How Big Smart Pot And How About Flushing?

• Thread starter Skurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skurt

Skurt

Hello.
I'm planning my next grow. I was thinking a 12.5 gallon smart pot filled with 10 gallon soil for one plant in a 2x2 tent, standing on a DIY kinda rotary table that you use for old fat TV's.
I was thinking of using the bottom part of a cutoff oildrum to catch the runoff water and fitting a scrog net to the soil so I can trim an defoliate with the plant still in tent.
All this because the tent is placed in a poorly designed closet space so I cant really take the smart pot out of the tent..

I tought my plan was bulletproof until it struck me that sometime I was going to flush her.

My best tought was to add a draintap to the oilpan catcher that I could use when flushing her in the tent but since I have a gazillion tons to learn I wanted as many opinions as possible on this :)

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Hello.
I'm planning my next grow. I was thinking a 12.5 gallon smart pot filled with 10 gallon soil for one plant in a 2x2 tent, standing on a DIY kinda rotary table that you use for old fat TV's.
I was thinking of using the bottom part of a cutoff oildrum to catch the runoff water and fitting a scrog net to the soil so I can trim an defoliate with the plant still in tent.
All this because the tent is placed in a poorly designed closet space so I cant really take the smart pot out of the tent..

I tought my plan was bulletproof until it struck me that sometime I was going to flush her.

My best tought was to add a draintap to the oilpan catcher that I could use when flushing her in the tent but since I have a gazillion tons to learn I wanted as many opinions as possible on this :)
Why such a big pot in such a small space?

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Well I don’t grownin soil but “bigger is better” is in relation to how big your plant is. If I was growing a 7’ tree I might use a 8 gal pot. Or 12. And that’s strictly soil not coco. In a 2x2 tent I think a 3 gal pot would be more than enough. Maybe a 5 at most.
Do what you feel is best but IMO rootbpund is a term thrown around way too loosely.

Skurt

Skurt

Well I don’t grownin soil but “bigger is better” is in relation to how big your plant is. If I was growing a 7’ tree I might use a 8 gal pot. Or 12. And that’s strictly soil not coco. In a 2x2 tent I think a 3 gal pot would be more than enough. Maybe a 5 at most.
Do what you feel is best but IMO rootbpund is a term thrown around way too loosely.

I understand where you're coming from but I've been told that my plastic 4 gallons I use today might be insufficant.
Could you please elaborate how you mean by your last sentence. Would a smart pot be unecessary in such small space? If I did what I thought was best I'd probly have ha 30 gallon rdwc in my small tent haha.
I'm fine with being wrong and way of, thank god for forums like this where I could get some pointers :)

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I understand where you're coming from but I've been told that my plastic 4 gallons I use today might be insufficant.
Could you please elaborate how you mean by your last sentence. Would a smart pot be unecessary in such small space? If I did what I thought was best I'd probly have ha 30 gallon rdwc in my small tent haha.
I'm fine with being wrong and way of, thank god for forums like this where I could get some pointers :)
There is no wrong. It’s all about trial and error and figuring out what works for you. I believe a well established root system makes for a stronger plant. That’s not gonna happen in a 12 gal pot with only 2 ft of space.
But at the end of the day it’s upntk you and what suits you best.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

The thing is I’m not a soul grower and don’t want to try to give advice on something I haven’t personally done myself. But I’m just saying I would not use that size pot in that small space

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

That was easiest for me to gather and the "the bigger the better" mentality kicked in lol. I'm sure I get 8 gallon smart pot aswell if I asked around..
So if I had an 8 gallon smart pot under the same conditions, what would your answer been then?

I’m running a 15 gallon fabric pot notill in a 18 inch x 20 inch by 48 inch tall cab.
With the soil in place, I have about 22 inches from soil to light.
I run 2-3 plants in my notill.
I use the manifold form of training.
My suggestion would be for sure get the BEST HUMUS and go notill.
Once soil is up and running it’s a lot easier to work your plants in such a smallish area.
If you go true organic or notill no flush is needed.
Peace

Skurt

Skurt

Thanks for your comments and thoughts!

I've decided to look for a 8 gallon smart pot instead and maybe go without any nutes.
Did a quick reading on notill and that surely seems as something I'd definetly would want to try. But thats for a future, I still got much of the basics to get familiar with at first :)

Top Bottom