How and When to Flush Organic Soil to Achieve Color Changes?

• Thread starter Paka.Grow.Kona
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Paka.Grow.Kona

Paka.Grow.Kona

I want to know how I can achieve the beautiful fall colors on my buds!
What is the proper way to achieve this?
I am familiar with phosphorous and potassium deficiencies being the cause of the color changing.
I am feeding my plants quite heavily as i describe below.
Should I flush heavily to remove the nutes from the soil, or will the plants stop uptaking nutrients on their own? Ive heard folks advocate for both.
What role does Soil pH play in color changing?

A little about my grow:
Strains:
GMO - the small stunted guys on the left, not in trellis
Better than Bacon - 3 plants in the back of the trellis area, sativa phenotypes dominant, smelling very sweet and skunky
OG Kush - 2 plants in the front of the trellis area, indica phenotypes dominant, smelling peppery, leaves taco-ing from humidity and proximity to oscillating fan (from what ive read)
Environment:
Greenhouse, sungrown, 1200ft elevation in Kona Hawaii, lower 70s to upper 80s F, 60-70% RH
15 gal smart bag containers (I know theyre way over sized for 3-4 ft plants, will use 10gal next round)
Soil + Nutes:
Roots Lush Organic soil, Roots Dry Nutrient Line amendments, + once a week Terp Tea Bloom + Bloom Booster + Worm Castings brewed for 24 hours starting on week 4 flower
The Soil was amended with these dry nutes on the heavier side.
Week 8 starts today. As you can see from the photos + videos, all 3 Strains are still a few weeks away from being fully ripe.
My basic plan is to make this week the final week of feeding, followed by two weeks of flushing.
One extra consideration is the size of the container (15 gal smart bag). There is a lot of soil to flush, if that is the appropriate strategy. How much water is appropriate to flush nutes out of a container this size?

Cheers!

G

How and when to flush organic soil to achieve color changes
How and when to flush organic soil to achieve color changes 2
How and when to flush organic soil to achieve color changes 3
AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Dude, what a beautiful grow. Microbes rule the world bruv, why would you flush life away? I don’t know but your roots all organic nutes are amazing and I wouldn’t flush but that’s just how I roll.

TSD

TSD

They should naturally fade when they finish and the temps cool off and they know the end is nigh, just like regular deciduous trees... flushing isn't necessary in organics and it's actually counterproductive... just let them eat up what's left in the soil during the last couple weeks and don't add anything. I can't tell for sure from the pics, but they look like they could go for at least another month, if not more... those buds will fatten up significantly and then you need to wait for a majority of the hairs and trichomes to change.

Paka.Grow.Kona

Paka.Grow.Kona

Thanks for the thoughts everyone

I spoke to my friend who supplied me with the cuttings, and he reminded me that dropping Temps perform a good deal of the color changing, which in hawaii we won't have until December, and only a few degrees at that.

You guys also helped me recognize that there's definitely more than one more week of bud growth so no flushing anytime soon.

I think I will make this week or next the last week of amending with dry + brewed notes. After that just normal 3x week waterings until the buds fill in and the trichomes cloudy up. Whatever colors I get I'll be happy with 🤙

Cheers

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I am familiar with phosphorous and potassium deficiencies being the cause of the color changing.
Should I flush heavily to remove the nutes from the soil, or will the plants stop uptaking nutrients on their own? Ive heard folks advocate for both.

A little about my grow:
Strains:
Better than Bacon - 3 plants in the back of the trellis area, sativa phenotypes dominant, smelling very sweet and skunky
OG Kush - 2 plants in the front of the trellis area, indica phenotypes dominant, smelling peppery, leaves taco-ing from humidity and proximity to oscillating fan (from what ive read)
Environment:
Greenhouse, sungrown, 1200ft elevation in Kona Hawaii, lower 70s to upper 80s F, 60-70% RH
15 gal smart bag containers (I know theyre way over sized for 3-4 ft plants, will use 10gal next round)
Soil + Nutes:
Roots Lush Organic soil, Roots Dry Nutrient Line amendments, + once a week Terp Tea Bloom + Bloom Booster + Worm Castings brewed for 24 hours starting on week 4 flower
Week 8 starts today. As you can see from the photos + videos, all 3 Strains are still a few weeks away from being fully ripe.
My basic plan is to make this week the final week of feeding, followed by two weeks of flushing.
One extra consideration is the size of the container (15 gal smart bag). There is a lot of soil to flush, if that is the appropriate strategy. How much water is appropriate to flush nutes out of a container this size?

Cheers!

G
if you want them to fade give them RO water with 0 ppm.......at the end of their cycle.... water once and they'll start to turn color....back to back ( 3-4 days later) watering it will bleach them out. I've noticed a difference with 0 ppm water and my house 122ppm water 0 ppm fades them 122 ppm not so much...

Coatesygrow1

Coatesygrow1

Jeez! Nice set up.
They look more like 6weeks out. 4 weeks will be the harvest window probably feed them for at least a month more and then normal watering lol

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

A little about my grow:
Strains:
Environment:
Soil + Nutes:

Cheers!

G
Flushing is now passe here but not everyone adheres to that belief.....flushing to me is finishing on a water cycle but its not always possible for me to hit it right on and if they're finished after feed well so be it..... cut and dry.....and smoke it.....on to the next...lol

Top Bottom