How do I preserve seeds?

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

I do not want to spend $130+ for a new batch of seeds when I'm through with this batch I have now. I know of the techniques used by growers to produce seeds, however, I do not know of a way to 'seal' the seeds for use at a much later date. Most folk tell me I need to use the seeds within 6 mos. to a year.

Does anyone here have a tried, true, and tested method of preserving seeds for use at a later date, possibly years later?

growsince79

growsince79

I do not want to spend $130+ for a new batch of seeds when I'm through with this batch I have now. I know of the techniques used by growers to produce seeds, however, I do not know of a way to 'seal' the seeds for use at a much later date. Most folk tell me I need to use the seeds within 6 mos. to a year.

Does anyone here have a tried, true, and tested method of preserving seeds for use at a later date, possibly years later?
I just took 6 seeds out of deep freeze for 4 years. Hope they work.

R

ritoMox

Pls do report back here and let me know if they work, I was informed by someone not to do this.
This killer piece suggests otherwise:
"Those seeds went back into his refrigerator for 23 years until 2019 when he gave them to Todd McCormick who started growing them out and realized that they were still quite acrid and not so sweet".
Edit: Damn, this just occurred to me: Is he suggesting that aging beans in your refrigerator can alter their genetic expressions?
Uh, I mean in a way that makes them more desirable, not less desirable as in degradation. 🧐

Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Keep them in the refrigerator, sealed in air tight containers, and they'll last at least 10 years or more. I crack 10 year old seeds with 90 - 100% germ rates.

Lockebox

Lockebox

What about seeds left in the original breeder packaging? Would they be alright for a couple years in a cool dark drawer or would they need to be refrigerated?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Keep them in the refrigerator, sealed in air tight containers, and they'll last at least 10 years or more. I crack 10 year old seeds with 90 - 100% germ rates.
I through a little rice in-there for any moisture - no problems with 3/4 year old seeds
Silica beads work as a desiccant as well. The key is keeping them dry. Freezing does work but you'll lose some seeds along the way. I keep mine in the refrigerator in a sealed container.

What about seeds left in the original breeder packaging? Would they be alright for a couple years in a cool dark drawer or would they need to be refrigerated?
That depends on a lot of factors. In most cases, you'll be okay but over time your germination rate might drop a little. I put the breeder packs in a sealed plastic container and refrigerate for long term storage.

My seeds are out of the fridge only long enough to sow the ones I'm planting.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
18 hours out of the deep freeze and 4 of 6 have already popped. Tahoe MacRiddle coming soon.
Awesome!

For the record, I've had seeds kept in a pill bottle with a silica packet from something (lots of products come with them) to keep moisture out. I've kept seeds for 10+ years this way, and have successfully germinated them. Perhaps the freezer would be a viable option, as well, so long as you can keep the moisture out. I've stored pollen in the freezer with a few grains of rice added, and it was still viable after about 3 years of storage.

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Deep freeze can be detrimental in House freezers, i have kept seeds in refrigerator (the super cold session (3 to 5 degrees Celsius), for 10+ years still with 80% germination rate.

Store the seeds in little containers inside another big container full of rice or silica packs.
Only open and remove from the refrigerator when you want to germinate them to avoid moisture condensation inside the container.

Proper deep freeze would be liquid nitrogen and etc and the seeds could be viable for thousands of years tho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom