how can i kill off my sprintails?

• Thread starter knubs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

knubs

first off yes I know springtails don't harm the plants, but i have thousands of them in all my moms in coco and ants seem to love them. I consistently have hundreds of ants in my veg room at a time and it is very annoying. I just want to kill the springtails so they will go away. Any suggestions on how to kill them?

Myco

Myco

I don't think OGbiowar would affect springtails... in fact, springtails thrive in a healthy microbial environment from what I understand?

I wouldn't think you'd be able to kill springtails unless you used something harsh, like Imid. I'd set up some ant traps or something personally... You don't want to harm your plants trying to get rid of harmless (or even beneficial) springtails... But I do understand not wanting ants in the growroom. Are you sure the ants are actually after the springtails to begin with?

Tnelz

Tnelz

Hydrogen peroxide would probably work. It would kill all ur bennies too though. So I'd give it a shot see what happens then reapply caps bennies to get life in ur rhoisphere back up.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
assuming you're indoors and contained . . . take clones and get them rooted with new soil away from your infested area, then toss your mothers and clean your mother room well before starting fresh.

Coir

Coir

Terro for ants works really well and it's just boron so it's not like using a harmful pesticide. Be careful to keep it out of your medium though if you're already using a nutrient that contains boron as you can cause some issues with boron toxicity if you go overboard with it.

K

knubs

I've tried hypoaspis miles mites and it didn't help. Ants LOVE them and it made my problem worse. I've also tried every ant product I can find. Oh and the peroxide doesn't work.
I know they are going for springrails because I get concentrations of ants under my pots and I can see them in the coco.
oh, and I forgot to mention, my friend that lives in that house is allergic to ants. Also I'm paranoid about ants being a vector.

Thank you everone for the input!

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Allergic to ants or ant bites? never heard of anyone allergic to ants. Who knew?

Frostynugman

Frostynugman

Take them moms and shit off the ground mayne. Build a table put ant traps up the four legs, shit gets caught.

Sounds like they have made a home in your pots.... a nice flooding should get em out

If you use the bennies your gunna get springtails.

Also if you use chlorinated water springtails dont thrive in that environment ive heard

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've gotta ask--why do you want to kill off the springtails? Due to the ants? I personally have never observed ants doing anything with springtails.

I have, however, watched ants farming root aphids.

K

knubs

yes, my friend is allergic to ant bites. And yes, the ants are why I want to kill the springtails, I'm watching a continuous ant feast. I'm just not sure what else to do. These ants are crazy. Traps don't work, sprays don't work, and organic cures don't either. Hell, I even microwaved some of these ants for 5 minutes and they were still fine. I'm not sure what kind of mutant ants these are but its been a constant battle with them for years. I feel like I am out of options to get rid of the ants.

Tnelz

Tnelz

yes, my friend is allergic to ant bites. And yes, the ants are why I want to kill the springtails, I'm watching a continuous ant feast. I'm just not sure what else to do. These ants are crazy. Traps don't work, sprays don't work, and organic cures don't either. Hell, I even microwaved some of these ants for 5 minutes and they were still fine. I'm not sure what kind of mutant ants these are but its been a constant battle with them for years. I feel like I am out of options to get rid of the ants.
Sorry for ur trouble bro. Always sux when something stops growing from being fun. I have a serious aversion to any kind of bug. Rather large man but a pussy vs bugs. Lol. I'd love to c a video of u microwaving the ants. Lol. Imagine a fuckin and that can deal with radiation like that. Scary. Maybe go on Craigslist and see if u can purchase an aardvark. Lol. Sorry just trying to bring a little levity to the situation. Good luck bro!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What the FUCK?? They survived a radioactive apocalypse? Maybe you don't wanna fuck with these ants....

So, have you been able to identify the species? That would probably go a long way towards stopping them. The springtails aren't the problem, the ants are. Have you spread borax around the plants, under them and on the ant trails?

straincreation

straincreation

You should consider using frosty nuggets idea, get some TF put it on the legs, spray the perimeter with some terro, or any other and killer /traps out side the room, or any access points.

The property I grew outdoors on had a shit load of and
Ants which brought aphids on all the rose bushes all the plants on the property, I tried to prevent them by killing them off plant by plants tree by tree. Before I put any cannabis in the ground.

I began to see a high volume when I was watering the ground prior to planting, I had a yuka tree that had been cut down to about a 5ft trunk but 1/2 still being alive.I walked over to it and seen the fucking mother load , gives me the goose bumbs thinking of it, ive never seen this many ants in one spot, like something off of national geo.

Long story short I was sitting on a fucking farm, shit a fucking colony of ants that were basically running shit in this yard, they were all living in the dead half of the trunk, I hacked at that tree for a week and finally got rid of these asshole, it helped me so much with my ant prob inside and out.
I did get lucky and not saying the same might be for you, but if your having really bad problem with ants it wouldnt hurt to look on your property for a source and bring down the fucking apocolyse on those mother fuckers.

since moving indoors ive never had any problems with ants so I dont have personal exp. With ants in my grow room. But Im sure you can figure something out they have no they have 6 legs and cant fly, immobilize these fucks. Get them off the ground, make what ever you are lifting the pots with non accesible to ants. My grandma even uses DE around the perimeter of her dogs food and it helps keep those fuck at bay, they dont like that shit at all.any ways ope something works out for you.
Happy farmin;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom