How do you know how much light to give a plant, and is there a light meter that isn't insanely expensive?

• Thread starter Growth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Growth

We keep lightburning our plants because we never know what the right amount is and we have no way of measuring it so it's basically trial and error.

Is there any resource on how much light plants should have at each stage and maybe a meter that's affordable?

Side question: Is there an area on this forum I can ask how you know how many MG are in an edible after turning a flower into wax/butter?

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Same thought ...So.. I go by lumens.. it's been good enough prior to the intro (spread) of par and ppfd... their are charts in goog... they give a pretty good generalization of lumens for veg and flower cycles .... I give my girl 60,000 at 6 inches... most leds now are full spectrum... (not all ) lumen meter about $35 at Zon. Look up my posts and you'll see my girl with a little over 100 watts can do.... happy trails

jdog22

jdog22

yo bro even cheaper than buying a reader, if you have a new phone like the iphone 14 or new galaxy download protone it gives me the info i need, it wouldnt be spot on but id say damn close. hope it helps

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

Plants that are happy with the light level have fan leaves that are flat, level, and vibrant green. When they're praying an hour before lights-out, they're ready for more. Edge curl, taco-ing, canoe-ing, twisting, or any color other than green suggest they'd like less.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Is there any resource on how much light plants should have at each stage and maybe a meter that's affordable?
Yes. This is from a Mars Hydro page by way of Google. The PPFD for seedling stage is 100-300 µMol/m2/S; the PPFD for vegetation stage is 400-600 µMol/m2/S, and the PPFD for flowering stage is 800-1,000 µMol/m2/S.

The leaves, however, are the best light meters. Reading them takes some experience, but there's no better method. The only time I use the Photone app is when I'm moving plants to a different tent. It helps to set the light close to the same value in the destination tent as it was in the source tent.

When they're praying an hour before lights-out, they're ready for more.
I've seen this method mentioned many times, but it hasn't worked for me. I've looked for literature that mentions it and haven't found any yet. Everything I've found so far says praying leaves either means too much light or are a sign of a healthy, fast-growing marijuana plant that's getting a lot of light. (That last part is according to Grow Weed Easy.)

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I've seen this method mentioned many times, but it hasn't worked for me. I've looked for literature that mentions it and haven't found any yet. Everything I've found so far says praying leaves either means too much light or are a sign of a healthy, fast-growing marijuana plant that's getting a lot of light. (That last part is according to Grow Weed Easy.)
I don't have a reference. It's just what works for me. Just for context, I should probably say that I start my veg plants a lot lower in terms of light intensity than most manufacturers' recommendations (and most growers on the internet 😄).

BB22

BB22

We keep lightburning our plants because we never know what the right amount is and we have no way of measuring it so it's basically trial and error.

Side question: Is there an area on this forum I can ask how you know how many MG are in an edible after turning a flower into wax/butter?
Yes there is . That inexpensive moisture meter that goes for about 15 bucks on Amazon. It’s analog. It will get you in the ballpark. Then you have to start looking at your leaves. I’m a new grower it is a helpful tool.

@Captspaulding ✌️

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Yes there is . That inexpensive moisture meter that goes for about 15 bucks on Amazon. It’s analog. It will get you in the ballpark. Then you have to start looking at your leaves. I’m a new grower it is a helpful tool.

@Captspaulding ✌️

aye, so there are phone apps, and then there is the classics. A 3 way dampness/ph/light output probe is definitely my go to for laying out my lights. I tried the apps and stuff, way more of a pain in the ass than it should be. The 3 way meters have a ppfd scale that ranges from 1-2000. Now I have a tendency like @ArtfulCodger to set all of my equipment to waaaay lower output than any light par map, or instructions dictate. It’s never about adjusting your plant to the light, it should always be the other way around. The amount of light amount any particular strain can endure is most definitely subjective to lineage and genesis locations. Always start with everything set low output, high height above canopy. I veg at 40% output at 30-36 inches above canopy. That’s a decent happy medium for most strains in veg. But it’s not set in stone. There will always be an Output% up or down factor to consider depending on what you are running. Throw out manufacturers specs, and start here. It’s always easier to give a plant more of what it needs, as opposed to giving it too much of things and having to correct that. You dig?

Long story short. Less is more, and that 3 way meter will assist you in laying out your lights height and space inbetween lights. If they are in close proximity and the lights foot print washes out in to another lights footprint, they will keep a nice ppfd in zones between the lights as well. Then start to adjust the lights down, or up and always taking note of different height ppfd in conjunction to your grow space and canopy. The other 2 functions of the three way meter, are useless, but to measure light output? Solid gold imo. Holler at a clown if you need anything!

