How do you keep the root zone warm in the winter?

Madmax

Madmax

I made a screen for my veg room so my plants are off the ground by 10ā€™ which helps the girls out.also have pot stands in flower room that are 6-10ā€™ off the floor..I actually raised my floor 4ā€™ off the concrete with laminated chipboard.

A399F5D8 6D19 44C0 8E10 221CE4657715

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I made a screen for my veg room so my plants are off the ground by 10ā€™ which helps the girls out.also have pot stands in flower room that are 6-10ā€™ off the floor..I actually raised my floor 4ā€™ off the concrete with laminated chipboard.

View attachment 1311072
Nice screen! This way the top of the plant will be closer to the lamp, will adjust the hanging height of the lamp?

Madmax

Madmax

Basically itā€™s just getting them away from the draughty floor.the higher you go the warmer it is..I lose ceiling height but plants never get any closer than 34ā€™ under the cmh..they have some poke.when using t5ho at start I have them near another ft higher.Iā€™m stuffed without adding a tube or finned heater or even the 100-150 watt ceramic reptile heaters lol..I got everything bar the kitchen sink..šŸ˜‚

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Happyreefing

Happyreefing

I keep a seedling germination mat under my pot and when the controller sees itā€™s dropping below 60f it turns on and over 75f it shuts off works great in winter but donā€™t use unmonitored it will cook your roots šŸ˜£

jimijames

jimijames

I've used a digital meat thermometer in soil before (the metal spike type that you stick into your joint of beef). A greenhouse tube heater plugged into an Inkbird thermostat. If you're growing in a tent try to keep the ambient room temperature similar to the temperature inside the tent.

ViparSpectra

Supporter
Basically itā€™s just getting them away from the draughty floor.the higher you go the warmer it is..I lose ceiling height but plants never get any closer than 34ā€™ under the cmh..they have some poke.when using t5ho at start I have them near another ft higher.Iā€™m stuffed without adding a tube or finned heater or even the 100-150 watt ceramic reptile heaters lol..I got everything bar the kitchen sink..šŸ˜‚
You keep the temp in a convenient way!

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I keep a seedling germination mat under my pot and when the controller sees itā€™s dropping below 60f it turns on and over 75f it shuts off works great in winter but donā€™t use unmonitored it will cook your roots šŸ˜£
Smart setup! And don't forget to watch out the root~

ViparSpectra

Supporter
I've used a digital meat thermometer in soil before (the metal spike type that you stick into your joint of beef). A greenhouse tube heater plugged into an Inkbird thermostat. If you're growing in a tent try to keep the ambient room temperature similar to the temperature inside the tent.
Thanks for your sharing, very useful suggestions~

DonnainTripp

DonnainTripp

It is necessary to keep temperatures in the root zone in the ideal range to provide chemical reactions. These reactions are the mineral uptake from the nutrients we give plants for use in photosynthesis.

In the winter how do you keep the root zone warm?
What are you running drain to waste (soil) or dwc ?

DonnainTripp

DonnainTripp

In my dwc I gotta keep my water temp under 75 but above 65 so I run my top feed sub pumps unhooked in my buckets and run them if temp drops below 65 and heats right up

ViparSpectra

Supporter
In my dwc I gotta keep my water temp under 75 but above 65 so I run my top feed sub pumps unhooked in my buckets and run them if temp drops below 65 and heats right up
This method ensures the temperature and brings nutrients to the plants. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom