How do I get big heavy buds in dwc ?

• Thread starter TheGreek_978
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheGreek_978

TheGreek_978

Hello Everyone!

So this is my third grow with the DWC style of growing . First grow not the best only 3 ounces, 2nd grow better with 8 ounces and my third grow I feel is even better but couldn’t let her get as big as I wanted to hoping to get 8 ounces out of this too.

All 3 grows tho never had heavy buds were I had to have them being held up by Ropes or strings, just not low size bud held up on their own. How do I get to that kind of bud growing where the buds are so big and dense they lean over?

I’m growing in a 2x3x5 tent in a 12 gallon bucket with 2 viparspectra 1500xs lights.

For nutrients I’m using GH Flora Nova grow and Flora Nova Bloom also cal mag and hydroguard and that’s it. Pics of current grow

PPM’s 800ish
Ph 5.8-6.3
Water temp mid 60’s

How do i get big heavy buds in dwc
How do i get big heavy buds in dwc 2
How do i get big heavy buds in dwc 3
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Well, your plant looks very healthy, so that's a great start.

I'm thinking the only way you're going to increase your yield is either more (or more powerful) lights or you need a more heavy yielding strain.

Genetics is a huge part of it. Some strains just don't put out as much as others. Maybe look around for heavy hitters like Super Silver Haze or pretty much any haze strain next time, those generally put out very high yields.

The general rule for lights goes 1 lb. per 1,000 watt light (like a HPS light, not LED). But, this is not gospel and there can be a lot of other variants depending on the light, strain, nutrients used, etc. etc.

Co2 supplementation will help increase yields significantly, as well. Particularly in a small tent like that, might be beneficial to get a Co2 bag for a small space like that, or there are a lot of homemade Co2 generators you can make, or you can go as far as rigging a professional Co2 system but for a small tent like that, might be overkill. You might have to try to seal the tent a little better, too. Like putting duct tape over every crack and seam.

Get a decent Co2 meter (can find on Amazon for under 50 bucks) so you know what the PPM of Co2 is in your tent. Keep the levels jacked to 2,500 ppm and watch your plants explode! :D

Anyway I'd say it looks like you're on the right track. Healthy plants are the first ingredient to a maximum yield.

Keep up the good work!

🤠

TheGreek_978

TheGreek_978

Well, your plant looks very healthy, so that's a great start.

I'm thinking the only way you're going to increase your yield is either more (or more powerful) lights or you need a more heavy yielding strain.

Genetics is a huge part of it. Some strains just don't put out as much as others. Maybe look around for heavy hitters like Super Silver Haze or pretty much any haze strain next time, those generally put out very high yields.

The general rule for lights goes 1 lb. per 1,000 watt light (like a HPS light, not LED). But, this is not gospel and there can be a lot of other variants depending on the light, strain, nutrients used, etc. etc.

Co2 supplementation will help increase yields significantly, as well. Particularly in a small tent like that, might be beneficial to get a Co2 bag for a small space like that, or there are a lot of homemade Co2 generators you can make, or you can go as far as rigging a professional Co2 system but for a small tent like that, might be overkill. You might have to try to seal the tent a little better, too. Like putting duct tape over every crack and seam.

Get a decent Co2 meter (can find on Amazon for under 50 bucks) so you know what the PPM of Co2 is in your tent. Keep the levels jacked to 2,500 ppm and watch your plants explode! :D

Anyway I'd say it looks like you're on the right track. Healthy plants are the first ingredient to a maximum yield.

Keep up the good work!

🤠
Thank you! Ya I keep hearing about CO2 but never thought about doing it. I’ll have to try on the next round of grow I go. And this tent now has duct tape all over it because of light leaks so I’ll have to be getting a new tent anyways. But I’ll def try the CO2 way and I plan on doing a RDWC next time just for the easiness of cleaning the tank

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
These Exhale bags work pretty well for small tents like that

TheGreek_978

TheGreek_978

I wish I did this earlier, now I’m just 3-4 weeks from harvest so I don’t think it’s worth the time now. But for the next grow I will!

A

alpha.ganjaguy

I wouldn't waste your time or money on the co2 bags, you can create more co2 just hanging with your plants and breathing in there.. especially useless if you are not running a sealed room.. for a tent, you'll just be venting it out

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
I wouldn't waste your time or money on the co2 bags, you can create more co2 just hanging with your plants and breathing in there.. especially useless if you are not running a sealed room.. for a tent, you'll just be venting it out
Yeah that's why I suggested trying to seal up his tent a little better with some duct tape or something. But, for the price the bags aren't that bad, they do work for small spaces as long as you're not opening the tent constantly.

Also, you could make a Co2 generator pretty easily with a 5 gallon bucket, some water, sugar, and yeast. This can be dangerous if not done properly because you're essentially making alcohol, but if done right it works great and it's probably just as cost effective as the bags, and probably makes more Co2. Just requires more work, so I guess it depends on how much you want to dedicate to that in one way or another.

There are some decent youtube videos on how to make a Co2 generator in this fashion.

ShaggyBeerProf

ShaggyBeerProf

Also, you could make a Co2 generator pretty easily with a 5 gallon bucket, some water, sugar, and yeast. This can be dangerous if not done properly because you're essentially making alcohol, but if done right it works great and it's probably just as cost effective as the bags, and probably makes more Co2. Just requires more work, so I guess it depends on how much you want to dedicate to that in one way or another.
this is a great idea, I also brew beer so I could just put the fermentor in the tent... thanks!

TheGreek_978

TheGreek_978

Ya I think for the next grow I’ll go bag and also a new tent just because the one I have now is pretty beat up and covered in duct tape already to seal light leaks.

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

what does your root zone look like? My biggest results in DWC came when my root zone went crazy and filled out the entire bucket. I attribute it to using hydroguard or the like!

IMG 0764

TheGreek_978

TheGreek_978

The coloring is from the nutrient solution I am using it is not root rot. And some pics of the trichs

IMG 8628
IMG 8637
Image 2023 05 31 18 24 10 332
Image 2023 05 31 18 23 59 036
Image 2023 05 31 18 25 00 036
H

hydrochief

These are my ladies day 26 in the beginning I didn't have a complete set up so they lacked but I know what to do different I'm running GH 3 part no grow with magical, armor si, Floralicious,lcb, and something like hydroguard I'm actually kinda proud cause they didn't double in size when I kicked them over any recommendation on when to come in with the dry kool bloom and is hydroguard the best innoculant I've figured out not removing water and how to refill to maintain ppm so please by all means

IMG20230601142045
IMG20230601142128
H.o.l_407

H.o.l_407

I just started usin exhale bags and im seeing a difference already.

B

Bdubs

I run a sealed room with exhaust only and CO2 with higher temps. It worked out fine. I will say she tripled in size from triggering flower. She is pretty big for being a cut. Yet she was vegging for 11 weeks I believe with pre flower, but under fluorescent lighting for most of that veg and 4-5 of them being under LeD Veg.

I think veg time, defoliation, manifolding or mainlining is the ticket for obtaining heavy yields. Less to do with genes or pheno. Simply veg time, manifolding, mainlining, and lst to get a massive main stem before you push flower and proper pruning to achieve massive weight and size.

I am growing a cut from a momma that grew to be so heavy she needed trellising and had at least coke can sized cola buds, no CO2 used in that grow but 13 weeks veg. This momma was manifolded and topped for 8 colas and yielded close to a pound.

If any of that is any consolation.

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

Wrote a long post but lost it when I tried to link it to this thread. If you decide to switch to rdwc, there is a way to ditch the electric water pump. It will still circulate 5-6 gal. an hour. I believe, and this is proof, you don't need a river running through your grow for it to be RCDW. Now I'll sit back and wait for the stir this will create. https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/deep-water-culture.93398/page-3#p

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

Still didn't get the right number, you need to scroll down a few posts to get to the one I wanted.

simonkay

simonkay

Haven't done hydro in a while but isn't 800ppms a bit on the light side?
Also how much oxygen are you pumping through to roots, usually one stone won't cut it hydro and is you air pump strong enough to push out them bubbles as that would increase yields in a cost effective manner.

M

monkey47

Thank you! Ya I keep hearing about CO2 but never thought about doing it. I’ll have to try on the next round of grow I go. And this tent now has duct tape all over it because of light leaks so I’ll have to be getting a new tent anyways. But I’ll def try the CO2 way and I plan on doing a RDWC next time just for the easiness of cleaning the tank
Co2 is really something you want to do when you have all other factors under control. Otherwise the cost is not worth the outcome. Go over board on air you cant pump to much air into a dwc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom