How and when do i use silica additives?

• Thread starter BIG M
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BIG M

How and when do i use silica additives? What exactly is this additive for. I am running a coco/perilite mix.

true grit

true grit

Helps strengthen the plant on cellular level. This means it just aids in helping in adverse environments/stresses as well as possibly helping stregthen the stems/plant itself because of cellular deposits.

It depends on what silica you use (i use dynagro protekt) and use varying rates from 4ml/g-6ml/g from early veg until wk 2-3 of bloom then I cut it. Just how I go about it...

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i use silcia blast like true grit uses his 2.5-5ml/gal (5ml/gal is 200ppm) and i use it mainly for my afgoo plants as they have weak stems and it helps strengthen them up so they can hold all the weight they throw.

N

norm

make sure you stop useing it by halfway through your flower schedule...or your herb wont burn well

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

i use silcia blast like true grit uses his 2.5-5ml/gal (5ml/gal is 200ppm) and i use it mainly for my afgoo plants as they have weak stems and it helps strengthen them up so they can hold all the weight they throw.

Are you adding that to a batch of nutes? If so do you deduct the ppm from your desired final ppm?
Or, do you mix a separate feed?

Thanks,

-TF

half baked

half baked

silica products are great, i use bio-silicon every other feed up till wk4 bloom, its strengthens the stems alot and ive noticed that with it the temps can rise above the norm and not really effect the ladies

peace hb

D

DixinCider

bro honestly use it instead of ph up. mix all you're nutes and whatnot most the time that shit comes out hella low, so add silica tell you get you're ph were you want it. ps you cant really overdose on silica and its bomby for you're pants they makes them way stronger all around.

H

harley34

what if your PH is usually around 6.5 when the nutes have been added, aint this stuff going to raise it like mad, or does the PH lower after its been added and left for a while?

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

It will raise your PH, and I disagree on not being able to add too much, you can cause some serious damage with to much silicon, you also have to be careful as some base nutrients already have a lot of silicone........it does however make a nice PH up "IF" you can use it at a proper dosage...meaning some folks have to low a PH and would have to add way to much to use it as a PH up......

Sounds like you need some good PH down harley....

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
I try not to add things unless they're needed. I use silica in veg, and also on my clones, but my water only has 40 ppm. If you've got 100 ppm water, it probably has some silica in it, it's a pretty common mineral. If you're using RO, well then you might need some. Oh, and yep, it will put your PH through the roof! Raises mine to 8.2, from 7.0 out of the well.

H

harley34

what about the ones that dont affect PH balance, like Budlink? or would these be some cheap imitation crap

Basically is there a way to add silica without causing the PH to rise, or is silica itself the thing that affects the PH.

H

harley34

put the silica in your res first, I use R/O at a 7.5 ph, I use Dyna Gro Pro Teck, or Atomic Wall, Both the same shit, 2mls per gall. Takes my ph straight to 8.5-9.2 like clockwork.
The add your base nutes, Bam!!!! Back at 5.8. The I add all my additives, depends what stage Im in but Root Excell, Drip Clean, Humics, whatever you run. Then add your Cal Mag last. Ill be satisfied with a 5.4-6.0, usually its about 5.7-5.8 on a fresh res.

If I need to go up I may use .5 mls of Pro-tek to move it up, if I ever need to go down its just humic acid, or Trinity from R/O works well to. I stop the pro-tek at 4ks 12/12.

my tap water is about 7.4, does this mean if i add silica first like you then my other stuff it will level itself out. Or does it need to be left to stand for a while etc

5tickynubz

I do the same as GoD. Protekt and trinity for raising and lowering ph. I never needed more than the recommended dose. Since changing to roots soilless about a year ago I haven't really been using either as my ph ends up at around 5.6-5.8 with my tap water.

true grit

true grit

Why does it matter if it changes ph people? Are you not gonna adjust it anyways? Thats just a normal part of adjusting feed and theres no negative about adjusting your ph.

Latest posts

Top Bottom