How do you avoid sriping off rooting hormone?

• Thread starter hydrodreams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hydrodreams

I have made thousands of clones already and I still didn't find a good answer on how to avoid striping off the rooting hormone while inserting the cut. I think it's aknowledged widely that the cut should have a firm hold in the plug after inserting the it....But this contradicts the desire to keep the hormone on the stem. What i am describing refers the most to rooting powder but also to gels.

I work with eazy plugs peat moss plugs and don't wanna get away from it.

How do you guys deal with this?

One person that I know told me that somebody he knows who does thousands a week dissolves a certain ammount of rooting hormone in the water an drenches the whole trays and then just inserts the cuts.....

And another question: Are there many people who believe that you can put too much rooting hormone on the stem? In videos of big cannabis companies (Jungle Boyz, Stilezy etc) I often see them diping the cut deep into the rooting gel so that there really is a lot of it on the stem.....And then you hear other people saying that you should use a brush and only apply a thin layer....

I know all methods work for some people.....But I just like to find out the safest of them that work for the most people.....

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

In my experience, the amount of rooting gel or powder applied is irrelevant. The cut will take what it needs to root and no more.

When I worked at Jungle Boys I showed them a different technique to alleviate the issue you mentioned and they adopted it for all their cloning.

Since they use Clonex Gel, I had them take the rockwool cubes and insert them into the tray. Fill a small syringe with clonex gel and insert enough into each hole to not completely fill it but get enough in there so that there would be contact with the cut. Insert the cut and you will be inserting it into a pool of rooting gel. Powder is a little more difficult since it's harder to direct into the hole but you can use a small straw to grab enough to get into the hole and then you insert the cut the same as the gel.

I used to open the cube hole with a chopstick and then insert the cut with the gel or powder on it. I would then squeeze the cube to seal off the hole around the stem but inserting the hormone into the hole was easier and guaranteed that there would be plenty of solution for the cut to take from and root. You still should squeeze the cube to seal the hole along with the length of the cut so that you have contact with the surface of the cube and no air pocket.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah i just drop some powder into the hole and cut clones, dip in water and then powder then into the hole. After i do as you and push the media tight to the stem.

never had an issue until i used tapid rooters with small clones… in that case i had to flip them and poke my own hole so it would be tight to the stem… which is more crucial than using rooting hormone

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yeah i just drop some powder into the hole and cut clones, dip in water and then powder then into the hole. After i do as you and push the media tight to the stem.

never had an issue until i used tapid rooters with small clones… in that case i had to flip them and poke my own hole so it would be tight to the stem… which is more crucial than using rooting hormone
Yes. The biggest reason for failed propagation is either there was an air pocket or light got into the hole. Roots hate light.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes. The biggest reason for failed propagation is either there was an air pocket or light got into the hole. Roots hate light.
Yeah they literally stop and grow the other direction or abort… especially the blue spectrum they run like its fire… i have often thought of trying to exploit this phenomenon but have yet to do anything to try… maybe once i move ill have more space and with a license i can have a lot more plants to experiment with

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yeah they literally stop and grow the other direction or abort… especially the blue spectrum they run like its fire… i have often thought of trying to exploit this phenomenon but have yet to do anything to try… maybe once i move ill have more space and with a license i can have a lot more plants to experiment with
Is there anywhere in the light spectrum that they like and is beneficial? I've never heard of one but you never know!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah they literally stop and grow the other direction or abort… especially the blue spectrum they run like its fire… i have often thought if trying to exploit this phenomenon but have yet to do anything to try… maybe once i move ill have more space and with a license i can have a lot more plants to experiment with
Is there anywhere in the light spectrum that they like and is beneficial? I've never heard of one but you never know!
its been so long since i read the studies on it id have to revisit them to give any sort of accurate information but there are studies done on it

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Yeah they literally stop and grow the other direction or abort… especially the blue spectrum they run like its fire… i have often thought if trying to exploit this phenomenon but have yet to do anything to try… maybe once i move ill have more space and with a license i can have a lot more plants to experiment with

its been so long since i read the studies on it id have to revisit them to give any sort of accurate information but there are studies done on it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Havent read this one i dont think… ill try to fond the study of blue light but it may be in here… not sure.

H

hydrodreams

Thanks a lot for the interesting answers. The use of a syringe is not that farfetched. There even is a rooting hormone called "root it" with a cone shaped cup for that purpose. And regarding a tight hold I also start to think why it seems more suitable to us plugs that have a certein height....You can just insert it deeper and therefore you have more contact to the stem...
............ You still should squeeze the cube to seal the hole along with the length of the cut so that you have contact with the surface of the cube and no air pocket.

.......After i do as you and push the media tight to the stem.........

This practice altough seems a bit questionable to me since I imagine that the media will always "bounce" back after squeezing, isn't it (maybe not so much in rockwool)?

H

hydrodreams

If I may add another question: Does anyone know, if the use of rooting hormone products with higher contents of IBA and NAA than products like clonex and most others who are in the range of like 0.1%-0.3% will harm the cuts in any way? I just ordered Hormex powder with a content of 1.6% after I saw quite a few people using it on reddit...Some of them with crazy explosive rooting.....

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I have made thousands of clones already and I still didn't find a good answer on how to avoid striping off the rooting hormone while inserting the cut. I think it's aknowledged widely that the cut should have a firm hold in the plug after inserting the it....But this contradicts the desire to keep the hormone on the stem. What i am describing refers the most to rooting powder but also to gels.

I work with eazy plugs peat moss plugs and don't wanna get away from it.

How do you guys deal with this?

One person that I know told me that somebody he knows who does thousands a week dissolves a certain ammount of rooting hormone in the water an drenches the whole trays and then just inserts the cuts.....

And another question: Are there many people who believe that you can put too much rooting hormone on the stem? In videos of big cannabis companies (Jungle Boyz, Stilezy etc) I often see them diping the cut deep into the rooting gel so that there really is a lot of it on the stem.....And then you hear other people saying that you should use a brush and only apply a thin layer....

I know all methods work for some people.....But I just like to find out the safest of them that work for the most people.....
I use gel, cover the stem all the way up to the first set if it's a small clone,then insert and put more gel around stem,it keeps the pathogens away,if rockwool,I put gel in hole as well, you can also pull them out and regel and the spot will already have gel so you're pushing it in. When you take your clones cut the stem under water,then gently pat them dry and then dip them,i dunk the leaves and all in water i have also used dipped them in powder then gel,never dip clones directly in the container,pour some in a separate container. Try Olivia's gel,it sticks...whatever it takes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom