How do I collect and store pollen?

• Thread starter PDX420Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Hi, I recently popped 2 seeds and both germ'd and are about a few wks old. 1 male and 1 fem. Both in 16oz party cups. Female is 7-8 in. tall and the male is about 6-7 in. The male has a small cone on top and balls hanging everywhere. The lower nuts dropped a lil pollen yesterday and the others aren't ready yet. The female isn't near being put in 12/12 yet. I ordered a few glass vials on ebay and waiting for their arrival. Should I collect the pollen in a vial and put it in the fridge? Is it sensitive to light? I wont be able to use it for about 2-3 months. How do some of you guys collect and store pollen? Thanks -PDX

S

skunky og

I'd collect the pollen by putting a piece of glass or paper under the male pod and collect it that way or however u like to do it. Then I'd put it into your vials with some rice in there. The rice will suck up all the moisture and works extremely well. That's how I've always done it and it always stays fresh for at least 6months. Moisture is your enemy with pollen. Any moisture and its dead. Hope all goes well and u make some nice crosses. It's such a thrill to see seeds you breed being grown. I just love it! ~skunky

coloradochem

coloradochem

sounds good id add some desicant. theres a thread around here somewhere about cyad? cycad? pollen storage methods. good luck

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
you dont need to cut it with flour to store it, but you can. theres a ton of threads if you search it
Collect the pollen over time and place it into a clean vial like a film canister. I really like using a paper plate held under a group of flowers, and then gently thumping the stem. After collecting the pollen, the paper plate can be creased, held over a vial, and the sides and edges thumped until all the pollen is vibrated into the vial.

For a pollen carrier, heat about 2 or 3 teaspoons of flour in an oven to 180F for about 20 mins or in a small pot set on low heat, let it cool *thoroughly*, and mix with the pollen to dilute it. I use a ratio of about 1/4 tsp pollen to 3 tsp flour and have very successful pollination rates. Store in small containers like contact lens cases excluding as much air as possible and store in the fridge for long term storage. Remember, it only takes one male to fertilize one female ovule, and there are millions of pollen cells in a 1/4 tsp of pollen so be sure and dilute it.

Take out only enough of the pollen mixture (1/4 tsp.) to use for one session and use your finger, or a small artist brush (my preferred method) to pollinate a few of the lower branches which have fresh, white pistils. Do not contaminate the main pollen source with a resinous, sticky artist's brush! Clean the brush's bristles with Isopropyl alcohol after each session and let the bristles dry thoroughly before using it again. I hit the chosen receptor branches 3 times on a weekly basis to insure a good supply of seeds.

*Label* the pollinated branches, and harvest your seeds in 3 to 6 weeks. I just cure the seeded branches with the rest of the crop, and tear apart the seeded buds with my fingers. You'll find the seeds close to the stem. Store the seeds in the fridge or freezer, labeled of course, with a little dessicant like heat treated rice for long term storage.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Where do you find the dessicant? In silica packets? Sold on ebay? Is there a preferred kind?

coloradochem

coloradochem

i save the ones i find in shoe boxes. lol. rice works well also.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

So, should I keep the pollen is a peice of folded paper, In a small glass vial with a lil dried rice in the vial? Then stick the vial in the fridge?

Onespark

Onespark

Ya, get marking desiccant when you can though.

https://secure.drierite.com/catalog3/page3.cfm

You can put the pollen in little paper packets like they mentioned and then store those in the vial with the marking desiccant. When it turns blue, put in the oven on low for a bit and reuse it. Rice is cool if you are going to use your pollen really soon or if you make sure to change it out as the pollen dries. After the marking desiccant turns blue you can freeze your pollen for a year at least.

Collecting pollen and keeping Dads is where it's at. I have White Fire X Happy Brother, Sour Diesel X Happy Brother (Karma) and White Fire X Emperor Kush daddies busting sack all over my backyard right now! Get after it!

I have to edit this to laugh because this is ALL covered in the sticky at the top of the breeder forum AD NASEUM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom