How Aspirin Can Help Your Garden.

• Thread starter ShroomKing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
What a great lot of reading I do use aspirin on my tomatoes after transplant 12 aspirin in 10 lts water drench the ground and follow up in 3 weeks time after I see first flower set I'm going to have a go on this current grow its just in by a week .

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey all. So I decided to use some aspirin in conjunction with a couple other things to prevent pm from spreading from my flower room (ugh, 2 weeks left) to my veg room.

I watered with it last night, and am considering using it as a foliar as well/instead. Those of you who use aspirin in your systems, do you find it more effective as a foliar or drench?

Edit: basically, im curious if it'll be as effective as regalia. That shits expensive.
I've used it both ways, as a foliar and as a root drench. It seems to be helpful used either way. This is for OD soil cultivation.
From what I've gathered from a few sources it's 1.5 325mg tablets (uncoated) per 2 gal for foliar. 1 tablet per gallon for drench.

Anyone know the difference between SAR and ISR responses?
I do not know the difference, haven't heard of ISR response, only SAR.

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Alright, looked it up. Two different things entirely:

"Induced systemic resistance (ISR) and Systemic acquired resistance (SAR) are two different phenomena but both represent active plant defense responses to phytopathogen attack. ISR is similar to hypersensitive response while as SAR is alike inherent immunity of plant system. .."

(http://www.biotecharticles.com/Agri...ic-and-Systemic-Acquired-Resistance-3227.html)

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

"Take two aspirin and call me in the morning."

We've all heard that advice from doctors. And moms have been dispensing this all-purpose cure-all to their families as a standard way of providing relief from headaches and sniffles, muscle aches and joint pain.

Then it should be no surprise to learn how an important aspirin ingredient--salicylic acid--is being used as an Earth-friendly first aid for warding off plant diseases.

Meet Martha McBurney, the master gardener in charge of the demonstration vegetable garden at the University of Rhode Island. In the summer of 2005 she tested aspirin water on tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, basil and other plants after reading about it in a gardening publication called the Avant Gardener (PO Box 489, New York, NY 10028). The results were well, astonishing...

"What caught my eye in the original Avant Gardener article was it said that aspirin is an activator of Systemic Acquired Resistance (SAR). And that plants, when under stress, naturally produce salicylic acid, but not fast enough and in sufficient quantities to really help them out in time. So the bugs get them, and diseases get them, and they show even more stress.

"But if you give them aspirin, it helps boost their immune system, kind of like feeding people echinacea so they don't get a cold.

How much, and how often

The dosage that Martha used was 1.5 [uncoated] aspirins to 2 gallons of water. She also added 2 tablespoons of yucca extract to help the aspirin water stick to the leaves better. (The yucca extract can be substituted with a mild liquid soap.) Martha explained that the yucca (or soap) prevents the aspirin water from beading up and rolling off leaves of broccoli and kale leaves. Finally, she sprayed the plants every 3 weeks.

The summer when Martha first started testing aspirin water, was not the best, weather-wise. It was cool, rainy and damp. "But what happened was, by the end of the season, the plants in the raised beds with the aspirin water looked like they were on steroids!​

"The plants were huge, and green and with no insects. We even saw some disease problems that reversed themselves. We think we got a virus on the cucumbers, and they aspirin water seemed to reverse it. The cucumbers ended up being very healthy."

Aspirin improves seed germination

Martha also sprayed the aspirin water on the seeds they directly sowed in the ground. The result, they discovered was 100 percent seed germination, compared to spotty germination in the other trial beds.

Scientists at the University of Arizona and with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), curious about findings such as what Martha experienced, are studying how salicylic acid prods plants into releasing their natural defenses against harmful fungi, bacteria and viruses. According to an article by Dean Fosdick of the Associated Press, "They envision it as a commercially viable alternative to synthetic pesticides in a natural way to extend the life of susceptible yet popular crops."