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
I don't have a reference. It's just what works for me. Just for context, I should probably say that I start my veg plants a lot lower in terms of light intensity than most manufacturers' recommendations (and most growers on the internet 😄).
I’m exactly the same in that department. Always easier to give a plant more of something if it asks, then to fix an overabundance of dli and leaf damage ect. 👊🏻

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Plants that are happy with the light level have fan leaves that are flat, level, and vibrant green. When they're praying an hour before lights-out, they're ready for more. Edge curl, taco-ing, canoe-ing, twisting, or any color other than green suggest they'd like less.
👆👆👆👆

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

if you think it's hard now on how much light to give it wait until you have to figure out how much light to give an outside plant

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter

There’s a formula. Concentrate (type this should dictate thc percentage) yield from x amount of (Mili)grams used and amount of applicable butter yielded. I think anyways.

lenhug

lenhug

So now after I finally (finally!) dialed my env in temp/humidity wise and saw the results my next stop in last few weeks has been thinking about the lighting and intensity like yourself @Growth instead of guestimating (always the best method...lol!)

After much reading, thinking and mulling over I arrived at these values also as a ballpark/starting point:

Yes. This is from a Mars Hydro page by way of Google. The PPFD for seedling stage is 100-300 µMol/m2/S; the PPFD for vegetation stage is 400-600 µMol/m2/S, and the PPFD for flowering stage is 800-1,000 µMol/m2/S.

And here: https://indogrow.com/par-for-cannabis/

I also found a recommendation somewhere for a decent PAR meter which doesn't cost an arm and a leg (no thanks Apogee!) so went with that and seems pretty great so far (YMMV):

I've now turned my lights up a lot (650-900 PAR) and keeping an eye on the plants of course. 🙃

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Grower1974

Grower1974

I also found a recommendation somewhere for a decent PAR meter which doesn't cost an arm and a leg (no thanks Apogee!) so went with that and seems pretty great so far (YMMV):

I've now turned my lights up a lot (650-900 PAR) and keeping an eye on the plants of course. 🙃
I use the same one. Love it. It's within 2% of the Photone app on my Iphone as well.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
G

Growth

I use the same one. Love it. It's within 2% of the Photone app on my Iphone as well.
Ooo guess I'll just use the app then, right?
I have the iPhone 8 Plus idk if it has the necessary hardware as such an old phone though.

Newty

Newty

Realistically a phone is never going to be accurate, I use the photone and the ppfd meter app on a S22 Ultra but more as a reference. I basically know what numbers my plants like based on the numbers the app is giving me and what the plant is doing even though I'm sure they aren't accurate.

I like to start light during veg at 5 of 10 power and go to 6 of 10 after a couple weeks. I continue at 6 until a couple weeks in flower where I'll start moving the setting up 1 each week until at 100% then stay there for a few weeks and then I start dimming back down toward harvest.

Last edited:
G

Growth

Realistically a phone is never going to be accurate, I use the photone and the ppfd meter app on a S22 Ultra but more as a reference. I basically know what numbers my plants like based on the numbers the app is giving me and what the plant is doing even though I'm sure they aren't accurate.

I like to start light during veg at 5 of 10 power and go to 6 of 10 after a couple weeks. I continue at 6 until a couple weeks in flower where I'll start moving the setting up 1 each week and then I start dimming back down toward harvest.
Yeah but the light power is different for every light, so which light are you using?

Newty

Newty

Yeah but the light power is different for every light, so which light are you using?
I'm using 2 Vivosun VS4000 in a 8x4.
Light height during veg is 18"-21" depending on growth rate, that way I don't need to raise lights everyday but instead every few days.
Yes light power is different for each light, more was saying veg you start low 25%-50% but watch what your plants are doing, if they are happy you are good but if they are burning then it needs dimmed and/or height adjusted and as you flower you need to increase light and look at what your plant is telling you and adjust accordingly. Always start lower and see how they respond. You can then integrate one of the phone apps and when your plants are happy, see what numbers you get and use them for reference later on future grows.

It's trial and error, we have to also consider nutrients being used because they directly affect how the plant responds to light. I've seen the same light at the same setting in tents side by side give different readings and results.

Last edited:
lenhug

lenhug

Ooo guess I'll just use the app then, right?
I have the iPhone 8 Plus idk if it has the necessary hardware as such an old phone though.
Should be fine with an 8 I would have thought, not particularly power hungry app. Give it a try I suppose.

G

Growth

Should be fine with an 8 I would have thought, not particularly power hungry app. Give it a try I suppose.
The battery isn't my worry. It's the light sensor. I don't know how much it's been upgraded in the past 8 years lol, ive kept my 8 because it works perfectly well and 1000 for a phone is nuts

Top Bottom