How contagious is mold in a jar?

• Thread starter LoganatorDude
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoganatorDude

LoganatorDude

So basically to keep it short, I went to burp my buds as usual when it came to my attention a jar of some small scrapy buds had been misplaced and gone unattended for about a week. To my surprise not only had this jar gone unattended for way too long, but the buds were not even dry! No matter, these small scraps are moldy. I know what that small white fuzzy stuff is. So I left the contents inside the jar and completely removed the the entire thing and placed it remotely in a paper bag for now.

My question is: could the brief discovery of moldy buds possibly transmit spores through the air to either my other dried buds curing? Or worse, the way I reacted by instantly carrying the jar out of the room, I did it so immediately that I didn’t even have the lid back on the jar until I had already left the room! I still have buds hanging in the open as well as a fresh plant in the room that I walked past with the moldy bud. My concern is that the free convection in and out of the jar as it travels out the room, is that enough to spray mold spores all over everything? Is the room contaminated? If I were to proceed to open another jar, would I further contaminate things??

Please help me as I don’t understand how contagious mold can be. I realize if the buds were completely dry before going into a jar, this wouldn’t have happened. Also the moldy jar didn’t have an RH pack...

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

The cobweb Mold will not ‘spread’ out of the jar from opening, it will grow on everything in close proximity In the jar unless the humidity is dealt with immediately, If your drying room had a mouldy buds AND is above 70% humidity then it’s possible, otherwise not likely

LoganatorDude

LoganatorDude

The cobweb Mold will not ‘spread’ out of the jar from opening, it will grow on everything in close proximity In the jar unless the humidity is dealt with immediately, If your drying room had a mouldy buds AND is above 70% humidity then it’s possible, otherwise not likely
Thanks! That’s actually a very helpful comment because I’m living in the high desert over 7k feet and super dry, explaining my lack of experience with mold. I’ll keep an eye on drying room, and of corse, not jar anything without close attention. Typically the average RH in the house or outside that I’ve seen has been anywhere from 14% to 28% however it can get up about 48% inside sometimes. I’m running couple fans and humidifier in drying room to circulate the air at 65% RH. However factors outside my drying room will cause temp and RH to fluctuate inside the drying room regardless of the device settings. I’m not exactly sure what’s going on, either way if I feel concerned I’ll just allow for things closer to 55%. I guess this way I can feel more confident that any potential moisture/mold problems are under control. Only issue so far was localized inside a jar, and yeah those were some wet buds!

I’ll probably use the moldy material on an iso or everclear extraction.

Latest posts

Top Bottom