How close should plants be to a 600w?experiencing some light bleaching

• Thread starter burnalot420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
I am currently using a 600w, with a super hps hortilux, an a 6in air cooled hood, the plants are all like 8 inches or so away.I can put my hand on the glass, and have a temp probe 2 inches above the canopy, reading at max like 81 degrees, canopy level is like 76,77 degrees. I am experiencing light bleaching. I have never had this prob. it was always heat if anything, but heat isn't the issue,for the first 2 weeks of flower i was using a 400w aircooled and the plants were like 4-5 inches away tops. i have always used 400w. How close are you all keeping your plants from 600 watters.
peace Burn

R

Rolln J

12- 18 inches - its not always heat that burns your plants - the uv light can do it as well...

Venom818

Venom818

I like to keep my 600 like 20to 24" away.
Not to jack your thread bro but what about a 1000 watt system how far should it be.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
thanx guys, i appreciate it, i have always used the 400 and have ben able to let them pretty much hug my plants with no problems. but after puting the the 6 in and taking the 4 out, there was a concentration of leaves that were yellowing, 2 leaves actually turned white towards the tip!!! so i dropped my plants down a little(those i could), but now my next ques, i really can't move the light or the plants down any further thana they are now, this is only because the plants are way bigger than i wanted them when they went into flowering.i was still setting up the flower tent, it won't be a problem next run(the height). My next question is my harvest giong to suffer a lot because of it, the bud look fine its jus the leaves.I mean i figure that it is a form of stress and stress slows growth, what can e done? Would i benefit more from moving them out from directly under it, i am in a 5 x 5 tent, and am using about 4 x 4, what would do me better? moving them out from where they re being bleached(by this i mean leaving like a little square open under the light where is most intense, and putting plants around that), or jus leave them..
thanx everyone, and venom ask away man, i'm sure i'll be using 100'sone day.lol
peace burn

Venom818

Venom818

Im not sure how much space u have but u can tie the tops down that would create alot of head space

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
lol, yea i,ve already done that with my kali mist x c.hash plant, and that thing is now taking up like a fourth of a 5 x 5 x 7 tent, i also have 2 great white sharks, 1 purple afgoo, and 1 carnival,i now don't have room to bend any more, not that at this point it would help, they are just too big even if i bent um,a few leaves on the mist got bleached as well..is this going to effect the yield, and also check my previous mesg^^, should i move them out from under or leave em..peace Burn

N

noone88

It goes away during the drying/curing process. I keep the lights close enough to produce those huge dense colas, but far enough to prevent burn. You have a infrared thermometer; that will keep you from burning the tops.

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
sorry but what do you mean by goes away, and i am really looking to find an answer to my ques.^^^look a couple a posts up and help a broham out..well fuck it since peeps prob won't look up. WILL IT HURT MY YIELD AND SHOULD I MOVE THE PLANTS OUT FROM DIRECTLY UNDER THE LIGHT...if anyone could help i will be you bff forever..lol

N

noone88

The bleaching does not affect yield as long as you don't burn the tops.

The whitish-results from the light bleaching goes away when you dry/cure the flowers.

In other words, don't worry.

R

Rolln J

sorry bro - thought I pm'd you the answer - like noone said - as long as you dont burn the buds you should be fine with your yield.

D

d420

Premium Member
Supporter
I am having the same prob except it is my bottom sites are bleaching.. but the eops look fine.. interesting you are having the opposite problem..

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
well it doesn't look at all like the buds are burning, nut what,(sorry for ignorance), what does it look like when the bud frirst starts to burn..will i notice anything before..like i said, i have used 400's and never had an issue, never really heat probs. and certainly never any burnt bud...lol until a couple months out the jar..

M

Mystre.Pharmer

A few people have said it but I've personally had this happen once and when it cured the parts that where white turned like a purply-pink hue and looked really cool... smoked great still too. :smiley_joint:

R

Rolln J

if the buds burn the pistils with turn a funky tan or light brown color and shrivel up

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea ok, so it sounds like i'm good then, this kinda just took me off guard, i didn't expect to take so long to get the flower tent, now that i'm set, they will be perfect height, giving me room to spare, now there is really no raising of the light or bending that can be done..thanx rollin i really appreciate all your help man...peace burn

A

astonyx

i had it 12 inches and had no problems, and i didnt even have the air cooled hood, just a regular diamondhood

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
cool man, yea i see my leaves at 12in and they are lookin good,but still somewhat affected

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
could just be that the switch was so sudden next time you change to a higher wattage start with the hood higher at 1st then lower it down after a few days. its like hardening off

B

burnalot420

Lolipop Genetics
Supporter
yea, i did actually think about that before doing it, and asked a few people, who weren't sure, but felt that the switch from 4-6 wouldn't make a difference, but i am still not sure if it did to be honest..lol..everyone i have asked is saying mimum 12 inches, and more leaning to 18, and i am at like 8..lol.so yea these only have a few more weeks and the clones will be goin in, this time they will be 3 ft max, giving me plenty of room to raise/lower the light, but now i jus wana see how close i can get em just before they start to bleach, for maximum light...

Top Bottom