How Cold Is To Cold

• Thread starter Ryesty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ryesty

Ryesty

Had a couple cold days and not really sure why but my room shows a low temp. Of 54 degrees F. It usually only gets down to the mid 60s. Is that cold enough to hurt if it doesn’t stay that cold for very long. An hour or so

JBloomers123

JBloomers123

Had a couple cold days and not really sure why but my room shows a low temp. Of 54 degrees F. It usually only gets down to the mid 60s. Is that cold enough to hurt if it doesn’t stay that cold for very long. An hour or so
i think you'd be fine if only for an hour or so. If you have a heat source beyond your lighting I suggest a Inkbird temp control gauge - I love mine - i have both ac and heat controlled from it - it keeps optimal temps as well as a 2nd inkbird with humidifier plugged into to it regulate humidity. good luck

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

I let mine go to 55 to purple plants every night 8 months a year and to 60 the other 4. You'll be fine. And not just for an hour, for all night. Some cuts don't purple or purple slow at 60, which is what i think most people consider the standard for purpling. It is said that below 65 slows growth. I don't think it slows really until around 55 and below and only with certain strains.

Last edited:
Ryesty

Ryesty

Thanks for all the input! I’ll be moving them in there tonight from my veg room. I’ll keep posted with pics.

Ryesty

Ryesty

Below 65* and the foot zone shuts down. A shut down root zone stops.plant growth
That’s what I have always been told and read before. Gotta figure this out today. I have a few more areas I can caulk up. Hopefully

JBloomers123

JBloomers123

So now I’m a little confused...do we or do we not want optimal consistent temp and humidity of 70/50..?

First I’m hearing of purpling. What are the benefits? THANKS

Ryesty

Ryesty

I have read of people dropping there temps at night to purple things up. But from what I understand it’s usually done late in flowering. I am by no means an expert on this. I did have temps get low before and did get some purple. This was unintentional and during snow this year. I do feel like it may have slowed growth some. The benefits are basically bag appeal. Your average Joe loves to get a sack of purple weed.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Yes
Dripping day/night temps can bring out "fall colors. It' called "autumning off".

Also light spectrum can also bring it out. Below is week 7 of a 68day run. No temp drops yet. Check out the purple sugar leaves.

20180306 203855

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Different cuts purple at different temperatures at different rates and on different parts. I've tested growing at 80/55 And 80/70 and everywhere in between. The cold never affected flower time or yield in any of my cuts at 55, which is why i go to that. I stated the recommended 65 degrees because there is so much variance in genetics. However, and I'm stating this because i don't want people to assume I'm saying their plants will be fine at 55 nights, the standard in books and generally accepted standard is that 65 or lower can affect growth. I've never seen it happen in 5 years now of invested interest in purples and other colors, but that should mean nothing to you except to test it yourself. I do these tests side by side, not just on feel. I record everything and quantify it. You should be doing that too for products or methods if you're going to talk about it or do it. I was told by a famous purple grower to go to 55 and i tested it and like it. Two of my cuts only purple at below 60 even, which i think is interesting. A couple purple at 70, its all in the genes. You also have to flush your plant because the chlorophyll will hide the color. Plants don't just purple overnight so doing at end is only feasible with certain cuts. Most purple strains purple at lower temperatures, faster, and more completely. Just gotta learn your cuts behavior.

As for the benefits, as far as i know just appeal and alteration. I would argue that it has more chance to be less potent than a green plant and overall i reckon purple bud would be less potent overall compared to green bud for that reason. Light exposure is key also so it's easy to get half purple buds. This is a ww bud that only purples at below 60 and only where light gets, hence its part purple. It does however sell really easy if that's important to you. Mostly because nobody knows anything about it or i doubt it would be so sought after. Anyways, test it for yourself, go to 60 first during flush is my recommendation, just to see it happen faster and then make your own judgments from there. I don't recommend setting your room to 55 because you read this post though, you shouldn't do anything new to plants that matter to you, especially when there is no inherent benefit lol. I'll tell you though that ignorant people will call shit purple weed fire so if you can grow normal looking buds that are purple, it'll likely move a lot faster.

20180102 145925

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

If anything I beleive temps lower than 60 will slow down growth but not hurt the plant persay.

A lot of people like to lower temps for purpling but I beleive a plant with a true purple pheno expression will show in ideal temps which I consider to be 76 dah and 68 night.
When you lower the temps to bring purple out you are going to lose a bt in yield. It’s not a true purple pheno. Photosynthesis slows down and growth slows. Even at late stages.
I prefer my plants in idea conditions throughout and bring out the true phenotypical expression intended. Just my opinion.
Purple helps with bag appeal to some unknowing smokers so if that helps then it’s a good thing. It’s not making any better pot tho. Find a true purple strain and let that expression come out while it’s still thriving

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

So now I’m a little confused...do we or do we not want optimal consistent temp and humidity of 70/50..?

First I’m hearing of purpling. What are the benefits? THANKS
I beleive yes. Ideal temps throughout. Any manipulating to get color is just bag appeal and is actually taking away (however small it may be) from yield and potential

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

If anything I beleive temps lower than 60 will slow down growth but not hurt the plant persay.

A lot of people like to lower temps for purpling but I beleive a plant with a true purple pheno expression will show in ideal temps which I consider to be 76 dah and 68 night.
When you lower the temps to bring purple out you are going to lose a bt in yield. It’s not a true purple pheno. Photosynthesis slows down and growth slows. Even at late stages.
I prefer my plants in idea conditions throughout and bring out the true phenotypical expression intended. Just my opinion.
Purple helps with bag appeal to some unknowing smokers so if that helps then it’s a good thing. It’s not making any better pot tho. Find a true purple strain and let that expression come out while it’s still thriving
This is more or less what i wanted to instill in people. I just happen to get more enjoyment out of messing with the coloring than i would out of a potential negative effect. If that doesn't match you and you still want purple, "true" purple plants purple at normal temperatures. Otherwise, you should be aiming to keep a standard night temperature of 68.

Ryesty

Ryesty

Thanks to everyone for all the great info! I’m definitely not trying to alter away from optimal temps. To get a purple look at this time. I recently relocated to A dry cold state and have built a shed for my grow. My previous state was hot and humid always. Now I’m in cold dry 10% humidity. It’s been a challenge to get it dialed in. As soon as you think you have it right the weather goes from 10degrees to 70 over night. Just still getting it all put together. Upgrading constantly! I’m getting close just want to make sure I’m not going to loose them.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Thanks to everyone for all the great info! I’m definitely not trying to alter away from optimal temps. To get a purple look at this time. I recently relocated to A dry cold state and have built a shed for my grow. My previous state was hot and humid always. Now I’m in cold dry 10% humidity. It’s been a challenge to get it dialed in. As soon as you think you have it right the weather goes from 10degrees to 70 over night. Just still getting it all put together. Upgrading constantly! I’m getting close just want to make sure I’m not going to loose them.
Insulate the shit out of the shed. Make it like a hous. Don’t skimp on insulating it will help ALOT

Ryesty

Ryesty

I have the walls at about r30. I put r15 in between the studs and 2 inch iso board over the studs. I have it sealed pretty good but not 100% yet. Still have to insulate the roof. I think I’m going to put roll insulation in between the rafters and hang the drywall to the bottom side of the rafters. Or I can attach 2 inch iso to the bottom side of the rafters it’s about r13 I think and leave the cavity in between the rafters empty to allow for air flow and hopefully prevent condensation. I could put some holes in my soffit over hang and put an on ridge ventilation system in and get great air flow. But is R13 on the roof enough. Should I do the roof the same as the walls? Just R30 everything is the end result for sure.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I feel lower temps help with trichome production
Do you feel that as opposed to ideal conditions say 68 night 76 day?
Or as opposed to being a little too warm?
Seriously curious. It’s something I ponder and play with. Where is that line where you’re sacrificing trichomes for more weight or vice verse more trichomes for less weight? Always learning

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

I used to always run 76/73. Been running 77/68 noticed trichome increase with the cooler nights at least thats what I think lol Not 100% sure, always trying to figure it out too. Honestly I like to run warm through week 7 then drop cooler that last 2 weeks.

Top Bottom