Hortilux Super Blue 1000w Dual Arc

• Thread starter scrapiron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

scrapiron

I was wondering if anyone uses the Hortilux Blue Dual Arc bulbs. I picked up a 1000w ballast and hood setup for $50 last week, which is too big for my setup.... so why not just go all the way and buy a $175 light bulb too, right?!
Anyway, it will be used for Flowering. If anyone has experience with this bulb in specific, pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I use them now in veg and flower and love them, the price is the only drawback IMO

Tex

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
Just picked up one of these for the veg room myself, waiting to see the results...

J

Jalisco Kid

Shame they do not make them vertical. Sats like them. JK

S

scrapiron

Well from what I have seen, they are the very latest in lighting. I have never been a big proponent of straight HPS during flower. You miss out on sooo much!

L

l33t

I never liked the sound of the dual arc lamps but seems they can be good.

So you guys that have worked with these , did you find them to have the penetration of the normal 1k hps lights?

S

scrapiron

l33t there was a thread on this several months ago which made me hesitant to buy it. Jadins Journey said "The dual core only produces 2680 footcandles at 30" from the light while the HPS puts out 4350 footcandles at the same distance."

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
l33t there was a thread on this several months ago which made me hesitant to buy it. Jadins Journey said "The dual core only produces 2680 footcandles at 30" from the light while the HPS puts out 4350 footcandles at the same distance."

At 30"? thats about 22" higher than I ever like to go above my plants. thee is about 30,000 initial lumen difference but the mixed spectrum offsets the loss in lumens IMO. Way different lookin plants under the dual arc for sure. I am about to run them exclusively in my 1k setups.

Tex

sky high

sky high

I haven't kept up on the technology since i closed the store, TK....

what's the advantage to running these lamps over say...just mixing in a solid MH lamp in between 2 hps's? Any idea?

just wondering. I have a case of 1000's and various other one-offs still sitting here from inventory so I won't be switching for awhile...but the info would be good to know if anyone is on it.

peace, love, marijuana...

s h

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I haven't kept up on the technology since i closed the store, TK....

what's the advantage to running these lamps over say...just mixing in a solid MH lamp in between 2 hps's? Any idea?

just wondering. I have a case of 1000's and various other one-offs still sitting here from inventory so I won't be switching for awhile...but the info would be good to know if anyone is on it.

peace, love, marijuana...

s h

Pretty much the same thing but squeezed into a single 1000w tube..I like (2) 1k hps and a single 1k mh over a few plants, it really kicks but I have room and time to pay attention.

I here ya on the one-offs cases around here as well..lol

Tex

S

scrapiron

TK, have you found them any cheaper than $175? I found some on e-bay--

I hear you can get them for 150 with free shipping. ?

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
At 30"? thats about 22" higher than I ever like to go above my plants. thee is about 30,000 initial lumen difference but the mixed spectrum offsets the loss in lumens IMO. Way different lookin plants under the dual arc for sure. I am about to run them exclusively in my 1k setups.

Tex

that distance was for measuremnt purposes only, not the distance for growing. TK is correct in that they do produce less lumens but the spectrum more than compensates. Price from my hydro store has dropped from $189 down to $169 since they started carrying them.

jj

S

Spacecadet01

so these bulb can be used from veg to flower with out change? what are the differences you see in the plants grown under these lights?

homebrew420

homebrew420

If I had my druthers, I would not run the dual arc ever. The total usable lumens, PAR, is still so much less than if you were to use a 400cmh and a 600w hps. The lumen output alone is much less than running the two lights in conjunction. Although I do really dig the conveinience of a single light. The price like Tex said is off-putting. I figure that the two lights provide more light possibly better light. And Tex is right on, the plants do look much different under these lights, still heavy on the orange end but much easier to spot problems. Good luck.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I like the single heat source compared to a 400w and a 600w setup plus your over all cost is cheaper with the dual arc..1 ballast, 1 hood, 1 bulb, and 1 heat source while still gettin full spectrum light out of a 1k is the ticket IMO

If I had to choose between two bulbs settin on the table for my 1k, I am grabbin the dual arc over the Hortilux Super HPS everytime..

Solarmax makes a cheaper one and so does Uishi I believe

We are also comparing initial lumens which is only accurate for the first month or so, if that long. If your really on your game, you are replacing your bulbs every 90 or so days anyways in order to stay in that output lumen sweet spot, they deminish with the quickness after about 120 days, not that you will notice at all but it is spiraling downward I assure you. Probably a 90 day old Hortilux Super HPS lamp with it's 145,000 initial lumens is roughly the same a as a new Dual arc, I mean we are only talkin about 35,000 lumens between the two anyways from the get which is roughly a 250w lamp. The difference in a 600/400 setup is really only 27,000 initial lumens so like a 150w lamp difference in initial lumens.

Another thing is that most mag ballast are not goin to fire that bulb to it's full capacity unless it is brand new or with brand new capacitors and ignitors. The cheap ones that come in the ballast are about the crappiest ones available to man. Alot of times when you are getting deminished results or you bulb just doesn't seem as bright, that is is the reason. The ballast manufacturers setup hydro stores with all these components because it is an easy field fix and you can charge a bit ot two for the service. Most mag ballast manufactures will tell you that to maintain the ideal/optimum output levels from the ballast those particular components should probably be replaced on a an annual basis. Why do you think there are whole sections of hydro catalogs with nothing but these components? gotta replace them as regular maintance

Tex

R

rebornfarmer

I like the single heat source compared to a 400w and a 600w setup plus your over all cost is cheaper with the dual arc..1 ballast, 1 hood, 1 bulb, and 1 heat source while still gettin full spectrum light out of a 1k is the ticket IMO

If I had to choose between two bulbs settin on the table for my 1k, I am grabbin the dual arc over the Hortilux Super HPS everytime..

Solarmax makes a cheaper one and so does Uishi I believe

We are also comparing initial lumens which is only accurate for the first month or so, if that long. If your really on your game, you are replacing your bulbs every 90 or so days anyways in order to stay in that output lumen sweet spot, they deminish with the quickness after about 120 days, not that you will notice at all but it is spiraling downward I assure you. Probably a 90 day old Hortilux Super HPS lamp with it's 145,000 initial lumens is roughly the same a as a new Dual arc, I mean we are only talkin about 35,000 lumens between the two anyways from the get which is roughly a 250w lamp. The difference in a 600/400 setup is really only 27,000 initial lumens so like a 150w lamp difference in initial lumens.

Another thing is that most mag ballast are not goin to fire that bulb to it's full capacity unless it is brand new or with brand new capacitors and ignitors. The cheap ones that come in the ballast are about the crappiest ones available to man. Alot of times when you are getting deminished results or you bulb just doesn't seem as bright, that is is the reason. The ballast manufacturers setup hydro stores with all these components because it is an easy field fix and you can charge a bit ot two for the service. Most mag ballast manufactures will tell you that to maintain the ideal/optimum output levels from the ballast those particular components should probably be replaced on a an annual basis. Why do you think there are whole sections of hydro catalogs with nothing but these components? gotta replace them as regular maintance

Tex

Good post Tex, i was always wondering about the dual arc bulbs. My only question is their failure rate. How many reported problems with lets say the MH portion of the bulb fails and now you only have the 600 HPS working, or does it fail completly if one burns out does the other? just wondering. seems like a better bulb IMO just makes sense even with less lumes. Full spectrum > 27,000 lumes
peace..

Top Bottom