how do you remove the chloraphyl taste from butter?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

ive made some cannabutter a couple times and it always has a crappy taste to it. heard that the problem is chloraphyl,, is there a way to make it taste better or remove it? i heard that you can soak the weed in room temp water to remove it (chloraphyl ) but is this correct? any help is appreciated
What CW said! We clarify the butter first, which dramatically reduces chlorophyll pickup.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/extracting-with-oils-and-fats/

mandalaman

mandalaman

What CW said! We clarify the butter first, which dramatically reduces chlorophyll pickup.

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/extracting-with-oils-and-fats/
Nice! Is there a noticeable flavor/potency difference between coconut oil and ghee? Is it worth the additional step of clarifying the butter versus using a coconut oil from the start?

Also, having used your QWET methodology I wonder if you've had any success creating night time edibles using the material from the third wash (the water wash)?

Cntrlwolf

Cntrlwolf

Nice! Is there a noticeable flavor/potency difference between coconut oil and ghee? Is it worth the additional step of clarifying the butter versus using a coconut oil from the start?

Also, having used your QWET methodology I wonder if you've had any success creating night time edibles using the material from the third wash (the water wash)?
well... The only problem I can think of with ghee is if the temps go above 220. I think it comes down to preference and application. If you prefer butter, or wanted something vegan. I have read about coconut oil that there are 2 different kinds, and to be sure you are using the edible one. Something about coconut oil being heat sensitive. Let me google for a minute.

Cntrlwolf

Cntrlwolf

Okay I've looked for a minute and I think it's bullshit. There is refined and unrefined. Unrefined is more of a butter texture. so oil probably doesn't need to be clarified.

mandalaman

mandalaman

Okay I've looked for a minute and I think it's bullshit. There is refined and unrefined. Unrefined is more of a butter texture. so oil probably doesn't need to be clarified.
The unrefined will liquefy quickly when heat is added. I use unrefined coconut oil for a ton of different things it's good stuff.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Actually, potency is good on both of them, so it is more a matter of taste. I liked the way they both tasted, as did the student taste panels sampling them.

We used unrefined oil, but check out the experiment done blending kif and liquid coconut oil by CAT Scientific.:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/dissolving-acidic-cannabinoids-for-a-thca-tincture-by-steve-gold/

I haven't made any meds with the water wash, but they were definitely sedative.

F

friend

Crock pot
Strainer
Cheese cloth
cured products ( i normally use leaf trim after its been kiefd)
I use a little water to reclaim the butter in a saucepan
multiple times , using a little water for clarity
These two techniques have made my edibles so good
I have trouble sharing them anymore :love1: J/K

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I always was under the inprsssion that it's due to the fact that heat degrades chlorophyll at a rapid pace. At 212f it's hot enough to degrade the chlorophyll, and hot enough to have sped up some conversion from THCa to THC, but remains well below the boiling point of THC. If it gets hot enough (not really possible with water at normal pressure) THC will certainly boil off (vaporize). That's essentially how I understand fractional distillation to work. They have precision control over boiling points and vacuum and heat to a certain temperature and then capture that vapor in a separate container. A certain range of temp results in a certain "fraction" of product (wanted or unwanted), and there is certainly some overlap.

I could be wrong, but I think boiling the leaves will result in the loss of some THC ( and the majority of chlorophyll. )

Interesting read:
Thats exactly how it works..

jcom

jcom

The BEST Way: don't boil and dump as mentioned above. When you are boiling your product/water/butter and awaiting evaporation (I allow 5 - 7 hours for slow evaporation/max binding to fats), prepare the appropriate sized tupperware container. First cheesecloth strainage goes into tupperware and into refrigerator (I use thermal gloves for cheesecloth as I like to strain as quickly and as hot as possible). The next day, the butter/oil will have formed a semi-solid mass at the top of the container and there will be a layer of mushy, chloro and other crap layer at the bottom. Dump tupperware upside down onto cookie sheet, wax paper, etc and scrape that mushy crap off and toss it. Put tupperware container near heating duct or microwave and it will turn back to liquid state. Repeat refrigeration, separation, scrape process 3 times. By the 3rd time your butter will be more golden than green = mass of chloro gone = great tasting peanut butter chocolate chip cookies!!

whitepistols

whitepistols

Instead of using the butter once when it hardens on top of the water fish the butter off the top.

Place butter in a clean pot just add same amount of water first used. Allow it to come off of a simmer or a gentle boil.

Let it harden in the fridge. The next day repeat. 5 days ish the water will clear. Clear water butter has no chlorofil taste downside is it's not fast it's days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom