getting the Hortilux from about $90-105 here.

wow that is a lil pricey>>your hydro guy is an asshole:) they should be 75 a copy max.

eye hortilux has always been my choice:harvest:

gtd:passingjoint:

420king-MASSES

i grew side by side with the eye hortilux and a plantmax bulb i paid 117 for the 600 watt eye and 45 for the plantmax---the eye produced more leaf to same amount of bud when compared to the plantmax bulb so in my very high opinion the eye hortis are not worth the money same amount of bud with more trim time for an extra 60-70 bucks--plantmax bulbs all the way imvho

P

primeform

next question is how often are you guys replacing your hortilux 1000w? Ive been runnin them 2 rounds but I just bought a light sensor and it doesnt seem like the lumens have fallen that far off from a new bulb.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
next question is how often are you guys replacing your hortilux 1000w? Ive been runnin them 2 rounds but I just bought a light sensor and it doesnt seem like the lumens have fallen that far off from a new bulb.

I replace mine once a year.... and I have a lumen meter, they lose about 10% in a year...... that will vary based on power fulctuations, I grow in an area where the power flickers a bit... wears out the bulbs quicker.

I

ibTheMan

I change em every 6 mos, they lose around 6% by that time.

so you change your bulbs at only 2090 hours? (at 12/12) thats a big waist of cash and good bulbs.
eye claims 24000 hours, i run um about 12000 hours then replace.
ive took measurements with a $500 light meter and the bulbs are barely broke in at 2000 hours.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Wheres the cheapest place to get 400W CHM bulbs at?

Peace!

E

erudite

so you change your bulbs at only 2090 hours? (at 12/12) thats a big waist of cash and good bulbs.
ive took measurements with a $500 light meter and the bulbs are barely broke in at 2000 hours.

RETURN ON INVESTMENT, bulbs are cheap compared to what you can miss out on. So you run your bulbs for nearly 3 years of 12/12 before tossing them?

IMHO its foolish to trust the manufacturer's word on how long it will last. Sure it'll fire but if you're missing out on just 7g you've already made your setup inefficient to the point you should just get a new bulb.

I only need .75 gallons of gas to get from point a to point b and I have 1 gallon in the tank.... wise to get more gas right?

either way "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man" - The Dude

420Gator

420Gator

6 mos does seem really fast and ive read ppl saying the bulbs get brighter before they start to fade

when did u notice them start to fade?

S

saner1r

6 mos does seem really fast and ive read ppl saying the bulbs get brighter before they start to fade

when did u notice them start to fade?

I have not noticed any change I have just been used to changing at about 1 year or three grows. Also I like to have back ups on hand.

I have talked to many growers locally and most say about one year. Yet I have talked to respected growers that have been pulling down for generations and they say use them for as long as you can. Somewhat like ibTheMan mentioned above. My friend that is in the lighting industry and he seems to agree in keeping the bulb/lamp for as long as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom