House and Garden - Mag deficiency?

• Thread starter mastagrowa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mastagrowa

mastagrowa

Howdy all -

Switched over to the H&G full suite recently after some successful experiments.
While the flowers look great, I notice some signs of nute deficiency - necrotic and yellow spots on the leaves...some strains look worse than others. Also some dark veins on pale leaves esp. upper leaves.

I was told by a fellow grow-bro who uses H&G that adding epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) at the ratio of 1 tsp/5 gal works to eliminate this deficiency.

Can't argue with the final results but gotta wonder how much better they COULD be if the micronutes were sorted ....

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm in coco by the way, DTW.

Thanks,
MG

socalpunx

socalpunx

whats funny is my friend swears by H&G but everytime I used it,I wasnt really impressed to much I didnt have a calmg issue but i always use CaMg+ from general organics it has o-o-o npk ratio it also has some fermented sugars that help feed your benni bacteria its always worked good with all brands of fertilizer.I use it at 5ml-a gallon everytime water or feed "im in coco also"

K

Kit Kat

I had the same problems using H&G in Coco DTW. I started at 1/2 tsp per gallon to correct, and now use 1/4 tsp per gallon as maintenance to prevent.

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

I had the same problems using H&G in Coco DTW. I started at 1/2 tsp per gallon to correct, and now use 1/4 tsp per gallon as maintenance to prevent.

U used epsom salt or Cal mag??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Howdy all -

While the flowers look great, I notice some signs of nute deficiency - necrotic and yellow spots on the leaves...some strains look worse than others. Also some dark veins on pale leaves esp. upper leaves.
That is not a Mg-. Mg- shows on lower leaves only.
I was told by a fellow grow-bro who uses H&G that adding epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) at the ratio of 1 tsp/5 gal works to eliminate this deficiency.

Can't argue with the final results but gotta wonder how much better they COULD be if the micronutes were sorted ....

Thanks,
MG
Coco creates issues because of the way it locks onto Ca (immobile) and Mg (mobile) along with having excess K.

Pix would be helpful, at least for learning, especially if you're saying that adding in the MgSO4 (has S in it, too, yeah? Yeah) corrected the problem.

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

That is not a Mg-. Mg- shows on lower leaves only.

Coco creates issues because of the way it locks onto Ca (immobile) and Mg (mobile) along with having excess K.

Pix would be helpful, at least for learning, especially if you're saying that adding in the MgSO4 (has S in it, too, yeah? Yeah) corrected the problem.

I've been growing in coco over seven years now and never had leaves that looked this way.

I'll post pics shortly....thanks.

HouseNGarden

HouseNGarden

Howdy all -

Thanks,
MG

Cal-Mag deficiencies are extremely common in coco based mediums due to the way that coco fiber adsorbs calcium and magnesium. Are you using Cocos A & Cocos B? These base nutrients are made to prevent such deficiencies as they contain levels of calcium and magnesium that are suitable to most varieties. Additional Cal-Mag supplements may provide better results for more fickle strains.

mastagrowa

mastagrowa

Cal-Mag deficiencies are extremely common in coco based mediums due to the way that coco fiber adsorbs calcium and magnesium. Are you using Cocos A & Cocos B? These base nutrients are made to prevent such deficiencies as they contain levels of calcium and magnesium that are suitable to most varieties. Additional Cal-Mag supplements may provide better results for more fickle strains.

Yes i am using MagiCal now. When i first began using H&G Cocos i didnt use any Cal-Mag supplements but introduced them after seeing these symptoms appear. Now looking much better all around. Dosing at around 2ml/gal.

Top Bottom