How Apple tracks your location without consent, and why it matters

• Thread starter Jsän
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jsän

By now we all know not to post pictures from our smart phones. But this is some New and very scary shite that has been going on for AWHILE.

Excerpt:
""Researchers Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden revealed their findings on Wednesday ahead of their presentation at the Where 2.0 conference taking place in San Francisco. The two discovered that the iPhone or 3G iPad—anything with 3G data access, so no iPod touch—are logging location data to a file called consolidated.db with latitude and longitude coodinates and a timestamp. The data collection appears to be associated with the launch of iOS 4 last June, meaning that many users (us at Ars included) have nearly a year's worth of stalking data collected.

In order to drive the point home, the two developed an open source application called iPhone Tracker that lets anyone with access to your computer see where you've been. For example, my log appears to start on June 23, 2010 (one day before the launch of the iPhone 4) and shows nearly every trip I've ever taken since then and when.""

Story: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/04/how-apple-tracks-your-location-without-your-consent-and-why-it-matters.ars
:confused0054:

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

Great post thanks 4 the info.. I'm glad I never leave my house but when I do leave & I'm headed 2 a secret location I'm gunna turn my phone off.. Thanks 4 the heads up

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I used to think Gates was the devil - lol

J

Jsän

the FEDS knew all along

in more need of tinfoil hats...

""Research by security analyst Samy Kamkar, a onetime hacker with a colorful past, indicates an HTC Android phone determined its location every few seconds and transmitted the data to Google at least a few times an hour, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. It said that the Android phone also transmitted the name, location and signal strength of nearby Wi-Fi networks, as well as a unique identifier for the phone."

Cort

Cort

And this is a shock?

News flash, anything that has GPS can log your whereabouts. Garmin, phone, car with built in navigation... GPS is a 2 way street. It has to know where you are in order to tell you when to turn.

Even the basic phones with no gps can be tracked via triangulation.

Cops have been using cell phones for ages to track people, Apple just slipped up and got caught by the public.

Top Bottom