House & Garden Algen Extract

• Thread starter Smokey503ski
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I have been using the whole line of House and Garden coco.
My question is about the Algen Extract. The dude at the shop sold me on the line. I got home to get the nute calculator and they do not have the AE on there feed chart. I called and asked the customer support and the guy told me it was due to them changing the mixing ratios and they did not want to spend the money on changing it on there fancy catelog they give out. So he said to go ahead and still use it.
It is not on there feed chart so should I use it or not? What are the benefits of using it compared to not using it with there line?
My experience with it is I dont like how it makes the res all nasty. It leaves a film on the walls of the res and it is a pain to clean it every week. I dont mind rinsing a res out weekly but scrubbing it gets a little old.
Should I use it or not?

I was using CNS-17 coco for a few runs and liked the simplicity of it. But it did lack the smell and taste for some reason in the final meds.
I like playing around with side by side tests to see what works best for me.
A few close friends in my community have swithced out from there coco to there aqua flakes for growing in coco. Anyone have any experience with that either?

A

AbusiveOGK

The feeding chart I am reading from right now shows Algen Extract at 3.8 ml/gal for cuttings/seedlings and for veg weeks 1-3. Don't see anything about it for use in flowering. I don't use the AE. Everything else but that. Hope that helps.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

The bottle of Algen Extract I have has a new label on it saying that to use only 1-2mls per gallon. That is why I called on it. It is no longer on there website feedchart calculator.
Are people using the AE in there MPB's and dealing with the dark film it leaves behind or are they cleaning them every week?

N

noone88

My bottle says 1-2ml per gallon. A white sticker near the cap with red lettering.

T

Trichomie

i use the soil a/b feed chart from their website which also still has algen directions on it .

S

StickyIckys

It is 1-2ml per gallon like the other said.

It is really nice stuff. It definitely helps things bush up more. I use it in conjunction with (among other things) "Pre" Shoot Stimulant from the yellowbottles line (www.yellowbottles.com). That stuff is really amazing as well.

N

noone88

Total derail, but I was an avid user of the yellow bottles, but have stopped using them.

If you look at the labels of what's contained in these high-priced additives, it's almost always a combination of sea kelp products, fulvic/humics, amino acids, vitamins.

Last cycle, I used the whole Bloom product lines (ultra, phat, ooze, final) and saw no difference compared to my regular regime of H&G Algen, Diamond Nectar, Ginormous, and Overdrive, which all contain very similar ingredients as the yellow bottles.

The only thing I still consider using is Ultra Bloom which lets me see flowering sets within the first week.

IMO, of course

S

StickyIckys

Oh for sure. Not saying the whole line is great, haven't used it all myself yet...though I do want to do a test run of them, H/G, AN, and a mix all up against each other.

The "Pre" though is amazing. You can physically see the difference. I'm getting og's that are normally 6-8 inches between nodes at times, down to about 3-4 typically. When I run out or don't add the Pre you tell just by looking at the different levels of growth.

I find it works very, very well with the algean extract.

Total derail, but I was an avid user of the yellow bottles, but have stopped using them.

If you look at the labels of what's contained in these high-priced additives, it's almost always a combination of sea kelp products, fulvic/humics, amino acids, vitamins.

Last cycle, I used the whole Bloom product lines (ultra, phat, ooze, final) and saw no difference compared to my regular regime of H&G Algen, Diamond Nectar, Ginormous, and Overdrive, which all contain very similar ingredients as the yellow bottles.

The only thing I still consider using is Ultra Bloom which lets me see flowering sets within the first week.

IMO, of course

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Trying to stick to House and Garden here guys. I appreciate the info on the other nutes.
My question that has not been answered is are people cleanin out there reseviors and if they grow in MPB's what are they doing about the film from the AE leaves behind?
In my res when I use the AE it leaves a dark film on the res and leaves lines on down the walls of the res when it goes thru its watering cycyle like on a glass of beer when you drink it.
Do people clean there res and MPB buckets every week cus of this film or leave it?

Thanks, Smokey

S

StickyIckys

I think you should always rinse out your res. It does leave a black streak look behind but give it a nice rinse with some pressure out of a hose and you're good.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I used the Algen Extract up until my 3rd week of flower. Followed DD's nute schedule for Kush's and my Blackberry's seem very happy. It does leave a bit of crud around my res but I just scrubbed it down really good between changes.

L

Lost

Trying to stick to House and Garden here guys. I appreciate the info on the other nutes.
My question that has not been answered is are people cleanin out there reseviors and if they grow in MPB's what are they doing about the film from the AE leaves behind?
In my res when I use the AE it leaves a dark film on the res and leaves lines on down the walls of the res when it goes thru its watering cycyle like on a glass of beer when you drink it.
Do people clean there res and MPB buckets every week cus of this film or leave it?

Thanks, Smokey

Smokey -

I am using Algen Extract this run as well as my last run. I will probablly stop using it around week 3 or 4 of flower. I does have a nasty build up but I scrub everything in between runs. Week to week i make sure I have enough enzymes and benie bacteria to break it down but it does build up. The bigger the plant the more it builds up. I have not had an issue because the palnt only has a max 10-11 week life in the MPB and with the 27 gallon size tote, there is little reason to worry about the build up. You will notice that the last 10 gallons is very brown.. (probablly best to flush with 60 gallons and re-pump that out, then fill but I have never done that..)

L

Lost

Blackburry Kuch! I want!! lolol.. Why can I not find this in Socal?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Speaking of Blackbery Kush. Here is a pic of mine. This is clone only. Super elite strain here in Portland.

I really thank you guys for your input on this about the AE. I will keep doing what I am doing and wash and scrub the res till it is clean.

This pic of the Blackberry was in flower for 9 weeks.

SDC11243
SDC11238
BBK 4
BBK 5
BBK6
SDC11245
M

Mmmmasonite

Nice!!! Looks like the H&G is treatin you well.....Keep up the good work...Scrub that rez. every week!

H

HouseAndGarden

Algen Extract is a blend of norwegian sea kelp, the fastest growing plant on the planet at over a foot per day.
H&G cold water extracts the live beneficials which promote fast leafy green growth.
Algen Extract should be used all the way through veg @1-2ml/gl
Don't use it too long into to flowering as it is a growth stimulator and can make your plants stretch during bloom.

L

Lost

Speaking of Blackbery Kush. Here is a pic of mine. This is clone only. Super elite strain here in Portland.

I really thank you guys for your input on this about the AE. I will keep doing what I am doing and wash and scrub the res till it is clean.

This pic of the Blackberry was in flower for 9 weeks.

Looking great!! Can't wait till my BBK is done!!

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
Algen Extract is a blend of norwegian sea kelp, the fastest growing plant on the planet at over a foot per day.
H&G cold water extracts the live beneficials which promote fast leafy green growth.
Algen Extract should be used all the way through veg @1-2ml/gl
Don't use it too long into to flowering as it is a growth stimulator and can make your plants stretch during bloom.

word, I was just about to say I only use Algen Extract during veg and it def gives the plants some extra vigor... I would recommend introducing it to your feed schedule and seeing what difference it makes.

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Just curious why you guys cut it out in week three of flower or in veg? :wondering

Latest posts

Top Bottom