How are MMc's drying product these days?

• Thread starter pollenchucker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How long do you take to cure?>

• as fast as the shit will dry!

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • about a week.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 2 weeks

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 3-4 weeks

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 6-8 weeks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
pollenchucker

pollenchucker

Hiya Kids

I stop in at several MMCs in the Boulder area. Nice, organic, beautiful buds.

My biggest complaint is the cure. Are there any MMCs that actually cure for a month or two and step humidity back properly?

What is the "fast cure" process these days? Hang, dry as fast as possible, trim when almost dry?

Anyone with some great methods for curing that are fast, which provide a stellar taste and smoothness we expect from a proper cure?

My method has always been hang, and suppliment humidity for a couple weeks then using hygrometers and gallon jars, burping for a few days, then waiting..

pollenchucker

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

RiverRock is the only place ive seen that actually markets that they fully cure their herb before it hits the shelves. if not, or anything else is up its always bottom shelf. nothing i hate more than buying medicinal herb and having to finish it myself. LOL

homebrew420

homebrew420

The cure is only "needed" if the weed is subpar in my book. It will get better with a cure, NO DOUBT, however it is unnessisary for high quality flowers. Not to mention the fact there seems no time unless we want an empty shelf. Customers mostly don't care. Dry on racks til the stems snap. Trim and seal with just a small stem in bag. 2 days later, sometimes, high quality flowers on the shelf
If you have to finish purchased herb that shop sucks. Period.

Classic, "Is "White Chicks" an appropriate movie for black history month???" hahahahahaha what a great question

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
With fans blowing directly on them, rushed to market three days from harvest... In most cases anyway

S

Simple

Unfortunately most MMCs do the opposite. They use humidity packs in the jars. Seen all different kinds or horrible shit like this, just to keep their pockets lined. And most have now figured that they can add more weight. not just keep it the same... shady. MMCs even line their safe with humi packs and water jars so you dont see it... very nasty, who wants to smoke water with no oils in your buds. pretty much a good percentage of the medicinal properties are lost without a cure... and the cloro ohh goodness i hate tastein that shit. I guess their "medical patients" are ok with it ahaha. Unfortunately most customers are just uneducated about what needs to be in their herb and what doesnt need to be and why.

River Rock is ok, they have good proprietary systems that I think RD helped them hone if my memory serves me correctly. Beasters at best.

I, like others, do not discuss my cure method to anyone but Clients, employees under non disclosure and non compete clauses, close friends and me myself and I. Just the way it is man. Most had to learn the hard way with MMCs droolin at the chance to get most pro technician methods. Thank goodness most pros backed outta that BS. Some didnt... hey to each his own ya know.

Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M get the money! dolla dolla bill yall!

Cureing is an art my friend...Some people love it, some people could give a fuck. Good luck on your trial and error process as most have gone through that for 10 years plus. Youre on a good path though chucker, keep educating and talking. Everything is connected...

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
this is the junk im talkin about...

Do everyone a favor man, and go sell jeans
Q: How are MMc's drying product these days?
A: With fans blowing directly on them, rushed to market three days from harvest... In most cases anyway

The question was not how I do things... But Uh ok... I guess I'll just go remove the plants that've been hanging in my closet the last 10 days to prepare myself for my lucrative jeans selling operation, asshole.

S

Simple

Q: How are MMc's drying product these days?
A: With fans blowing directly on them, rushed to market three days from harvest... In most cases anyway

The question was not how I do things... But Uh ok... I guess I'll just go remove the plants that've been hanging in my closet the last 10 days to prepare myself for my lucrative jeans selling operation, asshole.

Haha good stuff man. Thank you for your feedback. You speak True here. Great ideas. Sorry, if I hurt your feelings. However People have the right know the difference of what people believe to be true ganja herb from the highest and what isnt. Therefore, they have a right to know how their herb is cured and what effects and affects that may have on their body mind and soul. AND their children to come SIR. My opinion of course. Until the education level raises...

I look at the people of wall mart to much. funny stuff. Doesn't mean Wal-Mart doesnt make the big bucks, so props to you...?
...different judgement to every product. Gotta be prepared. Good luck to you. Seriously :cool:

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Haha good stuff man. Thank you for your feedback. You speak True here. Great ideas. Sorry, if I hurt your feelings. However People have the right know the difference of what people believe to be true ganja herb from the highest and what isnt. Therefore, they have a right to know how their herb is cured and what effects and affects that may have on their body mind and soul. AND their children to come SIR. My opinion of course. Until the education level raises...

