How do you keep your Mothers?

• Thread starter Ladyv
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

What kind of media are your mothers in?

• Total voters
Ladyv

Ladyv

I have my mothers in coco, convenient while in same room as veg, but now they are getting their own space :-) Considering moving them to soil for simplicity, planning in staying in smart pots.

Good idea? Talk to me!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Seems about the best plan to me. Soil for a few reasons, its forgiveness, its ability to maintain the plant without having to actively feed it. And then SmartPots (or similar) because you'll have far less chance of it becoming rootbound and going into flower.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

3 gallon smarties under t5s for me, in coco

Have one mom that's two years in without going root bound.

Usually replace after a year or so

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
It really depends what you're doing with your mothers. If you're just trying to keep the genetics alive, collecting, production cloning, etc.

I personally use soil or coco in 7-10 gallon fabric pots under 2 600 watt hps.

DSC03727
IMG 5195
IMG 5197

The tree is a Pre 98 Bubba.

Ladyv

Ladyv

It really depends what you're doing with your mothers. If you're just trying to keep the genetics alive, collecting, production cloning, etc.

I personally use soil or coco in 7-10 gallon fabric pots under 2 600 watt hps.

The tree is a Pre 98 Bubba.

The trunk on that Pre98 is....WOW!!!

I noticed in your first pic, the gals you have on the shelf in smart pots under the T5's - there are no drip pans are those in soil?

To answer your question, yes keeping the genetics, and production cloning.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
The trunk on that Pre98 is....WOW!!!

I noticed in your first pic, the gals you have on the shelf in smart pots under the T5's - there are no drip pans are those in soil?

To answer your question, yes keeping the genetics, and production cloning.

I have sealed concrete floors in there so I don't worry about run off so much. Any water on the floor tends to dry up within a couple hours. Those ones under the T5 were in soil. Some of the bigger ones were in coco but most were in soil. This was my set up for production cloning and worked amazing for that purpose. I stopped production cloning a couple years ago or so and added a drying room on the whole left side and moved things around a bit.

Ladyv

Ladyv

Gotcha, funny how personalities play into this. I'm on sealed concrete floors, but can't stand the idea of a puddle on them.... :-)

I'm gonna try the soil route - don't really seem to have much to lose, and I'm convinced it would just be more efficient.

Now....suggestions for a good mix outta the bag? I'm willing to amend with a couple of things, but am not interested in mixing up a big batch. The goal is KISS and efficiency.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Gotcha, funny how personalities play into this. I'm on sealed concrete floors, but can't stand the idea of a puddle on them.... :)

I'm gonna try the soil route - don't really seem to have much to lose, and I'm convinced it would just be more efficient.

Now....suggestions for a good mix outta the bag? I'm willing to amend with a couple of things, but am not interested in mixing up a big batch. The goal is KISS and efficiency.

Yeah I like a clean room but don't mind a little water on the ground. If was dirty and wet I'd be bummed. lol

I use either pure canna coco, FFOF, or Greenfields. No cut on any of them. I'm a fan of the KISS method with mothers. I stopped mixing soil years ago.

Ladyv

Ladyv

Check. OK....tomorrow, off to get some soil :-) FFOF I know is available locally, I will have to see about the Greenfields...any particular reason you would use one over the other?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Seems about the best plan to me. Soil for a few reasons, its forgiveness, its ability to maintain the plant without having to actively feed it. And then SmartPots (or similar) because you'll have far less chance of it becoming rootbound and going into flower.

sea...are you saying that rootbound plants will start autoflowering? Some of my older moms are throwing out calyxes and single leaves even though nothing has changed in my momma room...usually around the 18 month mark. I have been trying to figure it out...never considered root-boundness. They are definitely maxed out in their pots.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
sea...are you saying that rootbound plants will start autoflowering? Some of my older moms are throwing out calyxes and single leaves even though nothing has changed in my momma room...usually around the 18 month mark. I have been trying to figure it out...never considered root-boundness. They are definitely maxed out in their pots.

I don't know that I could call it autoflowering, cuz I know nothing about autos. But yeah, IME if they become bound, doesn't seem to matter what photoperiod they're on, they'll start poppin' pistils, and maybe even building calyxes. A SmartPot, or any pot that helps natural root pruning, should help with that problem. My technique has been to repot and remove about 1/3 to 1/2 the rootball, make her start all over again. Pushing N and some alfalfa tea can help reverse flowering, too.

Shamus

Shamus

^^^ that's what I've been doing sea.
and as far as what I keep them in medium wise it has been 5 gallon smart pots, SS#4, with compost teas and just recently threw them under a nice LED, which also seems to correct naturally variegated plants, odd..) but I think I may make a pumice coco mixture from here on out due to the fact it remains ph stable for years compared to the peat in SS#4.
my main goal here is to have some of these cuts in 40 years.. And some are already almost 30 years old.
ID LIKE to be able to just have little apical meristem bastards in my fridge w/o rootlets and the definition of being a plant.
or is it an artificial seed I want..
I'm looking to the hop industry for TC-ing cannabis, I have a meeting with a dude out here that does it currently

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
> just recently threw them under a nice LED, which also seems to correct naturally variegated plants, odd..

< That's very interesting...

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Check. OK....tomorrow, off to get some soil :) FFOF I know is available locally, I will have to see about the Greenfields...any particular reason you would use one over the other?

Greenfield is just Roots version of FFOF. It's a bit of a lighter mix and not quite as hot though, which is nice.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming šŸŒ±
Supporter
Greenfield is just Roots version of FFOF. It's a bit of a lighter mix and not quite as hot though, which is nice.

So what is your method for keeping the moms small, or trying to keep them small, ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom