How Can I Boost Cbd Levels?

• Thread starter JMcG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JMcG

JMcG

Hey farmers!
I am pretty stoked to finally have access to lab testing for my medical grow in my state. With the way the laws are shaking out here I am not required to test as long as I stay under a certain client count, but I wanted to do it anyway. Obviously, I am interested in THC and CBD levels, but the terpene profile and contaminants test are great benefits of the test. Right now they don't offer pesticides or heavy metals, but that is coming soon depending on what the state mandates.
Anyway, I tested three strains, GG4, Pineapple Chunk, and LSD. The LSD and PC ( barneys) came back with THC levels that were only 2-3% below what was advertised, so I am ok with that... I can get those up easily enough by tightening up my " environment ". Not sure where GG4 come in usually, but it was comparable to the other two in terms of THC.
My question is more about the CBD levels, which came back pretty low compared to what was advertised. Example:
LSD is advertised as potentially having 1.3% cbd . Mine came back with .2%
PC should be around 1.1%. Mine came in at a dismal .1%
So how can I go about raising those cbd levels? I am sure most of it is environmental too, but where to start?
Here are some parameters of my grow currently ( changing back to LOS soon...)
Coco, 1 gallon pots.
Ionic nutes. Fed 3x per cycle with run off. Also cal mag, silica, and Mammoth P.
Mix of 4x 600 w HPS and 4x 315w CMH, staggered. Distance from canopy is 18-24"
Temps are 75-80 lights on, 60-65 lights off
Rh hangs around 55-60% lights on, 60 ish lights off.
Usually no additional co2. Hangs around 400 ppm.
Slow cure, whole plant hang for a week or ten days in moderate temp and rh. Jars and burped. Finish around 50%

I am bringing co2 back into this run so I'll see how that effects things.
I also read somewhere deep in the forum about cbd levels being hampered by using uva and uvb. Maybe those CMH fixtures are messing with the program?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Thc and cbd are dictated by the genetics of the strain or phenotype. Certain cannatonic 4 strains do not test as high as the heul Perkins cut that u run and pass out.

True clone only gg4 should test at 24-27% on average.

JMcG

JMcG

Thc and cbd are dictated by the genetics of the strain or phenotype. Certain cannatonic 4 strains do not test as high as the heul Perkins cut that u run and pass out.

True clone only gg4 should test at 24-27% on average.
Yeah, thats what i read too, a plant can only be grown to its own genetic potential. My GG4 tested at 22% thc and .2% cbd. I have not tested the Honeybells and Sage cbd that i have yet, this run is not ready yet, but I'll be bummed if they have lower levels of cbd than they should.
Maybe I'm harvesting too quickly. i usually go at 10-20 % amber...

JMcG

JMcG

The lab I used called to discuss the results of my tests. I mentioned that I was bummed about the low CBD / CBN . What he told me was that most strains that are high in THC (20% plus) will on average have around .1-.2% CBD.
I challenged him on that citing the breeders info on many of my strains " reporting " 1-2% CBD. But he's the scientist so idk...
What do you guys hit for CBD on you high THC strains?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

You need to find more CBD specific genetics, ex sour tsunami, canna tsunami, cannatonic, the list goes on, these are strains tested over 10% CBD. True medicinal smoke.

JMcG

JMcG

You need to find more CBD specific genetics, ex sour tsunami, canna tsunami, cannatonic, the list goes on, these are strains tested over 10% CBD. True medicinal smoke.
Right! Understood.
I have two cbd strains right now, Honeybells and Sage. I have run the HB before but not had it tested. Supposed to be 7% thc and 7% cbd. My clients love it! The sage is new, its 10/10. Looking forward to testing these.
Really just curious if .1-.2 % CBd is normal for high thc strains?

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Well they were probably correct meaning g they weren't true CBD genetics

T

twerkle

Like was stated before CBD and THC are genetic, so unless you got the cut of the plant that is high CBD its all up to luck. If you pop a seed it can be any number of combinations. If you are on the hunt for high cbd i suggest buying cbd leaning seeds and pop a ton. Find ones that test neg for thc allele and positive for cbd allele. That will be a plant that produces mostly cbd and very little (finding one with both will be a mix). Then only grow those and get those tested, will allow you to narrow 50-100 seeds down to just a few plants. Any lab that test for seedling sex can test for cbd and thc alleles, and it shouldnt cost much more per plant per test as sex test.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

twerkle has it right
it's all in the genetics
every seed is a different genotype just like every kid is different, phenotype is just it's enviroment
pastor, your way the fuck out in left field dude
jmcg..you can do a leaf test on your seedlings at 6 weeks...wont tell you finished numbers but it will give real close on the thc/cbd ratio and just so you know...dont rely on what is on the label because you dont know- until you do
ran a lot of specimens thru the gc over the last decade so what i'm telling you is real
take it or leave it

fwiw

T

twerkle

Epigenetics would be conditioning a plant outside at a certain climate then takign seeds/clones and finding ones that adapted. Plants can't evolve mid grow lol. If it doesn't have the CBD producing gene it will not produce CBD. Period. The differences in altitude would most certainly be attributed to UV intensity which will in turn increase resin production (see: cbd/thc increase) but of only the cannabinoids its genetically predisposed to produce.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Phenotypes are the different genetic expressions from the batch of seeds a mom drops. Environment doesn't play a key role.in different phenotypes. I said a key role, environment plays a small role, but not a huge determining factor in phenotyping.

It's Why we call it "pheno hunting" when popping a hand full of same seed strains in search for that gem of a keeper.

JMcG

JMcG

Thanks for the replies evryone. Good to know that i can leaf test at six weeks to get an idea of the ratios at least. I know, I know... dont trust the labels.
I am just hanging up on something I read in cyber space about cbd strains not reaching their potential under the higher UV levels in CMH lighting...

T

twerkle

Thanks for the replies evryone. Good to know that i can leaf test at six weeks to get an idea of the ratios at least. I know, I know... dont trust the labels.
I am just hanging up on something I read in cyber space about cbd strains not reaching their potential under the higher UV levels in CMH lighting...

You can test for cbd genes when the plant is at 2 leaf sets and it no longer needs the little round leaves thst sprout first. you send those to a lab and they will test for cbd gene. cmh has much lower UV than the sun so im sure it wont effect it.

JMcG

JMcG

This is good to know. If this test can show basic ratios of THC vs CBD that early on it would eliminate the need for start to finish phenohunts wouldn't it? Or am i misunderstanding you? You did say ratios vs actual percentages didnt you...?

T

twerkle

yea exactly. like you would pop like a 100 beans of some plant that comes from a cbd lineage, test them all and it would come back like either: thc/thc, thc/cbd, cbd/cbd. then deoending on what you want you would only keep say "cbd/cbd" and cull the rest. now you go from 100 to 20 ot so maybe, then u sex test em so thatll bring u to lile 10. and now u only gotta grow 10 plants and find one thats funky and has a yeild. a lot less mothers to keep. the tests are 20$ each. u should be able to get sex, thc, cbd genes tests at a lab for less than 60$ a plant.

E

Elite Hemp

Why do you want to boost the CBD levels? Normal CBD is also good.

JMcG

JMcG

Not really looking to boost it ( at this point anyway) just get an idea of seeds that may end up being higher in it than others

Top Bottom