House AC or Portable AC

• Thread starter diesel23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

diesel23

Hi All, summer's coming and I wanted some advice on cooling my room. I have a 10x12x8 room with 3 1000w aircooled into the attic. I have a big ass ac unit attached to the house but i don't know if it's more efficient to use it to cool one room because it seems like a lot of power being wasted cooling down the entire house. Should I get a portable ac unit. Please help.

F

Fear

You can save alot by getting a portable ac just for the one room. You look at 30amp or 50amps to run the main ac and 9 amps for the one in your room.

J

Jalisco Kid

You seem to be saying you do not use the House a/c much. You could put the t-stat for the a/c in your room and block off the vents where you do not want a/c. Of course I guess the depends on where you live (outside temps) and the thermal load on the a/c because you do not want that thing constantly cycling all the time. JK

D

dusty

I'd get a 12,000 btu mini split if all you wanted to run was 3k.

D

diesel23

thanks for the input. Now i just have to find a good AC unit.

lollipopman

lollipopman

i HAVE A PORTABLE UNIT AND IT SUCKS,POWER GOES OUT THE UNIT DONT COME BACK ON, AND SO MUCH HEAT COMES OUT THE BACK... GO WITH WHAT DUSTY SAID THOSE MINI SPLIT ARE VERY NICE, JUST BOUGHT ONE ON EBAY FOR 850

R

Rural_GrowOp

I use a 500W window unit in my room with 2K burning and keep my temps around 82. Thats only 5 watts and I only paid $99 for the A/C. As long as your insulated well and you have air cooled hoods you don't need a huge A/C imho.

S

Sway

dont buy a portable they are a waste of money. if u cant afford a split unit then buy a large btu window unit. i run a 15kbtu window unit for my flower (2k watts) and a 12kbtu for veg. i grow in a garage that gets super hot in the summer. keeps things cool in the rooms, but i run my flower room lights on at night to help. couldnt even imagine running it during the day. to fuckin hot here in the valley.

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Only use a portable AC when you absolutely have to. I think that pretty much sums it up.

bigscoot

bigscoot

i dont have a portable but the few peeps i know that do say they are OK but dunno personaly

M

marijuano

im new to this.. i got this little wooden house in my garage. my cuzin n i smoke in it all the time. n now we wana start growin in it. it seems perfect cuz its not to big. we call it the midget house, we got a stereo, lights and a portable a/c unit in ther!

wat would i need to start growin in it?

Top Bottom