How do you isolate males you want to keep?

• Thread starter nithisam
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nithisam

I have a legal MMJ garden in Colorado, I just received in some GrapeGod seeds from Green Life Seed company. Everything else I have in my garden is a female clone, I know growing from seed I will get some males. Ordinarily I would just pull the males and dispose of them before they mature. In this case, I want to keep a male and selective pollinate some of the other strains I have but I don't want to pollinate them all. Just singular plants here and there.

Do any of you have any tried and true methods for isolating a male so I can grow it to maturity without pollinating everything I have in my grow basement? I thought about going to get a separate small growing tent just for the male I keep but wasn't sure if that would really keep the pollen form getting into the other tents.

I am growing in two tents today. One a vegetative tent with a 600 watt MH and the other a flowering tent with 2 1000 watt HPS lamps. Any ideas would be appreciated.

S

satyr

It all depends of your ventilation and suction from your male tent. If you can create some negative pressure in the tent and vent the air outside, sucking it not pushing it then it is possible. Depending on your intake you may get a few unwanted seeds elsewhere, but not from the male tent.

Growing the males in another location is the better solution though. Personally I want to grow some males outside guriullastyle this summer and then collect and store the pollen for later use.

lollipopman

lollipopman

i tried to find you the thread on males. dont know where its at, but i think it was logic who did the post on flowering males in the same room as females.. maybe he can chime in if I'm right..

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
It all depends of your ventilation and suction from your male tent. If you can create some negative pressure in the tent and vent the air outside, sucking it not pushing it then it is possible. Depending on your intake you may get a few unwanted seeds elsewhere, but not from the male tent.

Growing the males in another location is the better solution though. Personally I want to grow some males outside guriullastyle this summer and then collect and store the pollen for later use.

:clapping Yeah that!

S

swisscheese

I've wondered about this in the past as well and would like to hear what Logic has to say.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
buy a tent and keep it separate and away from the rest of your stuff.....

lollipopman

lollipopman

He took a plastic tub with a clear bottom stood it up and put a computer fan on top to bring fresh air in, it was very simple but smart..

B

billybadazz

I Take my male and isolate it somewhere with no traffic and as far from my flower room as I have no pollen scrubber(I take a clone or two in case I got a winner.) I put the male on a mirror and let it bloom and scrape the pollen up with a razor blade. At this time depending on how much pollen you have or need you can "cut" it with regular flour at a ratio of 1:100 and divide these and package them up with silica gel and container them into one time uses and triple container them and store them in a freezer. When you have found the select female at week 2 of flowering(when small buds start to structure) take one of your packets into your flower room SHUT OFF ALL FANS OR SOURCES FOR AIR AND BREEZES! take a lower branch on the female and mark it (I use a twisty tie) take a small water color paint brush and CAREFULLY AND GENTLY brush on the flour pollen combo....when you harvest just keep that marked branch separate and this will be seed infused. If the combo turns out up to your liking then you have more pollen plus another clone of that male. hope that helps. BB

D

Dubwobble

I put my males in my spare bathroom, and place them in the tub with a fan and some T5's. I taped some panda plastic over the windows and at the bottom of the door so no light gets in or out. I put a timer on the T5's so they stay at 12/12

I can then either collect the pollen when the male flowers start dropping, or I can place some flowering females in there for a couple days.

Then give the pollenated females a good foliar feed and you can put them back with the other females.

L

Lost

umm...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJQFf0qj9Nk[/youtube]

S

smoke1sun

JLP Male Isolation Chamber
Hey guys, here's a little tutorial on how to grow your males right next to your females.It's a box that isolates the male and filters all the air that moves through the box so that no pollen escapes.I built my first one of these about 4 years ago and posted it at OG.This will be the third box I've constructed.They are fairly simple to construct and if you purchase all of the materials new you will spend probably $40-$60.

Here's an idea of what you'll need:

Just about any computer fan should work for this.Just set the fan on the filter and trace around it with a pen then cut out the squares with a good heavy pair of scissors.I usually use two layers of filter for the fan to draw through.Try to use the best quality filter you can.I really like these purple Filtrete,they have the highest filtration rating I can find and they are easy to tape to the fan.

Once you've cut the squares you stack them on top of each other and then the fan on top.Then run some duct tape around it making a seal and mating them all together.Make sure the fan is pulling air through the filter,not pushing.

Now you need to make a hole in the top of the box,I have a 4'' hole saw that worked perfect for this.

Next you need to seal the fan assembly to the box with some adhesive.You can use just about anything,silicone,latex,liquid nails.

Now you need to make a hole in the lid for an intake.Use a piece of left over filter to cover the hole and seal it with adhesive.

That's about all there is to it.Just plug in the fan and it gently draws air through the box keeping the plant alive and the pollen contained.Here's a pic with a female in the box to give an idea.I also screwed a board to the bottom for stability.

As you can see a clear box works best but you can use a solid box if you cut out the lid and put plexi-glass in it.

When my males show I take them out of the hydroton and re-plant them in soil then put them in the box,I can get about three in this one.I take the box away from the grow and gently open it for watering the males.
I've been using this method for several years now without any problems.

JLP

Google J.L.P. isolation chamber and you will find pictures and the actual d.i.y. tutorial that i copied this text from,

do as he says and your problem will be solved. When you find the thread, it will have pics also.

jlp male isolation chamber.

Top Bottom