How do ya trim a SCROG under the net?

• Thread starter GuySmiley
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GuySmiley

GuySmiley

In my quest for a flatter, more even canopy, I'm considering a SCROG for my next grow. I'm just not sure how one would trim under the net for the growth under the net.
Last grow I lollipoped my plants to avoid all annoying-to-me popcorn buds in the lower half of the plant. I hate trimming them and the resources they used could have gone to produce bigger, fatter buds higher up. I'm thinking that a SCROGged canopy blacks out most of the light and keeps much from developing under there, but there's still some going to develop and I don't want that to take away from the buds on top.

Say I make my SCROG is 5'x7'...... How'my gonna trim the lower clutter in the middle? I could split it into (2) 2.5'x7' strips to provide easier access to the interiors, but then I'm sacrificing my area of green.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

In my quest for a flatter, more even canopy, I'm considering a SCROG for my next grow. I'm just not sure how one would trim under the net for the growth under the net.
Last grow I lollipoped my plants to avoid all annoying-to-me popcorn buds in the lower half of the plant. I hate trimming them and the resources they used could have gone to produce bigger, fatter buds higher up. I'm thinking that a SCROGged canopy blacks out most of the light and keeps much from developing under there, but there's still some going to develop and I don't want that to take away from the buds on top.

Say I make my SCROG is 5'x7'...... How'my gonna trim the lower clutter in the middle? I could split it into (2) 2.5'x7' strips to provide easier access to the interiors, but then I'm sacrificing my area of green.
Take this with a grain of salt as ive only done 1 scrog, and pretty sure i fucked it up.

I took everything that wasnt at or above the net off when she was done stretching. Opened up the top of the canopy quite a bit for added airflow and it produced quite well. 18oz on my first and only 3x3 scrog, strain was Zookies.

onTheGreenMountain

onTheGreenMountain

Everything below the net should be totally trimmed. The canopy will shade it out anyway.

As for reaching it.. it will be early enough in the grow that you should be able to Gumby arm around without any issues. Once its trimmed off its gone. I haven't had to trim under the net in a while bc it was all trimmed off a long time ago

edit: I have a harder time reaching across the top to defoliate than I do trimming underneath

20230113 095402

Trixie

Trixie

Its a lot of work using scrog in a large grow. If you're in large containers you don't need to scrog your plants. Using a 5x7 area would give you plenty of room for massive buds without using a trellis. Using one or two-gallon containers would benefit but 3 to 5-gallon pots are not really necessary. I just use wooden stakes when my buds get as big as my fist. Here's a 5x5 using six 5-gallon growing containers.
IMG 2372

IMG 2303

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Its a lot of work using scrog in a large grow. If you're in large containers you don't need to scrog your plants. Using a 5x7 area would give you plenty of room for massive buds without using a trellis. Using one or two-gallon containers would benefit but 3 to 5-gallon pots are not really necessary. I just use wooden stakes when my buds get as big as my fist. Here's a 5x5 using six 5-gallon growing containers.
View attachment 1319955
View attachment 1319954
Im using 5 gallon fabric pots and 14-in plastic saucers under them. Sounds like I need to get better at plant shaping via trimming.

This grow was my 2nd failed attempt at fimming. I've trimmed my girls to have a fairly flat canopy except for the center colas that are getting longer despite my fim attempt. Maybe I should just top em a couple times instead.

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Im using 5 gallon fabric pots and 14-in plastic saucers under them. Sounds like I need to get better at plant shaping via trimming.

This grow was my 2nd failed attempt at fimming. I've trimmed my girls to have a fairly flat canopy except for the center colas that are getting longer despite my fim attempt. Maybe I should just top em a couple times instead.

I tie my plants down and keep pulling the branches outward. I'll even super-crop to shape my canopy. Most of the shaping and lollipopping has been done prior to me putting them under the net. I'm not sure exactly how your grow is arranged but in my situation its pretty easy. My plants are in a 4 x 8 tent and I can approach the tent from 3 sides. I run my plants 4 in one row and then 4 in a row behind them. Since I've located my tent where I can care for the plants both from the front and from the back, its as easy as pie. I sit on a mechanics stool and when I'm done tending one, I roll down to the next one. When I'm done with one side, I roll around to the other and do it all over again. If you can't easily get to each plant, it gets difficult.

Top Bottom