Is it organic? Well, not really. Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is 'derived' from the white willow tree, Salix alba. Studies are now being conducted on plants using pure willow extracts to compare the effects to aspirin.

yellowtulips.gif

Cut flowers that last forever?

Well, not quite. But current research may explain a modern-old wives' tale of adding an aspirin to a vase of cut flower to keep the blooms fresh longer. Here's the explanation: The cutting of flowers is perceived by the plant as a wound, and so it stimulates the production of a substance that not only helps the plant fight off bugs, but also hastens aging or wilting, such as in the case of a cut flower.​

Aspirin halts the formation of the substance, which in turn, keeps the flowers looking young and not wilting prematurely. (For more helpful tips about keeping cut flowers looking fresh, naturally, clickhere).

Scientists laughed, at first

Plants weren't the only things affected by the aspirin water. At first, scientists at the University of Rhode Island gave Martha a bad time about her experiments. Teased her, mostly. But by the end of the summer, they were so impressed that they are now conducting their own formal investigations.

tropical-houseplant.gif

"I've recommended it to just about everybody. The people who've tried it, that is, people who grow from oats to orchids, have found that plants do remarkably better when given small amounts of aspirin water. I've tried it on my houseplants, and it does really well. Plants are more vigorous and I'm having fewer problems with aphids and the typical things that can build up on houseplants over the winter."

"Uh, Martha," I broke in. "My husband is losing his hair. Maybe I should try aspirin water."

Martha didn't miss a beat. "Well, hey, you could give it a go!"

So the next time your plant is looking a little feverish or flushed, consider reaching for some aspirin for treating what ails it.

Meanwhile, keep your hands in the dirt, and your dreams on a star.

signature-marion.gif

Personally I use (1) 325mg Bayer Tablets ,crushed , per gallon of water, a few times in veg and once in the beginning of flower. I water it into my soil. You can water it in with your regular nutes , and it causes no pH shift.

I have seen ,first hand, the positive side of aspirin.

Do YOU use aspirin in your garden?
If so , how much, when , and how ?

Can't aspirin help with ph also?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
well I like a good bump every now and again. lol I remember this thread. aspirin is used by lots folks. Willow water is also great for sprouting seedlings as well.

Watch out for ole @Sabertooth he is part of the anti bump team. Keeping bumps to a minimum 1 bump at a time. :p

Leew421

Leew421

salicylic acid is one of the first elements in the chemical reactions of cannabis. There are chemical reason that is showing benefits. Apt usa goes over the chain

Skram0

Skram0

Salicylic Acid seems to do wonders for plants. I've just been researching pre-soaking seeds and Seed Priming, using SA with mostly beneficial results, but with a few conflicting too. Wheat, rice and okra tests are below.

SA experimentation dates back 10 years or so. Looks like the tests were mainly done for saline polluted soil, and they found that pre-soaking seeds with SA had great results against salted soil and other issues. Here's a few sites and excerpts I've found from searching.

Pre-soaking in 24-epibrassinolide or salicylic acid improves seed germination, seedling growth, and anti-oxidant capacity in Phaseolus vulgaris L. grown under NaCl stress
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14620316.2014.11513088?journalCode=thsb20&

Despite the preference for EBL, soaking seeds in either compound increased the seed germination percentage, seedling growth, the cell membrane stability index, the relative water content, osmoprotectant concentrations, and the activity of the anti-oxidant system, while it reduced lipid peroxidation and electrolyte leakage compared to control seeds soaked in distilled water.

https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=rjss.2014.52.62
Treating wheat seeds with 100 ppm salicylic acid improved germination criteria and seedlings characters as well as chemical and physiological traits under saline conditions as compared to untreated seed and the other treatments. While, had no effective impact on plant height, number of grains/spike and spike length under normal and salinity stress conditions compared with the other treatments. Using salicylic acid at 100 ppm had significant effect on yield through (field emergence%, number of spike/m2) only. While, seed treated with 300 or 500 ppm salicylic acid was most weakness.

Salicylic acid is seen as a hormone or growth regulator and its role in the defense mechanisms against biotic and a biotic stress has been well documented (Szalai et al., 2000). Using salicylic acid significantly increased resistance to drought and salinity of plants (Tari et al., 2002). The soaking of wheat seed in 0.05 mM SA also reduced the harmful effect of salinity on seedlings growth which accelerated the growth processes (Shakirova et al., 2003). Exogenous application of salicylic acid can encourage salt tolerance and water stress tolerance in wheat (Arfan et al., 2007). The aim of present study was to reveal whether wheat plants pre-treated with different concentrations of SA could tolerant salt stress.

In this study, wheat seed soaking in 100 ppm salicylic acid were more effective than other treatments. These results are in consistent with those of Shakirova et al. (2003), who showed a promotion in seed germination with SA application. It is assumed that SA increases level of cell division in the apical meristem of seedlings root, which causes an increase in plant growth resulting in protective and growth promotion. As well as treated with SA maintain the level of plant hormones, especially IAA and cytokinin which reduced stress-induced inhibition of wheat growth

Soaking seed in salicylic acid solution 100 ppm had no effective impact on plant height, number of grains/spike and spike length under normal and salinity stress as compared with the other treatments as shown in Table 3.It may be due to, that soaking has temporal effect and cannot continue for long time. So, soaking affected the yield through field emergence percentage which affected number of spike/m2.

Seed Priming: https://germains.com/us/what-is-seed-priming/

https://www.researchgate.net/public...bility_of_Okra_Abelmoschus_esculentus_L_Seeds
Seeds were soaked for 4 hours at 25 Cº in priming media (10, 25, 50, 75 & 100 mg\L of salicylic acid, hydropriming, distilled water and unprimed seeds as control). Maximum seed germination percentage, germination speed index (GSI) and seedling vigour index (SVI), were observed when the seeds primed by 100 mg\L salicylic acid for 4h at 25 Cº. Relative growth rate and all seeds germination characteristics in this study also increased with increasing salicylic acid concentration from 10 to 100 mg\L compared with control treatment.

Seed priming had a significant positive effect on germination. The results in Fig (1) showed both hydro-priming and different concentration of salicylic acid caused significant increase in seeds germination percentage compared with control treatment. The highest germination percentage was observed in 100 mg\L was 98% and lowest germination percentage was observed in control 40.67%

The highest germination speed index (G.S.I) was obtained from seeds treated with 100 mg\L of salicylic acid. Results in Fig (2) showed significantly increased (G.S.I) from 16.95 in control to 47.6 in 100 mg\L of salicylic acid treatment.

The maximum seedling vigour index was obtained from seeds soaked in 100 mg\L of salicylic acid treatment at 25 Cº. The results Fig (3) showed the high value of (S.V.I) reached to 28.41 compared with control 2.19.

Seed priming treatments with different concentration (10, 25, 50, 75 & 100 mg\L of salicylic acid increased significantly of relative growth rate at 25 Cº. Fig (4), (5) present that shoot and root length had been significantly increased with increasing treatment of salicylic acid concentrations from 10 to 100 mg\L compared to control. Fig (5) showed the effect of salicylic acid seed priming on okra root length at 25 Cº root length increased significantly with increasing salicylic acid concentrations from 10 to 100mg\L at 25 Cº, and reached 11cm in 100 mg\L compared to 3cm in the control treatment.

Seed priming caused significantly increased in seedling growth, Fig (6). Increase seed priming to 100 mg\L of salicylic acid concentrations produced highest seedling length which reached to 29cm compared to 5.33cm in the control treatment.

Seed priming increases enzyme of antioxidants such as glutathione and ascorbate in seed, these enzymes decrease the activities of lipid peroxidation in stage of germination (sharafizad et al., 2013). Seed priming is an efficient method for increasing seed vigour and synchronization of germination, as well as the growth of seedlings of many crops under stressful conditions (Carvalho et al., 2011). The results of the present study revealed that hormonal seed priming with salicylic acid enhanced animation of okra seeds.

Pre-treatment with salicylic acid at different concentration (10, 25, 50, 75 & 100) mg\L increased germination percentage and Germination speed index compared with control.

Salicylic acid priming also increased seedling vigour Index (Fig 3). Increased shoot length, root length, seedling length, fresh and dry weight of Okra seeds Fig (4, 5, 6, 7 & 8). Similarly, these results were in agreement with the results which mention by Rehman et al., (2011) on cucumber seeds. The possible reason of this increment might be due to increased cell division within the apical meristem of seedling shoots and roots, which caused an increase in plant growth.

Salicylic acid treatments maintain the IAA and cytokinin levels in the plant tissues, which enhanced the cell division (Sakhabutdinova et al., 2003). Hence, seed priming with different concentrations can be successfully used to improve the germination and seedling growth in okra seeds.

In conclusion, salicylic acid may be more effective for enhanced germination and seeds viability of okra.

Treatment of rice seeds with salicylic acid: seed physiological quality and yield
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2317-15372014000300011

Seed treatment with growth regulators, especially salicylic acid, is a promising alternative to the seed industry because it is an important inducer of resistance to diseases and pests, as well as acting significantly on quality and seed yield. The objective of this study was to evaluate the performance of rice seed treated with different concentrations of salicylic acid, as well as assess the crop yield and seed quality.

Figure 2 shows the trend line of shoot length (SL) of rice seedlings from treatment with different concentrations of salicylic acid. There is a reduction in the SL of seedling, and the concentration of 130 mg.L-1 is the most significant one. Data disagree with those found by Maia et al. (2000), who have found in soybean that salicylic acid used alone has increased the lengths of shoots and roots and fresh weight at concentrations of 50 and 100 mg.kg-1. The results of this study agree with those found by Kerbauy (2008), where salicylic acid tended to inhibit plant growth.

Figure 3 shows the positive effect of salicylic acid concentrations via seed treatment up to a concentration of 129 mg.L-1 on yield, adjusted to a quadratic equation. The most effective concentration (129 mg.L-1) produced approximately 18 g.plant-1, with about 60% higher yield than concentration zero.

Conclusion
Rice seed treatment with salicylic acid in concentration of 130 mg.L-1at seed dose of 2 mL.kg-1 did not affect germination, and it did affect seed vigor, however it provides substantial increases in seed yield. Seed treatment with salicylic acid has no influence on seed quality.

Tall fescue (Fescue arundinacea) is a cold season type turfgrass and is widely used in urban greening. This study was to evaluate effects of socking seeds with different concentrations of salicylic acid (SA) on seed germination of Bonsai 2000, Houndog 5 and Ruby tall fescue under drought stress, which was simulated by PEG 2000. The results obtained from the study indicated that SA at the lower concentration (0.12-1.00 mmol/L) increased germination potential, germination rate of tall fescue seeds; promoted growth of seedlings and roots; and improved the drought resistance of tall fescue during seed germination period. However, the higher concentrations (2.00-3.00 mmol/L) inhibited seed germination and growth of the seedlings. The treatment with 3.00 mmol/L SA displayed a significant inhibiting effect (P<0.05) on tall fescue seed germination. The treatment with 0.5 mmol/L SA showed the best performance in this study.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1658077X15300576
However, seed priming with SA improved and enhanced germination traits under various stress levels, thus, reducing some of the inhibitory effects of salt stress. Based on the results, it can be concluded that low concentrations of SA have more positive effects on V. faba germination than medium and high concentrations. The 0.25 mM SA concentration significantly improved germination percentage and germination. This means that seed priming of V. faba with this low concentration of SA will speed up the germination time and enhance the establishment of seedlings. Therefore, the planted seeds will be less susceptible to soil-borne pests and diseases, and produce more biomass and photosynthetic capacity, especially in areas with saline irrigation water resources at planting stage.

http://www.ijabpt.com/pdf/81031-Suita Jadhav[1].pdf
SA has been reported to enhance seed vigor in wheat (Shakirova et al., 2003). Among the studied cultivars, W-55, TAG and SB-11 indicated inhibitory effect of SA at 10 ppm concentration on germination while in cv. W-44, less germination percent was recorded at 5 ppm and 25 ppm . Similarly Asthana and Srivastava, (1978), Anandhi and Ramanujam, (1997), Negi and Prasad, (2001), Chandra et al., (2007) have also reported an inhibitory effects of SA on germination in maize, black gram, soybean and cowpea respectively.

As shown in Table 1, in the two genotypes of okra, as the salinity level increased, proline accumulation also increased in leaf and in the fruit when compared with control group. This has also been reported by Amin et al. (2009) that increased in the amount of proline, protein and sugars in the plants would lead to the resistance against loosing water, protect turgor, reduce the membrane damage and accelerate the growth of plants in stress conditions. Under stress conditions, the higher proline concentration increases the activities of proline biosynthesis enzymes such as; ornithine aminotransferase and pyrroline-5-carboxylate reductase, as well as due to inhibition of proline degradation enzymes like proline oxidase and proline dehydrogenase (Kishor et al., 2005).

R

Rayfloyd

This was a good thread till we get into E.T. everything has to show an awareness to its environment to be a living thing it must also reproduce and eat something. To an intelligent person a response means feelings when it is the cellular structure responding to a stimulus but I have never heard a plant cry out while my cows are eating them they just keep growing.
If you told a college Professor that there was a 10 million dollar grant because a plant may have feelings you would have 25 of them proving it in a month. The difference between feelings and a plant adjusting to its environment is they don't feel pain that is for higher life forms and what the hell dose that have to do with aspirin.

stiffneck

stiffneck

Well.... I am going to try some aspirin. Makes perfect sense.

ubi

ubi

im using asprin at 200mg per gallon foliar. Too much? Root drench sounds fun, anybodies willing to give up there
application rates??
Foliar and Root drench

bibbles

bibbles

im using asprin at 200mg per gallon foliar. Too much? Root drench sounds fun, anybodies willing to give up there
application rates??
Foliar and Root drench
Bud Factor X was found to contain 4,400-5,000ppm, which when mixed as per the label works out to ~10ppm. Technically, BFX has salicylic acid, while aspirin is actually acetylsalicylic acid, which aren't quite the same, but the few comparative studies I've found suggest similar effects.

That said, BFX used to suggest foliar feeding every other day, as oppose to drenching once every three weeks, presumably because the effect of salicylic acid doesn't actually last very long, so less more often is going to get you more than a ton all at once... unless, the salicylic acid in the medium, but not touching the roots, sticks around until contact is made.

Either way, the effect is systemic, so there's no reason to do both.

Additionally, studies show that too much is a bad thing, though how much is too much seems to depend on the plant. 1,000ppm seems to always be too much, and while 100ppm is more effective than 10ppm, there are diminishing returns. Personally, I'm planning on running with 10ppm in a foliar; if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? After all, Advanced *could* have provided a more concentrated solution, or more heavy handed mixing instructions, if that would have worked better. Admittedly, that product also contains chitosan, and there's something to be said about these two working together in harmony, so... perhaps that's the reason?

IndicanDude

IndicanDude

well I like a good bump every now and again. lol I remember this thread. aspirin is used by lots folks. Willow water is also great for sprouting seedlings as well.

Watch out for ole @Sabertooth he is part of the anti bump team. Keeping bumps to a minimum 1 bump at a time. :p

Sounds like a job for a covert bumper. Not that I'm him.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

This is awesome and I'm glad this thread was resurrected. Looks like I'm getting some aspirin!

Top Bottom