How Calcium Functions In The Plant, Soil And As Crop Nutrient

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks! Added to my Watch Later list. :)

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Thanks! Added to my Watch Later list. :)

no problem, most if it is common knowledge if yoru a gardener, i would expect you sea to know most of whats in the vid lol..but he does go into some other things i was not aware of...but this vid addresses calcium in SOIL ONLY, not hydro, just a heads up

tobh

tobh

Supporter
So in a soilless or hydro system, what would this mean? For instance, would it stand to reason that higher levels of calcium in a DTW coco grow be beneficial in ensuring consistent access to other nutrients? What impact would this same knowledge have on say a DWC style grow? Considering you're not looking at your phosphorous washing away with your soil, etc.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

i would think that in a soiless "media" based, like coco or peat, which tend to hold on to some of the nutes(when compared to hydroton, pertile, dwc..ect)would fall into the same classas soil, at least for this videos explanation..

and i dont think its higher levels of calcium will help in a dtw coco, i think what he is explaining is if your in lack of calcium the effects....he also explains that calcium and potassium affect eachother greatly, and in their studies, adding a lower amount of potassium/calcium pellets gave a larger harvest than adding large amounts of calcium or large amounts of potassium...this is thought to be in theory because the high levels of calcium will lock out the potassium, and vice versa.

what caught my eye in this vid..is how he talks about how calcium will do all the same effects as is advertised for silica products...but im starting to wonder if its the extra potassium in the silic product, to match the amount of calcium, will allow he plant to take up more calcium, and vice versa...

i think a large part of the "cal/mag" problem is that they sell this product with a high N...because its basically calcium nitrate, magnesium nitrate...if they were to sell a cal/mag product that used less N(a lot less) and higher potassium or higher phosphorous...it sounds like it would make calcium more available, and well as P and K

N

nightmarecreature

The reason for lack of Calcium in coco coir, is the high amounts of K already in the coco. Adding extra Calcium offsets the high K. Coco coir needs very low K, too much silica has caused problems for me because adding a product with extra K, I have to make up with Calcium. Then when adding extra Calcium you have to add a specific amount of Magnesium to offset the calcium.... it's kind of like chasing your tail. In soil or hydro, I don't have these issues.

Nice video! I never knew lack of Ca can cause root rot.

B

budfarmer

I recently read an article on sources of Calcium, the author laid out sources of Calcium along with the positive and negative attributes of each turns out * soft rock phosphate * is the winner. This is not * rock phosphate * but * soft rock phosphate * the author claims the most easily available source of Calcium for us dirt guy's is soft rock phosphate, the plants roots can break down and take in soft rock phosphate the quickest. My problem guy's is I'm not a nute guy so I don't know how it would affect my nutrient mix if I added soft rock phosphate ?? I use PlantProd 7-11-27 + Calcium Nitrate + pro-silicate + a tiny amount of pickle crisp + epsom salt, by the way the PlantProd blows the Jacks 5-12-26 away hands down. Any thoughts on using soft rock phosphate ?? would this require a complete change in my mix or could a person just throw some in ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The same stuff that may be referred to as Cal-Phos? It is one of the components Eliot Coleman recommends for organic soil building.

I couldn't tell you how to add it to your regimen, though.

Top Bottom