I look at the people of wall mart to much. funny stuff. Doesn't mean Wal-Mart doesnt make the big bucks, so props to you...?
...different judgement to every product. Gotta be prepared. Good luck to you. Seriously :cool:

You must be high as I am, because I don't know what the hell you're saying... :)
I have a feeling you and see eye to eye, but neither of us are communicating that very well.
Though, I was hasty to call you an asshole...apparently I did take your remark a little personal... Hahaha

You said "Unfortunately most customers are just uneducated about what needs to be in their herb and what doesn't need to be and why" ... And I couldn't agree more, since most customers don't know, most producers don't bother. I think a lack of curing is a main factor in why most of the places selling "top strains" don't pack the punch they should.
I also can relate to homebrew420 statement regarding empty shelves, having previously worked front end dispensary and warehouse production.... Private growers can talk all the shit they want but they're not facing the same parameters, constraints, or demands the businesses face, but I have little sympathy for them after the whole 1284 dispensary lobby jarked caregivers and monopolized legal profit from sales, disallowing caregivers to sell overages to shops...

Worth mentioning, having sampled several offerings out of homebrew420's garden, he is one of the few doing it really fucking well for his scale.. Respect!

Take care Simple..

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

I, like others, do not discuss my cure method to anyone but Clients, employees under non disclosure and non compete clauses, close friends and me myself and I. Just the way it is man.

Therefore, they have a right to know how their herb is cured and what effects and affects that may have on their body mind and soul.

i dont understand how both of these statements could coincide.... (sorry to para phrase)

unless you mean i have to become a "client" to then learn how you do it.... shouldnt i know before i make that decision?

pollenchucker

pollenchucker

Here's the method I picked up a few years ago. This is not my writing, found on the interwebs in 2010. It would need to be adapted bigtime for commercial applications, but the basics as far as humidity levels and times should be the same. I'm putting this out there in hopes that even one shop might consider slowing down and giving this a spin!

I'd be happy to hear, even privately, anyone else's methods. It doesn't have to be MMC scale. I only flower 3 at a time, it's all I need and the power is cheap :-) I visit MMCs to try new strains, grab edibles, and have fun. lol.

---------------------

You've had a good grow, and it's time for harvest. You've flushed like you're supposed too (depending on your system anywhere from 4-12 days maybe longer). Chop those ladies down. Trim the way you prefer. I like to leave a little of the sweet leaf on as I don't want to handle the buds too much or too long. I hang/line dry until the stem is dry but still flexs/bends a bit. Usually just a couple of days.

Drop those lovely buds into a jar. My preference is 1/2 gallon Ball mason canning jars, easily found at Ace Hardware (can be ordered online with free shipping to your local Ace - they run out a lot but be patient and try again in a week or two). Fill each jar up evenly but don't over-stuff. If you hold the jar horizontal, there should be a gap roughly an inch or so - enough room to slide the hygrometer in.

What's a hygrometer? It's measure humidity. There are analog & digital ones. I prefer digital. The two I like are: the Chaney Indoor Thermometer w/Humidity and the Caliber 3 Hygrometer. Both fairly inexpensive (should be less than $20 each), both are pretty accurate.
Here's the Chaney one (sometimes it has a different brand name but it will look just like this)

So now you just slide the hygrometer in (make sure it's facing out so you can view it, dumbass LOL). Tighten that lid down and put it where you normally cure your stuff.

NOTE: Not every jar needs a hygrometer in it. I use just one per harvest per strain.

After about a couple of hours (takes a bit to get an accurate reading, give it at least 2-4 hrs). Take a look at the Relative Humidity reading.

If more than +70% - buds need to dry longer out of the jar. For me, about every 5% over 70, equals about 10-12 hours outside of jar - but that's different depending on time of year, outside weather, etc... Typically about 12-36 hours more drying time is needed.

65-70% - getting really close to that sweet spot for curing. Keep it in the jars but burp them for a couple of hours, roughly 2-4 hours. Burp 'em, then close the lid, wait 4-6 hours, check RH%, burp again if needed, repeat as needed until you reach the next level. The closer you get to the next level the longer it takes to get an accurate reading, maybe even 12-24 hours. Basically, after every burp I add about 4-6 hours to the wait time between burps until I check again. Getting it down to the next level might take a week or more, and that's ok. The slower the better. Luckily here in Colorado we have low humidity. If in a higher humidity area, say along the coasts, I would want to speed it up just a bit to get to the next level as mold may be a factor

60-65% - this is the Curing stage range. Once we hit this range, keep things sealed unless we want to prepare it for long-term storage, then we'll need to SLOWLY lower down to the next stage. But if you just want to cure it, leave here in this range for a week and longer to cure. Buds should be slightly sticky. Stems should snap. The RH may fluctuate a bit as moisture releases from the bud but it will dissipate/be reabsorbed. If this is for retail, I wait about 10-14 days into cure then bring samples to my dispensary buyers. Most dispensaries tend to like it closer to the 65% as it'll cure while it's on the shelf, plus it'll be stickier, look more appealing & that's what most people are looking for. Closer to 60% is better for smoking/vaping. If it's for myself or my patients, I let it cure for at least 2 weeks to a month. I do take a bit out to try about once a week. Some of my patients like it a little moister than others as it takes a little longer to smoke. Others don't really care too much one way or the other but no one likes it if too moist or too dry/brittle. Some of my patients use those Boveda 65% packets to help keep things where they like it. I tell them to still burp about once a week or so for about an hour when using those packets. I recommend dispensaries use those packets at night in their jars to keep things looking nice & sticky-icky for the next day.

For long term storage - once in this range (60-65), check weekly. If on the higher end, closer to 65, I still burp about every week just for an hour or so. As it slowly drops to 60%, I wait longer & longer between these short burps - we're talking days/weeks here folks not hours between these burps. Once it falls below 60, you have reached the next level. Takes me about 4-6 sometimes 8 weeks.

55-60% - Long term storage stage. I still leave the hygrometer in for about a couple of days/week, just to make sure it's leveled off. Once it has leveled off, then I take the hygrometer out & vacuum seal the jar. I don't usually storage too much for long term usually just 1 jar per harvest, unless it's just some incredible stuff and I want to be able to share it with long distance friends & family when they visit throughout the year.

If for some reason it reads under 55% - either you left it hanging to dry for too long with a fan blowing on it directly or too close to a heat source/vent or you might need to have a humidifier on a timer in the area you dry in (make sure it's not blowing the moisture directly on plants) OR maybe you just need to wait a little longer for your next reading. Wait 12-24 hours, and check again if still under 55 well you just learn a valuable lesson on how not to dry so quickly next time. It'll be shitty to smoke, guess you could grind it or tumble the heck out of it or maybe make tincture/butter/oil but smoke/vape is going to suck. But hey it takes experience, just learn from it....dumbass! LOL!

I think that's about it. This was by no means my very own method that I discovered. It took some trial & error between myself & others. About a month ago, a buddy of mine saw a thread on another forum and they were using the same method almost to a "T". So I'm guessing it's a pretty good method. Like I said, it's pretty stoner-friendly. Kinda hard to screw up as long as you didn't over-dry to bring with. Have patience young jedi.....

Enjoy that lovely properly cured dank!

City farmer

City farmer

Last dispensary herb i looked at was way over dry and probably speed dried with fans then tossed in there jars to sell...... No cure harsh and dry. This is how I do it for large or small scale. Really does not need to be that complicated. Pass it around tell your buddies i don't give a rats ass.....no bullshit disclosure statement needed

step 1- hang trimmed herb on coat hangers close together in a dark slightly cool closet or space 2-3 days

step 2- when bud is slightly dry on the outside but still soft and bendy stem cut nugs down into recycled paper grocery bags with the bag about 1/4 to half full and leave bag open in same cool place. After a day or 2 mix up bud, roll the top closed on the paper bag and let it dry until smaller stems snap, bigger stems still bendy mixing up bud and burping PAPER grocery bags.

step 3- (small scale) put it in large mason jars, burp the lids and mix bud around daily for 3-4 days.
(Large scale) put it in food grade 5 gallon plastic buckets with rubber gasket sealed lids and lined with 5 gallon mylar food storage bags or turkey roasting bags. Burp or mix daily for 3-4 days

step 4- LET IT CURE FOR A WEEK OR TWO AT LEAST....... BURPING AND SMOKING HERB DAILY:D

total time from trim to "cured" 3-5 weeks longer being the best! (depends on room, weather etc.)

or just toss that shit above your grow lights with a fan and heater blasting on them for 1 day then toss that shit in a plastic bag and get rid of it asap before it crumbles into shake and dust..... dont forget to hose it down with a bunch of toxic bug killer spray right before harvest so you can really get HIGHHHH AS A KITE smoking powder mildew spider mite carcasses and chemicals......thats how most do it by the looks of dispensary nugs these days hahaha

summitoker

summitoker

we wet trim everything, dry in nets for 7-10 days, than paper bags for 2-3 days, into a jar for 7-10 days than on to the shelf. Always trying to cure for longer but its supply vs demand.

S

Simple

i dont understand how both of these statements could coincide.... (sorry to para phrase)

unless you mean i have to become a "client" to then learn how you do it.... shouldnt i know before i make that decision?

no worries. Check it.

A "client" is someone who I consult for on a business processes basis. And I usually only work from referral. So when someone becomes my "client," they always knows what I do and that its different than what others are doing. Word of mouth. Therefore they have access to what I do. And pay for what I do.

A "client" is not a wholesaler or a broker. Wholesalers and brokers barely care about how the product was "cured." However their are people out there (as i mentioned before about the fine art thing) that care about taste and know education is growing so they want their product to have all priorities straight.

As im sure you know bro, brokers and wholesale buyers, usual top priorities are price points and then bag appeal. taste is usually a third or fourth priority. As most of the shit that even LOOKS remotely good, flys off the dispensary shelves. This is evident in all the peeps here sayin its good to cure but based on demand most just get shit that looks good fast out the door as fast as they can. In my mind this is one of the direct results of vertical integration but thats a completely different subject and thread so I wont go there.

Point being...cureing creates another price point. But for wholesalers and brokers who are either to arrogant or to greedy or whatever dont really care its business, they dont really want to talk about cureing because it isnt something the average "customer" not MMC "patient" really knows or cares about. So there are multiple markets thats why pollenchucker is getting different answers.

So sorry for the confusion. I see now that I said "they" deserve to know when I meant "customer" not wholesaler broker or client. Hope that clears things up man. Used a preposition when I should have used a noun! hahaha.

S

Simple

Really does not need to be that complicated. Pass it around tell your buddies i don't give a rats ass.....no bullshit disclosure statement needed

or just toss that shit above your grow lights with a fan and heater blasting on them for 1 day then toss that shit in a plastic bag and get rid of it asap before it crumbles into shake and dust..... dont forget to hose it down with a bunch of toxic bug killer spray right before harvest so you can really get HIGHHHH AS A KITE smoking powder mildew spider mite carcasses and chemicals......thats how most do it by the looks of dispensary nugs these days hahaha

Hey man, as your peer. I suggest you don't overlook proven business tactics. And FYI cityfarmer, you are hurting yourself by NOT doing these things. why would you not? Fortunately my "friends" are people who have proven themselves from ACTION and DEDICATION. no "who give a rats ass" type of attitude around my parts bud. I dont hire my friends. Or horrible punk attitudes like that. who wants a friend that wants to make money off you? Good luck with that. Not goin to say anything else.

Dopegeist

Dopegeist

This is evident in all the peeps here sayin its good to cure but based on demand most just get shit that looks good fast out the door as fast as they can. In my mind this is one of the direct results of vertical integration but thats a completely different subject and thread so I wont go there.
Think it has more to do with lack of a competitive market versus vertical integration. If there were a separate entity that just gets paid when it goes to the wholesaler (MMC), than good chance that many of them would get that shit dry as humanly possible, within reason....It is competition that gives the educated consumer a voice....
Considering we have neither in the regulatory models most the time, explains a lot.

City farmer

City farmer

LOL its no secret bro now everyone knows how to cure!...... me sharing my tactics among like minds gets me much farther than trying to employ "proven business tactics" pphhhh i just farted in here.......enjoy peace out

Top Bottom