How do you control a heater and exaust fan in your tent? Which controller?

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

I am looking for new options for my tents climate controller because the new "smart" controller from BN-Link won't control as well as the old 'dumb' model.
I am currently using the original BN-Link climate controller linked to here, and the instruction manual for it here. I also just returned one of their newest 'smart' climate controller because they changed the range on the Hd and Cd settings to a minimum of .5*F in the software. The original 'dumb' model allows those setting to be set down to .1*F. So the new model has a 1.0*F dead zone where neither the heater nor the exaust fan will be running. We all know, having stale, humid air inside a grow tent is creating an enviroment to grow mold, powdery mildew and other nasties.
My tents are in my garage and winter temps in there get down to around 50*, so the tents each have a 600w space heater plugged into the 'heater' side of the controller. Works great for holding a 70.0* night time temp in the tent while at the same time cycling back and forth between heat and cooling (exaust fan) to cycle fresh air through the tent from the garage and exaust into my attic.

I have a feeling that the original model BF-LINK is on it's way out. So if you would like to get and setup one of there controllers that can maintain a steady temp inside your tent while regularly exausting the air, here are the setting you'll need from the instruction manual and how to get to them.
Setting for running the BN-Link for getting it to always have on the heater or cooling power receptical is as follows.
  1. press the SET and CF/ST buttons together to enter the Advanced Settings
  2. make sure your C or F setting is on F
  3. change the ST setting from 10 to 01 with the down button and save by pressing the Power button
  4. Press and hold SET to enter the settings and scroll to the Hd setting and set it to 0.1*F
  5. scroll to the Cd setting and set it to 0.1*F
  6. Scroll to the SV setting and set it to any number that is NOT available on the PV. Here is a short list of the temps that the PV can not hit. Thus it will never stop toggling back and forth, heater, exaust, heater, exaust, as long as the intake air is cool enough and in December, it's cool enough. 65.0*F, 66.1*, 67.0*, 68.2*, 69.1*, 70.0*, 71.1* and on up the line with an additional four to five, .1* setting between each degree one can use.
  7. Leave all other setting in default and press the Power button to save and exit Settings.
This happens, as best I can tell, because the original software setting were done in Celsius and then a Fahrenheit scale was overlayed onto the Celsius scale. That would explain why there is no actual temp probe value (PV) for those specific decimal temps while in it is in the Fahrenheit scale. It is also what allows for the constant toggling between heater and exaust and keept the air inside the tent from becoming wet and stale.
Here, I took a time lapse video of the controller at work. The real time is about 2 1/2 minutes. Please note the top numbers as they move up and down. Notice the decimal numbers that are missing? If you set one of the missing numbers as the target (SV) then the temp probe (PV) can never quite hit the target.
Almost PERFECT for my use and I'm guessing there are more of us with this problem of cold temps, as well as other solution. Please post you solution(s) or any question on my setup.

How do you control a heater and exaust fan in your tent which controller

I

IamN2pot

Either Inkbird or ac infinity
Do they have a controller that will always keep either the heater or the exaust fan running, like that one? I have the AC Infinity Controller 67 and according to AC Infinity, neither it not the 69 can do that.
I'm also in communication with Inkbird to see if they have a controller that will do that and thought it would also be good to ask the community.

Last edited:
freezeland2

freezeland2

Do they have a controller that will always keep either the heater or the exaust fan running, like that one? I have the AC Infinity Controller 67 and according to AC Infinity, neither it not the 69 can do that.
I'm also in communication with Inkbird to see if they have a controller that will do that and thought it would also be good to ask the community.
The 69 has four ports. You can set them each to auto which requires you to set the minimum off and max on settings as your auto parameters, you can also set it run in on and set the parameter. It will stay on at that setting, you can set to off so it never comes on, or you can set it on a schedule. The 69 is very versatile.

Ac infinity also has this that should also work. https://acinfinity.com/hydroponics-...is-control-plug-for-outlet-powered-equipment/

I

IamN2pot

The 69 has four ports. You can set them each to auto which requires you to set the minimum off and max on settings as your auto parameters, you can also set it run in on and set the parameter. It will stay on at that setting, you can set to off so it never comes on, or you can set it on a schedule. The 69 is very versatile.

Ac infinity also has this that should also work. https://acinfinity.com/hydroponics-...is-control-plug-for-outlet-powered-equipment/
šŸ˜² Do "great minds think alike"? That 'smart outlet' is exactly what I thought was the answer. So I called and ask them about running the heater in tandem with the Cloudline T6 and it's 69 Controller with that outlet for a heater and was told "that won't work". just sayin what I was told by AC Infinity phone support. That said, it wouldn't be the first time someone in sales/support was mis-informed or just didn't know. @ACINFINITYINC are you reading this. Will the smart outlet work with the 69 controller to keep either the heater or exaust fan on 24/7?

Nesta028

Nesta028

I donā€™t know anything about the smart outlet, but I know with my AC Infinity 69 pro Wi-Fi controller, I set the fan (AC S8) to run speed 3 in ā€œoffā€ mode. So while itā€™s in the ā€œoffā€ mode, it actually is still running just at a lower rate of speed. I have to keep my fan running to keep odor controlled as Iā€™m pulling it through the carbon filter.

Last edited:
freezeland2

freezeland2

šŸ˜² Do "great minds think alike"? That 'smart outlet' is exactly what I thought was the answer. So I called and ask them about running the heater in tandem with the Cloudline T6 and it's 69 Controller with that outlet for a heater and was told "that won't work". just sayin what I was told by AC Infinity phone support. That said, it wouldn't be the first time someone in sales/support was mis-informed or just didn't know. @ACINFINITYINC are you reading this. Will the smart outlet work with the 69 controller to keep either the heater or exaust fan on 24/7?
I donā€™t think who you spoke to understands the question.

Top Bottom