House Ac Problems

• Thread starter Umphreysfan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

Umphreysfan

I've got an 8in fan running 24/7 and exhausting outside. The room isn't completely sealed. Roughly 250 SQ feet and in the basement.

I've got no problems with my room staying at a good temperature. It's 68-70 with lights on, so no issues.

The issue is that my AC can't keep up in my house. I have it set for 75 and it will not get cooler than 77.

I'm guessing the fan is sucking air from the rest of the house and exhausting it out.

Anyone experience similar issues? Have any recommendations on what to do?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Do you service your ac every year?
If the A coil in the attic/basement is clogged with dust or the filter is dirty it wont cool right.
If the coil in the big fan unit outside is covered in weeds or clogged with dust it also wont cool right.
If you grab the lines running to your furnace or to your outside unit, the insulated one should be ice cold and the other should be warm. If one isnt cold then you have a leak in the system and need a repair or just more freon if its a slow leak.

U

Umphreysfan

The AC system is brand new, just installed a couple weeks ago. I've got my guy coming over this week to take a look at it. Though everything appears to be in fine shape. The vents are blowing nice cool frosty air. I've had this problem at other houses in the past, where the AC can't keep up cooling the house, and each HVAC guy I had over said the same thing... that the fan is pulling air.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I'm in a basement, so I may be of some help.

1 why do you need to exhaust the air from the basement outside?

2 what air are you exhausting? Grow room a.c exhaust ., a.c. hood air, room air (hopefully after a scrubber.

I've grown in 3 separate locations, all in a basements. I've never exhausted any air except the hot add exhaust air from My portable ac. I recirculate all a.c. hood air and veg room air. My flower room air is kept separate from everything else (sealed).

If your not exhausting hot a.c. exhaust air, then imo I see no need to exhaust any air at all. This is yr 5 for me this way, always doing great.

U

Umphreysfan

1.) I suppose I don't need to exhaust outside, I just always have.

2.) I use LECs so I do not have to cool each hood. I'm pulling air through a carbon filter. That's it.

I suppose I could re circulate the air, however, I'm concerned that won't fix my problem because the fan will still be running, pulling air downstairs from the rest of the house.

I thought about buying a speed controller for the fan so I can turn it down, or putting the fan on a timer and have to turn off every 30 minutes?? I dunno.

FWIW, I'm sure my home doesn't have the greatest ducting and insulation as its an older home. But regardless of that, it still seems like I should be able to get temps down lower than 77.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

If your growing downstairs, do you have a door to get down there? If it's shut, don't worry about it. When my a.c. kicks on, I'm exhausting at least 400cfm when it's running. I've never had any issues.

If you don't exhaust outside, why do you think the fan us going to suck upstairs air down to the basement? It's not taking basement air and blowing it outside, your just moving air around is all.

And i run 7x cmh/lec and love it!

U

Umphreysfan

Hmmm... I guess my logic is that the fan is going to continue to create a "suction" regardless of where I'm exhausting air. I realize by re circulating the air, I'm keeping it inside, but that doesn't help my upstairs. The way it's been explained to me is that the fan is so powerful it will pull air through cracks, along with through open spaces (in my case, down the stairs).

There is no door to the basement. The room is not 100% sealed, so I suppose I could work on doing that by getting some spray foam.

hiboy

hiboy

Is your house insulated
Do you have single pane windows
Try getting your house cool without that 8" fan on
See what happens
Your temps are too cold in your basement
Better results at 78
Hb

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Just your over thinking it. Id not go back to your guy for any more advise. He/she doesn't seem like they have a handle on how negative and positive pressure works.

Just by putting a fan somwhere will do absolutely nothing but move air around said area. Nothing more , nothing less.

Top Bottom