How do I figure out my MAX amperage?

• Thread starter Jimson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jimson

Situation: Grow room is in a rental. The "fusebox" is circuit-breaker switches that are UN-labeled. I want to try moving up to a higher wattage HPS setup.

I borrowed a watt-meter, my highest usage is under 2000 / hr - so, if I bumped it up another say 1200 watts - that's gotta be safely under most circuit setups - RIGHT?

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
The max amperage that you can use depends on the service coming in, ie. 100, 200 amps or more? what you are running now, what you want to run in the future.and what other fixtures are running off of the service.

J

Jimson

My garden room with everything running is less than 2000 watts per hour of usage. I don't know about the rest of the place. I usually don't use the refrigerator and I keep the furnace thermo set at 65 degrees.

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
If you could be more specific it would help. How many and what watt light's? How many amps is the electric service? (Look in the panel on the main circuit breaker). And lastly what do you want to add to your setup?

J

Jimson

You've reminded me of a metal sign outside the place. Something from the local utility co. I will check next time I can.
I doubt that adding two 600-watters would blow a normal household circuit but this is not a big-city apartment complex. You cannot run the ceiling fan and watch the tv at the same time.

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
You've reminded me of a metal sign outside the place. Something from the local utility co. I will check next time I can.
I doubt that adding two 600-watters would blow a normal household circuit but this is not a big-city apartment complex. You cannot run the ceiling fan and watch the tv at the same time.

WOW, you really need to do some checking on your electric service and wiring.:sweating

sedate

sedate

Jimson said:

Jimson said:
I borrowed a watt-meter, my highest usage is under 2000 / hr - so, if I bumped it up another say 1200 watts - that's gotta be safely under most circuit setups - RIGHT?

Oh my god. Absolutely not. "bumped it up another say 1200 watts" - that shit is why one out of every five housefires in California is a grow op.

First, I want you to buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1698RH9ZSVE571BV8N7B

A pair of 600watt lights will consume something on the order of 11 - 12.5 amps - this is alot on a 120v circuit. Most household circuits max out at 15 amps before you blow the breaker - so if your wiring won't run a fan and a TV at the same time, then you are absolutely SOL with a PAIR of 600watt lamps, much less subsidiary hardware to push all your air around.

Jimson said:
My garden room with everything running is less than 2000 watts per hour of usage.

This is just about the limit on a standard 15amp household circuit. It depends a bit on the exact voltage where you are, but typically hovers around 1600 - 1800 rated watts.

Midnight Sun said:
WOW, you really need to do some checking on your electric service and wiring

Yea really - in all probablity you're operating whatever it is your operating at the absolute limits. Your lucky you haven't had problems before.

Jimson, I have THREE seperate 15amp circuits for my growroom and I'm barely at 3000watts and I'd like a couple more just for headroom.

You need to post up ALOT more information before precise questions can be answered.

Short answer: Hell no you can't "bump it up 1200 watts"

sedate

sedate

BTW, Jimson, not to be a pedantic dick or overly preachy, but re-reading your first posts sends out so many red-flags I'm compelled to remind you of what electricty can do:

If, like - say - worst case scenario imaginable - if you started a fire wiring that shit up (which wouldn't necessarily take more than the breaker failing under heavy load and sparking up some loose insulation with all the heat generated at those resistance levels) - and someone died of smoke-inhalation or even ended up injured in someway - something crazy like that - you'll be liable for criminally negligent homicide or third-degree assault or something, nevermind shitloads of civil liability. Like you'd never escape the consequences.

I mean - it doesn't even have to be that bad - your breaker could fail and - maybe no fire - but maybe you blow the box that runs the neighborhood. I met a guy that happened to - he got in alot of trouble - like he had to pay Xcel energy like $7800 to fix the box for the street - and got evicted - lost his deposit - all kinds of shit.

J

Jimson

This was a bigger issue than I imagined. Sedate was right on the money.

The living room circuit is shared with a neighbor! All kinds of bad things could have already happened. And I must be paying for her yard-light and who knows what?!

Time to move.

BTW - I am very big on Fire Safety, just didn't pay much attention in class beyond Ohm's law.

BCNU and be careful out there.

Midnight_son

Midnight_son

Premium Member
Supporter
Very well explained Sedate. Jimson, glad you are choosing to move on. The place you are speaking of is a fire waiting to happen, with or without a grow op. When you look for a new place, make sure the power is adequate for your needs. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom