How Dark is Dark? - Bruce Bugbee

• Thread starter Observationist
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Observationist

Observationist

Thank you sir
check this out, fast forward to the growth chambers if you dont wanna watch the whole thing, thought those were just so fucking cool. (loud warning)

EVERY VARIABLE CONTROLLED & ACCOUNTED for.

id love to go research under him in his labs and work with the growth chambers at USU.....been thinking about botany classes more and more.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Bugbee is the only person I’ve ever hit YouTube to watch. Switched to LED last year. Seedlings stretched like mad. Turn up the light. Next day they looked like white plastic plants. Never seen anything like it. I do mean ivory white. Obviously I needed some understanding. Saw his name here. Went there.

Bought a cheaper quantum PAR meter after a couple of the vids. Had to watch a couple more than once to get a more complete understanding. Immediate payoff. Immediate. He’s the only thing I refer growers to for reference. I mean the guy is a scientist with PhD. I’ve graduated college with just a few PhDs actually lecturing. He’s amazing and I thank him.

Observationist

Observationist

Bugbee is the only person I’ve ever hit YouTube to watch. Switched to LED last year. Seedlings stretched like mad. Turn up the light. Next day they looked like white plastic plants. Never seen anything like it. I do mean ivory white. Obviously I needed some understanding. Saw his name here. Went there.

Bought a cheaper quantum PAR meter after a couple of the vids. Had to watch a couple more than once to get a more complete understanding. Immediate payoff. Immediate. He’s the only thing I refer growers to for reference. I mean the guy is a scientist with PhD. I’ve graduated college with just a few PhDs actually lecturing. He’s amazing and I thank him.
yup, i always say, i mean the guy designed/helped/did the research for growing plants in FUCKING SPACE, lol.

Observationist

Observationist

I use a 500 watt desk heater hooked to an Inkbird. Year round. Of course I live in the middle of Alaska. Again on information from this man and the program at Utah State.
Id love to go there and research botany/cannabis for a few, hell why not go for a PhD

Observationist

Observationist

I use a 500 watt desk heater hooked to an Inkbird. Year round. Of course I live in the middle of Alaska. Again on information from this man and the program at Utah State.
brighter nights /reflection on snow perhaps, plus the cold. (if outdoors/windows)

could be negligible, but you can test with youre meter!

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

i can not get enough.
I immediately saw I needed to take notes. Finished watching it and ordered the meter and I use it regularly. Regularly. But before it came I took pen and paper and watched it again. The basic video explaining all the terms and their relationship to light. Just fantastic information I put to use immediately.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

brighter nights /reflection on snow perhaps, plus the cold. (if outdoors/windows)

could be negligible, but you can test with youre meter!
My first winter this side of the Alaska Range I brought in 6 plants I’d vegged outdoors under the midnight sun. Single room cabin. No tent. Put them the only place I could fit them and slammed a baby gate down on them. They’d been topped and aggressively supercropped.

Kept the lights off mostly but I’d turn the light on over the stove once in a while and watched movies on the television. No hermies. No weird shit. Had to tie that baby gate to nails in the floor. These were right next to a plexiglass window that was cracked. Ice would build up. Hit -58F and was regularly -40. That 1000 watt HPS was welcome heat. But have a wood stove plus an oil heater so it didn’t go from hot to cold.

Observationist

Observationist

My first winter this side of the Alaska Range I brought in 6 plants I’d vegged outdoors under the midnight sun. Single room cabin. No tent. Put them the only place I could fit them and slammed a baby gate down on them. They’d been topped and aggressively supercropped.

Kept the lights off mostly but I’d turn the light on over the stove once in a while and watched movies on the television. No hermies. No weird shit. Had to tie that baby gate to nails in the floor. These were right next to a plexiglass window that was cracked. Ice would build up. Hit -58F and was regularly -40. That 1000 watt HPS was welcome heat. But have a wood stove plus an oil heater so it didn’t go from hot to cold.
Haha babygated plant.

I don’t get anal as fuck about the lights.

It seems as long as you don’t actually turn on a grow light over them or continuous light when they need that dark time, it don’t really affect them as much.

Atleast not for the hobby grower perhaps.

I’m at 13hours rn, I’d go to 13 1/2, 14 but also don’t wanna push it too much and go into reveg, while they’re doing pretty decent.

This kitchen light is on a lot, tent isn’t always zipped, and leave it open some for environment purposes.

Probably negligible issues from light

The male I had before is probably the culprit for some balls/seeds but for the most part, the plants I want are flowering nicely.

finishing bulking about and then ripening perhaps.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Haha babygated plant.

I don’t get anal as fuck about the lights.

It seems as long as you don’t actually turn on a grow light over them or continuous light when they need that dark time, it don’t really affect them as much.

Atleast not for the hobby grower perhaps.

I’m at 13hours rn, I’d go to 13 1/2, 14 but also don’t wanna push it too much and go into reveg, while they’re doing pretty decent.

This kitchen light is on a lot, tent isn’t always zipped, and leave it open some for environment purposes.

Probably negligible issues from light

The male I had before is probably the culprit for some balls/seeds but for the most part, the plants I want are flowering nicely.

finishing bulking about and then ripening perhaps.
I’ve seen great plants outdoors near or even under streetlights. Go figure with HPS. So basically no real dark but they flower.

Observationist

Observationist

i need to get a controller...

got the plans to finally deck my shit out, just not the funds

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Keep in mind he runs co2. Also a fee other keys that should be noted but that in itself changes many many variables

freezeland2

freezeland2

i might go for 14(on)-10 for this next flower, and see.
I started this years outdoor with 14 hrs on and increasing it weekly with my area sunrise/sunset times. This is the first year I started seeds for outside like this. I can say I have not noticed any difference in vegetative growth doing this versus starting at 18 hrs and decreasing to match sunrise/sunset before I put them outside.

Top Bottom