How do YOU harvest?

• Thread starter CelticEBE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

How do you harvest?

• Wet trim of fans only, hang to dry and then trim dry sugar leaves.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • Trim everything at once and then dry.

Votes: 60 60.6%
  • I use a trimming machine!

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters
MarijuanaBaybee

MarijuanaBaybee

I leave everything on til dry then trim then I leave out for a cple more days then jar for a month! Dry trimming is more of a pain but that's the way I prefer..

B

brer

I was taught that when you take things down that you should remove fans and cut things down so that you can hang them on hangers to dry. That leaving the sugar leaves on would protect the trichs. After 5 days you would then do a dry trim and then cure things in turkey bags or glass jars.

:confused0059:amma a little confused as to top option:pizza:pizza:pizza
It comes down to alot of work when you think about it .
Agree , you got it , a couple of cold beer's a few friend's and have a trim party ..
~
Pulling of all big fan leaf i bin them ..
Cutting all branch of stem i trim that way and hang for appropriate period .
I keep all sugar trim for medibles dry it also and store up .
It's never enough i mean i don't get maSSiv harvest's .

1 trim scissors
S

Sea Of Green

31 votes

16 dry trim 51.63%

15 wet trim 48.39%

0 trimming machine 0%

I wonder how many of the 252 non-voting viewers use trimming machines? My guess is they wouldn't be willing to admit to it, even if they do. :giggle

B

brer

31 votes

16 dry trim 51.63%

15 wet trim 48.39%

0 trimming machine 0%

I wonder how many of the 252 non-voting viewers use trimming machines? My guess is they wouldn't be willing to admit to it, even if they do. :giggle

machines trimmers look cool , i tried making one FAIL

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Here is what my plants end up looking like when I trim.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxxtpfWHaR4[/YOUTUBE]
I use a Spin pro trimmer when I have a gang of outdoor bud to do. Outdoor tends to be a bit leafier too. I usually just bring a plant into the trim room, and cut large sections off. I'll hang these sections in the room and start taking the fans off. While removing the fans I have them hanging upside down by hemp twine. I then distribute the branches to the trimmer(s).This is done so that the plant isn't all limp and wilted while trying to trim wet. I get all the bud trimmed and hang it in a collapsible drying rack/screen. Making sure to rotate the buds in order to not get flat spots. The bag appeal doesn't matter to me, as I'm not selling the buds. I usually end up doing BHO runs after the dry and cure anyway. Why smoke plant matter? It's not like it gets you high lol

Cheers,
Crom

T

treehugger

If you have excellent vision try trimming a dry branch in a ray of sunlight, with every snip and pop of stem you can watch the shock eject showers of hundreds of gland heads into the air. I don't see that with wet-trimming, which is why i prefer that method, despite it's pitfalls.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
If you have excellent vision try trimming a dry branch in a ray of sunlight, with every snip and pop of stem you can watch the shock eject showers of hundreds of gland heads into the air. I don't see that with wet-trimming, which is why i prefer that method, despite it's pitfalls.

word

though I totally get doing it dry if its outdoor grown - if you have big plants theres no way you can wet trim it all before it would be dry anyway

I would de-fan it first though

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I like dry trimming better than wet trimming. Not as big of a rush. If I want to take a nap, order a pizza or go for a swim I can with out worries that I didnt get everything finished today.

Hack it into main branches, get some/most of the fan leaves, hang it. Trim it some other day.

Im with cort ^^^That's pretty much my scenario also^^^

Triming take me awhile (just me and the wife) So most of mine drys before I get around to triming it...But I do start triming some of it wet.

I really haven't noticed a difference...but im new

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
This is why folks trim as they harvest. Cut a branch, trim it, hang it, repeat.

I like dry trimming better than wet trimming. Not as big of a rush. If I want to take a nap, order a pizza or go for a swim I can with out worries that I didnt get everything finished today.

Hack it into main branches, get some/most of the fan leaves, hang it. Trim it some other day.
I am one person who's just over 5' tall, with a seriously bad back (Uncle Sam says I'm not disabled, though). I will grow old doing it that way with girls like these. I do it the way I do it for several very good reasons. I've also learned from some of the true old-timers who were caring enough and kind enough to share their hard-earned tips with me. I have never once been steered wrong by any of them, never once.

I also have a black laquered table that I trim over. I can see every bit of kief that is lost. The amount lost is negligible and if you loupe my product you'll see that I speak the truth.

Doing things my way means that I don't blow my whole wad right when everyone else is out wad-blowing, too. Won't say anything more on that except that it's good to be able to hold one's water, especially at this time of year.

These photos show how I hang the whole plant in our basement. No, the insulation doesn't come apart and 'drip' onto the buds (never seen a shred of it when looking under magnification). The floor that's installed allows us 8' floor-to-ceiling, the OD girls won't fit, so I have to hang them over the unfinished portion of the basement. That means they're around 10', which is plenty good for me, almost too much because I always need help handling them.

Once they're dry, they get 'de-boned'. By that I mean that I start breaking the branches down. From there they go into paper bags, and the only fan leaves I remove are those that fall off on their own (based on advice from the aforementioned old-timers). They spend a month in the bag minimum, which I sample as they cure, and then are trimmed as needed.

(Middle photo shows to the right that batch of OD perlite hempy tub girls who were my first experience with RAs. Every one of them ended up being taken out back and burned in the brush pile, they weren't fit for consumption.)

MPxGK n LongbottomLeaf
PA250050
CRW 7814 1200
soserthc1

soserthc1

my harvest style

48 hrs total darkness - trim everything down - tape stems to tomato cage and put in well vent area (still in dark) AND impatiently wait till dry - sample after a few days - then cure for about a week to two , thats what i do ...... but always open to suggestions - knowledge is power and ill take all the power i can get. peace soserthceeds1

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Nice hangout there sea!

I do all three types of trimming. I hang and dry trim. I trim wet. I trim with a trimming machine. Yes, I am the devil. My take: dry trim is no better than wet trim quality wise. It is easier to stretch out the trimming process with dry trimming though. I love my trim pro rotor. I work 50 hours a week, then I work at home in the garden. Trimming up pounds when you are single handed or one helper is a real both by hand. All my small nugs go through the machine. Head stash nugs are much bigger, so I just give em the ol hand job. If I had to pick just one I pick wet hand trim. But for me, I find that all three together gets the job done with my lifestyle. To each their own I always say....

-TF

MARTA

MARTA

I dry trim over a large piece of glass...

The few heads that do end up on the glass are few and far between...

not enough to even top off a bowl after trimming 16-24oz's

You must have the muscle control and manual dexterity of a rhinoceros with cerebral palsy.

Maybe you have only dry trimmed when the product is already too dry.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, if it's too dry then yes, the trichs shed off like a bad case of dandruff. That's the thing about that basement area, it's sort of like a humidor in that it stays more humid than any enclosed space. If I could have my druthers I'd have something like a giant drying barn that I could have better control of parameters in, RH, temps, and air movement. Then it would be almost fool-proof.

Hhhhmmm.....
Nice hangout there sea!

I do all three types of trimming. I hang and dry trim. I trim wet. I trim with a trimming machine. Yes, I am the devil. My take: dry trim is no better than wet trim quality wise. It is easier to stretch out the trimming process with dry trimming though. I love my trim pro rotor. I work 50 hours a week, then I work at home in the garden. Trimming up pounds when you are single handed or one helper is a real both by hand. All my small nugs go through the machine. Head stash nugs are much bigger, so I just give em the ol hand job. If I had to pick just one I pick wet hand trim. But for me, I find that all three together gets the job done with my lifestyle. To each their own I always say....

-TF
Gah! You sold your soul..!!! :sad0104: Dr. Parnassus-stylee. :big_boss:

As you can see by the burrito-dog, it gets COLD down there. It will be much more to my liking once we can get the floored area finished off to the point that it will stay a little warmer.

You evil, evil man. You gonna try and tell you have one of those things called a job?

diamond2.0

diamond2.0

i pull fans, trim closely wet and toss close to bud sugar leaf in garbage can. Then i cut the stem hang them till stem snaps then start curing and burping for a couple more weeks easily usaully................

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

treehugger....THANK YOU! This is what I was looking for. Having done dry trim, when I sat in on this most recent trim party, I noticed that my hands weren't nearly as sticky as when I trim. It wasn't the bud, it was frosty as hell. I was looking for some kind of logical reason and I think you pretty much summed it up.

T

treehugger

I dry trim over a large piece of glass...

The few heads that do end up on the glass are few and far between...

not enough to even top off a bowl after trimming 16-24oz's

You must have the muscle control and manual dexterity of a rhinoceros with cerebral palsy.

Maybe you have only dry trimmed when the product is already too dry.

Hmmm, not so much for you, because you demonstrate the mental dexterity of a most decidedly average pothead, but for posterity's sake - individual gland heads are small enough to float in the air. They're not going to drop (like that rock between your ears) onto the glass...

MARTA

MARTA

Hmmm, not so much for you, because you demonstrate the mental dexterity of a most decidedly average pothead, but for posterity's sake - individual gland heads are small enough to float in the air. They're not going to drop (like that rock between your ears) onto the glass...

Oops...

Forgot to use the sarcasm font.

Sorry, if I hurt your feelings. :hi

That wasn't my intention.

The comparison was used only to illustrate how rough you must be handling your flowers to have the heads flying all about.

I trim under a spotlight positioned at an angle for high visibilty.

There's none floating in the air over here, gravity is in full effect.

You're doing it wrong.

Practice more, and you will get better at it, I promise.

P.S. If they're not going to drop, why are there trim boxes with screens and glass for collecting the heads...

That have been in use and for sale for over 25 years.

M

mrdizzle

Im with TF

I started off wet trimming, then I moved to dry trimming, to be honest, a dry trim plants kinda vine rippen and really do put out much more crystals.

I started dry trimming so I could flip my room right away, and dry in a tent with a scubber, but all in all I thought it was easier and stuff looked better

now a days I use a machine, which for my black berries doesnt effect the finished quality, but it certainly does on other strains.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@treehugger and MARTA

PLAY NICE FUCKERS! Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I can actually see BOTH of your points.

Everyone has there own ways of doing things, and whatever works best for them is what is best for that person. I wanted to know WHY people did things the way they did. Not have this turn into some pissing contest over who is right or who is wrong.

@dizzle Once I get settled into the next location I'm totally getting a rotor. I don't care what kind of shit people talk about trimmers. I used a spin-pro last year on my outdoor and granted it wasn't as good as hand trimming....it got the job done QUICK and I didn't need a big crew to take things down.

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

This poll doesn't show an option for how I do things. Take the whole plant, hang her upside down with everything on, fans and everything and let her dry that way.

Hehheh, and I fucking hate wet trimming. Not to mention that after a few hours all the plants are limp anyway. It seems more appropriate for small grows, where you won't be getting a third of the way through to discover that trimming limp plants is more difficult than dry trimming.

I've tried it both ways, wet trimming is messier for me. I'm not going to dick around breaking it up into little bitty pieces. They only get deboned enough so that I can get the product into paper bags for curing, which is a month minimum.

id have to disagree with this. wet trimming is NOT more appropriate for small grows. Trying to clean up buds that have nothin but stuck leaves on them is not the way to go, not only because of your trichomes casually floating away, or taking of leaves that leave the start of pm on your buds.bottom line taking almost 2 or three times as long as wet trimming and running into further problems, pm, quality, smell, dryness, and just f in yourself over.

Did you notice any pm on the buds you had hanging in your barn? btw
maybe a little insulation or the dirt thats about 2 ft from your buds. Doesnt look like the way to trim buds dry even if you wanted to.Ive done it your way to and it does not amount to any less of work than wet trimming, just more.

I mainly disagree with you about wet trimming seeming more approppriate for a small time grow. I would never let 10 lbs of untrimmed drying plants wait till its done and try to clean it all up and bag it up all in one day. And if i dont finish the work i have the stress knowing my buds are going to be crisp dry the next day?

Id rather hire workers to finish all the work in one day so i can come back to dry ready buds to be bagged up, rather than rushing a10 lb job in a day, thats fuckin crazy talk

I dont think a big timer would EVER put themselves in that position, with so much to sacrifice.

Top Bottom