How can I connect multiple LED Grow Lights to a Power Source? Daisy chain power?

• Thread starter HartwellAg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HartwellAg

I am looking to connect 10 480w LED grow lights (SpiderFarm and Kingbrite bar lights) together to one power source, daisy chaining to a power sorce. They will be daisy chained to a dimmer controller, but that is not the power source. The following diagram gives an idea of how they should be connected. The problem is, I am trying to find out where to buy the rights parts. This link on Amazon gives an idea, T-Connector but will they work?

I need help from anybody who has done this before. I can split it to more than one power source if required.

The next question is what timer would you recommend to control these lights?
Daisy chain power

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Welcome to the Farm.

I can split it to more than one power source if required.
You'll need to do that. 480*10=4,800 watts. That would be two 20-amp dedicated circuits, each able to supply 2,400 watts, with half the lights on each circuit. An electrician should do that work.

Have you checked the specifications for those lights to see how many can be in a single daisy chain?

Are those two types of lights compatible for daisy chaining, or would each type require its own controller?

H

HartwellAg

Welcome to the Farm.

You'll need to do that. 480*10=4,800 watts. That would be two 20-amp dedicated circuits, each able to supply 2,400 watts, with half the lights on each circuit. An electrician should do that work.

Have you checked the specifications for those lights to see how many can be in a single daisy chain?

Are those two types of lights compatible for daisy chaining, or would each type require its own controller?
Thank you so much, this is exactly why I posted the question. I do have a separate 100amp subpanel dedicated to this grow area, the outlets are just about 20ft from the grow room. I may have to have an electrician create outlets closer...

I do understand I will have to split power sources, max 2-3 lights per source, I was just hoping someone had a better answer out there!
The lights are set up for daisy chain, and can have up to 50 chained together, I should be good in that regards.
Again, thank you so much for your help! It's a little more complex than a grow tent.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I may have to have an electrician create outlets closer...
That's best for an operation of the size you're launching. You'll be pulling a lot of power.

I do understand I will have to split power sources, max 2-3 lights per source, I was just hoping someone had a better answer out there!
Your 100-amp panel is good, but a sub panel might be worth considering (depending on distance and such). It would make running local circuits easier and provide more flexibility. It might even be less costly. When I wrote about two 20-amp circuits, it was just an example. More circuits would distribute the load better and provide extra capacity per circuit.

Again, thank you so much for your help! It's a little more complex than a grow tent.
Complexity and scale aside, I would be inclined to assume the basic principles of growing remain the same.

Good luck with your grow. Please follow up. I'm interested to see how it develops.

Top Bottom