How did I mess up(first time grower)

• Thread starter MajinZeke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MajinZeke

MajinZeke

I'm in the process of getting rid of fungal gnats, so my soil is a little dry. Are the weird spots fungas, nutrient issue or something else?

How did i mess upfirst time grower
Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Prolly not from the gnats. Could be a few things. Please post a whole plant pic and give us some info. media, lighting, feeding regimen, etc.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

By the way, a bout of fungus gnats is part of the initiation into growing. Somehow, they are the world’s most perfect cannabis pest. If there is weed growing, sooner or later they will find it and visit you. Consider it a rite of passage

MajinZeke

MajinZeke

Prolly not from the gnats. Could be a few things. Please post a whole plant pic and give us some info. media, lighting, feeding regimen, etc.
Specs:

Temp: 78-82°
Humidity: 62%
PPFD: 300-515
Light cycle: 18/6
Soil: Roots organic soil
Nutrients: Roots organic foundation and grow Watering about every 3 days
1 small oscillating fan

20240115 083910 remastered
Bilber

Bilber

I'm not a soil grower.....but gnats love moisture.....

Make sure that you are letting the plants do a dryback.....almost to the point of drooping......not a full on droop, but you want the container to be light......

I see you have 1 fan....they don't like wind either.....

The tan fabric pot in the back, I also don't use them, should be filled with your medium of choice....almost to the top.....like your other containers....

Looking great so far though.....great job!

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

Are you letting it dry down between waterings? 3 days for that size plant and pot, at least in my space(s) would be too much. The top is getting dry, but I really like for them to use most of the moisture in the pot before I soak them again. That dry cycle is really important in soil.

MajinZeke

MajinZeke

Are you letting it dry down between waterings? 3 days for that size plant and pot, at least in my space(s) would be too much. The top is getting dry, but I really like for them to use most of the moisture in the pot before I soak them again. That dry cycle is really important in soil.
Yes, I am. Here is a picture from this morning:

MajinZeke

MajinZeke

And I try to make the pot as dry as possible before the next watering too

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Yea also drying out your soil before using it helps a lot

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I'd turn down the light. Plants that are happy with the light level have fan leaves that are flat, level, and green. Second, I'd water to runoff, only when the pots are very light. There are lots of ways to grow. That's just what's worked for me.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
By the way, a bout of fungus gnats is part of the initiation into growing. Somehow, they are the world’s most perfect cannabis pest. If there is weed growing, sooner or later they will find it and visit you. Consider it a rite of passage
That is so damn true! I've had my seedlings in soil for about a week and saw the first fungus gnat this morning. That means there will be more soon. I was hoping I wouldn't see any this time, but no, I was wrong.

The eggs typically hatch after watering. So, I spray some hydrogen peroxide on them when they're hatching. That'll kill a lot of them. After seeing one today, I put a sticky trap near the soil. These are just some of the things I've tried. There's plenty of information about combating fungus gnats on the web.

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

That is so damn true! I've had my seedlings in soil for about a week and saw the first fungus gnat this morning. That means there will be more soon. I was hoping I wouldn't see any this time, but no, I was wrong.

The eggs typically hatch after watering. So, I spray some hydrogen peroxide on them when they're hatching. That'll kill a lot of them. After seeing one today, I put a sticky trap near the soil. These are just some of the things I've tried. There's plenty of information about combating fungus gnats on the web.
Most definitely. We all have our methods…because we all deal with them. I have found that crushed up mosquito bits or dunks sprinkled on top of the media, so it waters in easily keeps them down to almost nothing.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I've read that fungus gnats are drawn to soil with wood chips in it. I reuse my soil and compost it between uses. I started with FFHF and FFOF. The gnats haven't been as bad as the wood chips have decomposed, but I still have a long time till they're completely done.

S

ScroggerDave

Specs:

Temp: 78-82°
Humidity: 62%
PPFD: 300-515
Light cycle: 18/6
Soil: Roots organic soil
Nutrients: Roots organic foundation and grow Watering about every 3 days
1 small oscillating fan
I’m not saying this is the problem, but want to mention that I made it two months of veg in roots organic lush soil before needing to add nutrients. I don’t know which roots organic soil you’re using though. Here’s a shot from the last time I took a pic (a couple days ago). I’m going to take another pic when lights come on in 1.5hrs.
IMG 1232

MajinZeke

MajinZeke

I’m not saying this is the problem, but want to mention that I made it two months of veg in roots organic lush soil before needing to add nutrients. I don’t know which roots organic soil you’re using though. Here’s a shot from the last time I took a pic (a couple days ago). I’m going to take another pic when lights come on in 1.5hrs.
View attachment 2105082
I'm using the regular green bag... the 1.5 one.

jdog22

jdog22

I'm in the process of getting rid of fungal gnats, so my soil is a little dry. Are the weird spots fungas, nutrient issue or something else?
hey man i cant be screwed reading all the comments so ill just throw my 5cents in incase you have got any other fixes.
i personally use neem oil, you can use it on weed plants and still smoke it, i dont know the difference haha but dont do it late flowering the problem must be fixed by than. so with neem oil use some little sticky bug traps you put in the soil 2 for each pot and use the fan to your advantage to blow the gnat nats into the traps. 1 week you should be sorted. please dont use fly spray or anything. i had the idea on my first grow so just sayin lol

your plants looks like it could be getting hurt from the nats or maybe even your lights a little close when i got my first bundle setup i got screwed over they gave me a 2x2 tent with a exhaust fan that i couldnt work out which was sucking and blowing it was that weak to top it off they swung me also a 600w magnetic ballast xD now to anyone that knows tent sizes and lights thats just stupid lol

just my opinion, just want to help :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom