How about a fan recommendation?

• Thread starter Rickcin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i love fans. i use them a lot. i have a lot of small (4-6") mostly oscillating.

i have plants at differing stages, so i use fans to move humidity needed for young plants away from flowering plants. i use them to move pockets of heat/humidity, i use them to dial in a certain temp and humidity.

i use lots of small fans all on smart plugs all set to go on and off with smart sensors.

as for the fan/filter, i think the 4" is fine, and the 6" is too big, but can be turned to a lower setting.

i use mine, i have a smart setup and i use it to adjust the speed of the fan throughout the changing day. i would not like to only be able to use a small portion of the fans speed. but most dont do it like i do, so im guessing the "turned down" part wont bother you.

as for fans, is the tent where the bottom vents can be open and get fresh air? the exhaust will pull air through those vents which causes a "breeze" (not much, but definite circulation), but if you have a bushy plant that grabs moisture then you might want a fan on it, or defoliation might do it, but youd have to stay on it. and i have found that pockets of hot moist air stay in certain spaces, so a fan might help there.

if you get a fan, just get some cheap fan. i have bought lots and have found that they all break or stop oscillating or dont fit where you need... so just a $20 fan, and get another next year. you can spend a lot of $20s before you hit the high dollar fans that might last 2 years.

you dont need a hurricane in the tent, you just need air to move a bit so nothing stagnates.

and on the fan/filter you want to check the cpm and get one that works for your tent. you can get 6" fans that are 400 or 100 cmp, or anything between. so be careful when shopping, that inch thing isnt the only thing you need to look at.

chuck88

chuck88

Honeywell HT900C TurboForce® 7" Power Air Circulator, Black, with 90 Degree Head Pivot, Eco-Friendly, and Easy to Use Fan

I use these in my grow room and in my house 24/7. After about a year they will get a little noisy, put a couple of drops of oil on the shaft and good for another year, he, he..

For ~ $24 they last four or five years.

Cheers.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i wasnt thinking of the brand, i was referring to the cyclone of air.

funny though!

my issue with hurricane (or most of the clip ons) they arent made for clipping on a tent pole. if they clip and dont slide, they are pointed the wrong way or they move when zipping or unzipping the tent...

i like the stroller ones you wrap the legs around whatever. or the little desk ones that i can just clip on the bag pot. or the hand helds that i can just position around as needed. most of them are usb charged, so i just rotate them in and out as they need charged.

yes! just got 2 of the honeywell for $30 on prime day sale. i just happened to catch it with 10 min left on the sale! i love those, they work and they seem sturdy!

Rickcin

Rickcin

I do know the T4 isn't near the fan the T6 is . . . I don't know about cfm and such, however I tried using the T4 as an intake with the T6 & filter as exhaust in a cheap Vivosun 4x4. The T6 will suck the walls in running at 3-4 with the T4 running full blast without a filter. Switched the T4 for a Raxial 6" set up with a basic HVAC filter as intake and I'm much happier with the results.
I sent an email to the manufacturer with my tent size just for laughs to see if they recommend the 4 or the 6 inch model!

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I recently replaced a cheap 4 inch fan (vivosun maybe) because I wanted a some more cfm so I bought an Ac Affinity S6 (no sensors- just the fan with speed control) and I am totally disappointed with it. It seems like it has no balls. When you plug it in right out of the box you think "oh yeah this is going to be awesome" but then when you hook it up to the ducting, it just lacks any real umph until you have it cranked 100% and then its loud. It is supposedly rated at double the cfm as the Vivosun but there is no way that is reality when it has some resistance. Granted, I use the fan outside the tent, pulling air through the light and filter which isn't the most popular configuration. I would not buy another Ac Affinity fan.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That is an 'inside the tent' fan. The inlines are exhaust fans. Too strong to aim at your ladies.

Rickcin

Rickcin

That is an 'inside the tent' fan. The inlines are exhaust fans. Too strong to aim at your ladies.
I agree and if your running an charcoal exhaust fan that’s adequately sized with the bottom vents open and add any interior fan for added circulation l I’d image that’s plenty, if not too much of an air flow❗

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

I recently replaced a cheap 4 inch fan (vivosun maybe) because I wanted a some more cfm so I bought an Ac Affinity S6 (no sensors- just the fan with speed control) and I am totally disappointed with it. It seems like it has no balls. When you plug it in right out of the box you think "oh yeah this is going to be awesome" but then when you hook it up to the ducting, it just lacks any real umph until you have it cranked 100% and then its loud. It is supposedly rated at double the cfm as the Vivosun but there is no way that is reality when it has some resistance. Granted, I use the fan outside the tent, pulling air through the light and filter which isn't the most popular configuration. I would not buy another Ac Affinity fan.
U might consider replacing your filter if you’ve had it for awhile. Also high humidity can clog the filters. My ac is pulling air out of two 4x4 tents and pushing out through the filter which is even less ideal and it does just fine not even on high. You could always complain maybe you got a dud I hear they have good customer service.

Ponky

Ponky

I buy these honeywells off amazon for 20 bucks a piece. Hang them on ratchet hangers. But they're 50 bucks right now. Becuase of summer. I have like half a dozen at least. these are normally 20 so 50 is a rip off.

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

U might consider replacing your filter if you’ve had it for awhile. Also high humidity can clog the filters. My ac is pulling air out of two 4x4 tents and pushing out through the filter which is even less ideal and it does just fine not even on high. You could always complain maybe you got a dud I hear they have good customer service.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. The filter is probably the limiting factor but I guess I am too cheap as the filter still seems to be working to keep the smell down. I just run the Ac Affinity fan at 100% 24/7 and deal with the noise for now.

GrowHobo

GrowHobo

Yeah, I was thinking that too. The filter is probably the limiting factor but I guess I am too cheap as the filter still seems to be working to keep the smell down. I just run the Ac Affinity fan at 100% 24/7 and deal with the noise for now.
Hey gotta make do. Whenever you do get another filter check the cfm rating though.

FourPlants

FourPlants

I do know the T4 isn't near the fan the T6 is . . . I don't know about cfm and such, however I tried using the T4 as an intake with the T6 & filter as exhaust in a cheap Vivosun 4x4. The T6 will suck the walls in running at 3-4 with the T4 running full blast without a filter. Switched the T4 for a Raxial 6" set up with a basic HVAC filter as intake and I'm much happier with the results.
205 CFM vs 402CFM

205 CFM / 48 CU FT = 4.27
402 CFM / 200 CU FT= 2.01

Granted this doesn't account for venting, filters, bends, etc.

Rickcin

Rickcin

205 CFM vs 402CFM

205 CFM / 48 CU FT = 4.27
402 CFM / 200 CU FT= 2.01

Granted this doesn't account for venting, filters, bends, etc.
Your tents cf is the width times the length times the height so a 2x4x6 foot height tent is 48 cf so you should have at least 1cf of air exchanged every minute. So technically a fan with a cam rating of 96 cfm would provide 2 air changes per minute with no restrictions such as ducting or a filter.

Aqua Man, correct me if I’m wrong please❗

FourPlants

FourPlants

Your tents cf is the width times the length times the height so a 2x4x6 foot height tent is 48 cf so you should have at least 1cf of air exchanged every minute. So technically a fan with a cam rating of 96 cfm would provide 2 air changes per minute with no restrictions such as ducting or a filter.

Aqua Man, correct me if I’m wrong please❗

I showed 48 CF in the formula. With a T4 it would exchange the air 4.27 times a minute. The other formula shows MY tents cubic feet 5*5*8=200 which the T6 turns over 2.01 times an minute (at theoretical max without any restrictions) . It was in relation to my earlier comment about the T6 sucking the walls in on my tent.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
If your on a budget at all, I suggest this one. I've been using in a 2x4x6 tent and I'm very happy with this fan. I use a coconut coir filter, on mine, actually. So probably not as restrictive as the carbon. Overpowered with a switch is always good IMO, that way your not running it so hard... always under spec.

I run it 24/7 and it's pretty quiet, if any of that matters to you, it comes with a speed switch, and it runs exceptionally cool.... and the $$$ is right. I paid US $70.45 out the door for my 6 inch version. 4/6/8 are available, i highly suggest the 6 inch...
https://www.amazon.com/iPower-GLFAN...+Duct+Fan&qid=1625270662&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-9

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom