How Do You Guys Save Your Seeds???

• Thread starter lazarus718
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lazarus718

lazarus718

I want to know how you guys save your seeds? Methods, procedures, scientific discoveries....where and how do you stash 'em and why.
:party0023:

G

Green Supreme

I keep mine in a thermos in the fridge crisper drawer. Peace GS

F

fondiz

I got all mine in a tite-vac container with the desiccant packs you find in shoes and electronics, sitting in the fridge vegetable drawer.

lazarus718

lazarus718

I got all mine in a tite-vac container with the desiccant packs you find in shoes and electronics, sitting in the fridge vegetable drawer.

This is one of the reasons I ask...both you and GS keep yours in the fridge which is exactly where I keep mine...but I did have one of my buddies tell me that they get too moist in there and that I am actually causing them to degrade faster. Mine are in a tupperware container inside their original packs minus the randoms that are in there in the container inside zip locks. I understand that light and moisture are my enemies, would they be better off in a cool sock drawer or something???

G

Green Supreme

Nah, in summer a drawer can get above 100 degrees in hot regions, just plain not good for preserving things. Good luck. Peace GS

johnursery

johnursery

in envelopes in a gallon bag with dessicant packs and dry rice in a fridge crisper

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Little glass jars filled with rice, then into the fridge.

F

fondiz

as long as you keep it in fridge and dont keep taking it out to look at what you got you'll be fine. I deal with the moisture with desiccant packs. dont know if it works but its for my piece of mind. I keep the beans i am gonna pop in the next yr in a separate container.

lazarus718

lazarus718

in envelopes in a gallon bag with dessicant packs and dry rice in a fridge crisper
Nice bro, never thought about tossing some dry rice in with them...one of my father's buddies dropped his cell in the lake a while back and I remember him telling us how his wife put the phone into a ziplock with some rice and it totally sucked all the moisture back out of it...damn thing works now.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Little glass jars filled with rice, then into the fridge.

Right on Guerilla...now we have two farmers verifying that rice in the jar works and everyone seems to be going with the crisper drawer as the ideal locale.

:rock

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Mine go in the safe

Into the safe with silica packs for me

mal

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
as long as you keep it in fridge and dont keep taking it out to look at what you got you'll be fine. I deal with the moisture with desiccant packs. dont know if it works but its for my piece of mind. I keep the beans i am gonna pop in the next yr in a separate container.
Yes, dessicant packs WORK. If you're going to store in the fridge, then definitely use them, they work far better than rice does for keeping excess moisture from developing inside whatever packaging they're in.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Yes, dessicant packs WORK. If you're going to store in the fridge, then definitely use them, they work far better than rice does for keeping excess moisture from developing inside whatever packaging they're in.

Gotta start saving those things...thanks Maiden

Z

zombywolf

I dont see where dessicant packs, rice, ect are necessary for long term fridge storage. The most important thing is fridge storage. So far, I have kept strains alive for over 14 years by simply putting them in sandwich baggies and refrigerating them. No problems with moisture or anything. Germ is fine.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've had a container of seeds go moldy on me when a fridge went on the fritz. I feel that had I had something in there to absorb the moisture then it may have allowed me some time to discover the problem with the fridge and do something with the seeds so no moisture built up. I used the container to prevent them from being crushed.

Blaze

Blaze

Definitely always use something to absorb the moisture. In theory it shouldn't be needed, but theory and reality don't always correlate. Fridges are humid environments, it is better to be safe than sorry.

I use either paper packets or sandwich bags inside a freezer bag with a little bit of rice placed in a fridge. Works well so far. The main thing for seed preservation is to keep them dry, cool (but not frozen) and dark.

homebrew420

homebrew420

In small baggies in a mason jar in the fridge. Pollen in the freezer in envelopes with desiccant packs inside ziplocks. Hope the pollen store well. Plan on using most of stored stuff in the next month.

Latest posts

Top Bottom