How Do These Plants Look?

• Thread starter The Weave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

The Weave

Week 3 into flower using 1 400w and 1 600w hps. Hydro ph is at 5.5 using R/O soft as my nutes. Strain is royal cookies, humidity hovers around 60-70%, room temp79-89.f. The 2 blueberry plants in soil just started to curl downwards. I water the soil plants with water ph'd to 5.5, I also use some fox farm nutes for the soil plants. Any tips or advice from you experienced guys? Btw, I just changed my bucket tonight ph was way low,like 3.3 low, my water level was way too low, could that drop ph like that?
How do these plants look
How do these plants look 2
How do these plants look 3
How do these plants look 4
How do these plants look 5
How do these plants look
How do these plants look

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
They dont look good, the ones in the soil i mean. Water less, let it dry between waterings and ph it to 6.8 not 5.5. It is hard to tell from the pic but if they are very dark green back off with nitrogen.

S

Shawnery

I was going to say there was an excess of Nitrogen on the dark green with clawing. I thought it looked pretty bad personally but I'm still learning. The other plants with the thinner leaves look like general excess of nutrients. You can definitely see some curling up and burnt tips.

I've also been doing a little research on room temps suggested for different lighting devices. For hps I believe you should be about 10 degrees cooler. This alone could be causing your burning issues.

Check out this chart and I'd say you should be around 75 day time temps with the same humidity if in veg but you might get pwm running that in flower. This should slow down the absorption of the nutrients and water and might help on it's own.

Sorry if I went on, I tend to do that, remember I'm pretty new so take it for what worth!

EDIT: the perfect zone is the orange but be careful in flower with humidity that high

Vapor pressure deficit relative humidity chart small
Last edited:
T

The Weave

Pots were pretty light today, so I watered them each with around half gal. I think I hit them with FF tiger bloom 2 days ago. I'll get another bucket to mix the water to 6.8. I am using ro/di water also.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Pots were pretty light today, so I watered them each with around half gal. I think I hit them with FF tiger bloom 2 days ago. I'll get another bucket to mix the water to 6.8. I am using ro/di water also.
Then high temps is your problem as @Shawnery suggested and nitrogen excess, also ph too.

T

The Weave

I run my lights in cool tubes that are vented out the area, could 1000watts total be too much light/heat? Should I just try turning the 600 on, it would cut down light/heat. The harvest I had with the 400w 2 years ago looked better than the last one with both lights. I'm gonna cut the 400 off now and mix up some more water, do yall think I should flush it with 6.8?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I run my lights in cool tubes that are vented out the area, could 1000watts total be too much light/heat? Should I just try turning the 600 on, it would cut down light/heat. The harvest I had with the 400w 2 years ago looked better than the last one with both lights. I'm gonna cut the 400 off now and mix up some more water, do yall think I should flush it with 6.8?
You have to get that temps down imo (either by turning off a light or pulling in cold air) and a flush wouldn’t hurt (6.8 ph). Then let it dry and maybe start feeding quarter strength bloom nutes at 6.8 ph. From the looks of it, those blueberries have all the nitrogen they will ever need.
I have tried blueberry in 2 different occasions but both times lost them to root rot due to laziness, but as i remember people suggest feeding less than normal with blueberries.

T

The Weave

I will post a pic of my old blue berry nugs I still have. I turned the 400w off and im going to see how far the temp drops. Thanks again to you guys, I am worried more about the hydro plant but it appears the soil plants are the worse,Lol. I will rig up a better fresh air setup tomorrow

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't agree with N toxicity as some have stated. At least yet. Yes I see your fat indie leaves are curling down, but N tox has a more pronounced downturn at the very tip. The leaves from here look thirsty. Or your vpd is out of wack for your environment heres a classic shot of N tox leaves and your leaves will be a dark green almost blueish looking.

See how dark these leaves are. Since you don't have any way right now of knowing if your on your way to N tox or if simply the plant was thirsty or just waking up shortly after lights on, pay attention to how it reacts after you watered it. You might want to back off on your N inputs as well go back by 50% or more for a bit.

Also BB strains aren't real nute whores and with good soil will produce rather well. Keep your Ph in soil from 6.2 -6.6 I like to let my Ph drift so to better cover the various levels of nute uptake at different Ph levels. Gets more balanced nutrition to the root zone and plant.

At the temps your running as other said it would be nice if you could get the temps lower. But you can still grow good erb with higher than optimal temps. Pants thrive in higher temps with C02 enrichment..

How close are your HIDS to the canopy? Even tho your ambient temps in the surrounding air are where they are at, you have to account for distance to the canopy as there is also IR coming from your bulbs and they can cause heat stress if your lights are too close. The BB looks to be either thirsty, too hot, or your vpd parameters are off for you enviroment

Last edited:
S

Shawnery

His Vpd is pretty far out if at the max extremes he's running 89 temp and 60 humidity. At 79 and 70 you'd be right on the money but otherwise you're pretty far off.

Which in the end would force your plants to consume to much water and nutes. Eventually running you dry much quicker then you would suspect.

T

The Weave

Temp is sitting at 77f and 69rh right now as I type. I will check the min/max tomorrow morning. Also flushed the 2 soil pots with a gallon each of straight 6.7 ro water. They looked better when I went to flush them, but still flushed anyways. How often do you guys water? These are small soil pots, I think 2 gallons.i planted them 2 weeks after the hydro plant just in case the hydro failed.

patchgrower

patchgrower

just my two cents worth, but have been growing blueberry for a long time, and find it very nute sensitive compared to other strains.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
just my two cents worth, but have been growing blueberry for a long time, and find it very nute sensitive compared to other strains.
She doesn't like to be pushed too hard. :D I have found the same to be true she thrives with lower bottled nute levels but with good soil.

T

The Weave

Thanks for the help fellas, they are looking better. Nitrogen still has some leaf tips clawing, but over all look better. I turned the 400w off. These girls are week 3 into flower, the royal cookies got frosty 2 days ago.
0905181930a
0905181931c
0905181931c

0905181931e
0905181931g
Top Bottom