How can I encourage vertical growth?

• Thread starter colo89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

colo89

Currently growing 6 different plants in my tent. Most are growing beautifully. There’s one plant that’s very squat. There are several leaves growing at the center. How can I encourage vertical growth? Will this cause issues?

Grow Info
Strain: permanent marker
Grow medium: soil
-Has been topped once

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seeds

2. How old are your plants? 6.5 weeks from germ

3. How tall are your plants? 5.5” tall

4. What size containers are they planted in? 5 gallon pot

5. What is your soil mix? Fox Farm Ocean Forest

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Water about every 2-3 days when top inch of soil is dry. Bottled water.

7. What is the pH of your water? 5.3

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Fox farms liquid fertilizer. 1/2 recommended dose. Was using Grow Big (6-4-4) since they were transplanted a few weeks ago. Switching to Big Bloom (0-0.5-0.7) next feeding.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (2) LED Vivosun vs1000, 100 w each

11. How close are your lights to the plants? ~2.5’

12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 8 sf. Total of 6 plants

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? Avg of the last week: 72 deg.F, 58% RH

14. What is the pH of the soil? 6.8

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Noticed one or two small gnat-like bugs since start of grow. Killed on sight.

16. How much experience do you have growing? This is my second grow. Just finished curing buds from first grow a few weeks ago. Resulting product quality was excellent.

How can i encourage vertical growth
How can i encourage vertical growth 2
Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

Did u top it already? Either that or you have a mutation

growsince79

growsince79

Currently growing 6 different plants in my tent. Most are growing beautifully. There’s one plant that’s very squat. There are several leaves growing at the center. How can I encourage vertical growth? Will this cause issues?

Grow Info
Strain: permanent marker
Grow medium: soil
-Has been topped once

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seeds

2. How old are your plants? 6.5 weeks from germ

3. How tall are your plants? 5.5” tall

4. What size containers are they planted in? 5 gallon pot

5. What is your soil mix? Fox Farm Ocean Forest

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Water about every 2-3 days when top inch of soil is dry. Bottled water.

7. What is the pH of your water? 5.3

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Fox farms liquid fertilizer. 1/2 recommended dose. Was using Grow Big (6-4-4) since they were transplanted a few weeks ago. Switching to Big Bloom (0-0.5-0.7) next feeding.

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (2) LED Vivosun vs1000, 100 w each

11. How close are your lights to the plants? ~2.5’

12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 8 sf. Total of 6 plants

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? Avg of the last week: 72 deg.F, 58% RH

14. What is the pH of the soil? 6.8

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? Noticed one or two small gnat-like bugs since start of grow. Killed on sight.

16. How much experience do you have growing? This is my second grow. Just finished curing buds from first grow a few weeks ago. Resulting product quality was excellent.
Piss on it. Use 1 cup urine per gal water.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you can add far red light, it could force some elongation. Of course, it will do the same to your other plants.

I had an unknown indica from Jordan of the Islands, about 7 or 8 years ago, that was squat like that during veg. when I flipped that grow, she shot up to about 5 feet. She was one of those beanstalks with big, round, golf ball-type buds.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If you can add far red light, it could force some elongation. Of course, it will do the same to your other plants.

I had an unknown indica from Jordan of the Islands, about 7 or 8 years ago, that was squat like that during veg. when I flipped that grow, she shot up to about 5 feet. She was one of those beanstalks with big, round, golf ball-type buds.
I don't know how far ....red my red leds are but they too stretch plants if I want them to. I found out by accident but it was evident within a few days. I bought a cheap set of 4 - 4ft ones off amzon for ???$35 around....cheap any ways

C

colo89

Good to know that there’s still potential for stretch in flowering! The other 5 plants in the tent are growing beautifully (they were topped at the same time as well) so I don’t want them getting too much taller at this stage as I’m limited on the tent height, ~5’ minus space for lights and fan. I may just leave this one be for now and prune a bit to avoid such a bushy center.

Last edited:
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

even if all 6 were same strain you may have probably will rather have a runt or 2, not to say 6 different plants. I would just leave it be for a bit aswell the specific strain may surprise you in flower, heard stories of what looked like runt in veg ending up one of larger plants at end of flower

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Premium Cultivars
Hmmmm interesting… the strain was just released not to long ago I wonder if it’s an S1 or if they had the original breeder cuts to be able to replicate the cross. I tried asking them before about how they made their crosses with no response. They should atleast give some credit to the original breeders/collaborators. That’s just my 2 cents….

thehighestcritic

thehighestcritic

Premium Cultivars
Hate to break it to you but there's 0% chance that your plant is the real SJG Permanent Marker. Premium Cultivars is definitely a scam. JBeezy confirmed here: https://thehighestcritic.com/reviews/is-premium-cultivars-a-scam/

I would be curious to know if you have a guess as to what the actual "premium" cultivar you were sent is once it flowers! If they're even all the same, etc.

Top Bottom