how do you remove the chloraphyl taste from butter?

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mikeb437

mikeb437

ive made some cannabutter a couple times and it always has a crappy taste to it. heard that the problem is chloraphyl,, is there a way to make it taste better or remove it? i heard that you can soak the weed in room temp water to remove it (chloraphyl ) but is this correct? any help is appreciated

H

headband707

Well your always going to have a taste but use dry bud and the better the bud the better the butter. If you use leaf then you will sleep. If it's wet you will taste it more and there will always be a taste you could make baked goods with the butter which is what a lot of ppl do. peace out Headband707

The Joker

The Joker

Both suggestions are good. The butter tastes best when using buds and bud trim.
When you use stems and fan leaves it tastes awful. By just using popcorn and bud trim the flavor is better. I have made oatmeal cookies using 50% butter and that was still too strong, but no one tasted it. The cookies tasted great!

A

Alekiboy

Cure the plant material first...
Only reason bud and bud trim tastes better is that there is less chlorophyll per volume

R

Rolln J

to take the green taste out of butter is simple really...

first melt your butter down and skim all the white froth off the top, this fat isnt as soluble as the rest and removing it makes the butter stay fresh longer - your baked goods wont get that stale taste so fast...

then add an equal amount of water as butter to the pan your simmering it all in and turn the heat up for a few minutes to get it going good. before the liquid starts boiling turn back down to simmer and ass your desired amount of bud/trim. stir the greens in till its all good and mixed and simmer for however long you usually do ( i go at least 3 hours) stirring occasionally.

now you want to strain all the green out so get a kitchen sieve put it over a big bowl and pour the mix into the strainer. you can take a cup of boiling water at this point and pour it over the green matter to make sure you got all the butter out.

now put the bowl in the fridge overnight and the butter and water will separate leaving you with nasty ass brown water and some nice light green canna butter.

you can also do the same exact thing with olive oil (I prefer this) instead of butter - just dont use extra virgin stuff as it burns.

another tip that helps the taste and the potency is to take your ground up green material (bud or shake) and put it in a aluminum foil pouch in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes. You will notice a marked increase in potency - I believe its called decarbolization or something like that.

in regard to soaking the weed I have read recipes were people simmered the weed in water on the lowest setting for an hour before the put it in the butter - I have not tried this yet but it makes sense since thc isnt water soluble and as long as you keep the temp goes nowhere near 300 it should work - but the water and butter thing works great so I never bothered with the extra step.

cheers!

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Take one half gal. jar with tight fitting lid.Fill loosely with well cured pop corn bud,fine trim,and/or bud shake.Add moonshine or everclear to 1 inch from top of lid.cover and shake 25 seconds(not longer).Strain and place in glass or pirex dish.Cover with tea towel and sit in shade on a hot day until reduced by 90%.If reduced until dry you have hash! Add 1 LBS.heated butter.stir well.pour into a plastic tub.Let it sit until it is room temp.Put on lid and place in cooler until hard. Use one rounded table spoon (or to taste) to replace oil in brownie mix,cookie mix,or other bake goods. um,um,good!

R

Rolln J

Take one half gal. jar with tight fitting lid.Fill loosely with well cured pop corn bud,fine trim,and/or bud shake.Add moonshine or everclear to 1 inch from top of lid.cover and shake 25 seconds(not longer).Strain and place in glass or pirex dish.Cover with tea towel and sit in shade on a hot day until reduced by 90%.If reduced until dry you have hash! Add 1 LBS.heated butter.stir well.pour into a plastic tub.Let it sit until it is room temp.Put on lid and place in cooler until hard. Use one rounded table spoon (or to taste) to replace oil in brownie mix,cookie mix,or other bake goods. um,um,good!

lol that seams so much eazier - I like it!

I assume you mean the 190 proof everclear - not that fake californian 151 shit?

tincture to butter - I think tincture is my next project...

mikeb437

mikeb437

isnt that just a tincture thrown into butter? ive made tinctures,,only i used my throw away stuff like stems and bad shake. and it tastes like crap! ( at least mine did..) i never use really good stuff to make oil, butter, tinctures because its too expensive to experiment with.. im paying over 120 bux for a quarter ounce.. (7g) im trying to save $$ by using all my stems and crap like that,, now i got a volcano and im gonna try out the vaped weed to make some oil.. ;)

L

LikesEmBig

It's also the strains you're using.In the past i grew strains with tastes that i liked, but wouldn't necessarily go back to time and again. my last run of butter i used a combo of Space Jill, Lemon Larry and Vortex. When using this particular batch i can smear it on toast without any jelly. It already has an orange fruit flava; the orange seemed to dominate the butter. Think of this while baking some kind of orange muffin. i quite buying edible products, since i never really liked eating them. There was only one granola bar that was simply outstanding and of course it disappeared before i could develop a habit of eating them. It too seemed to have more fruit flavor than green. oh yeah, ditto the above recommendations, especially the one about using only bud trim. for me butter and the route that its fat takes through your system is simple and effective, and long lasting.

S

sensei13

I agree with LikesEmBig, I've always used sweeter/fruitier bud to make butter, which resulted in somewhat sweet to bitter butter. Here's a thought, I've never combined the two (and not sure if it would work) but have you thought about water curing first? I've used this with great results to tame the chlorophyll taste in pinier tasting smoke.

M

meangreen69

just add a lil nutmeg to what your cooking it will take the taste right out.

mikeb437

mikeb437

i added water to the butter/weed mix and let it simmer,, i suppose the water grabbed up all the crap because it was nice and brown. the butter had no bad taste.. water is the way to go!

sky high

sky high

If you do this to all of your butter first the end product will have a far more "nutty" flavor to (it's what ya dip crab/lobster meat in)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarified_butter

Another great product (IMO) to use is Coconut Oil. Kinda looks like lard before ya melt it... but it makes shit like canna cookies have a very yummy sweetness. Health food/natural grocers/etc will have it on the shelf.

TK hit it tho. Use hash oil or water-extracted bubblehash. There's still a taste in most stuff, but it's more "essence' than "green" if that makes sense.

good luck

s h

C

Cloud9

the best way to get chlorophyll out of your bud is to water cure it. (water pulls the chlorophyll out faster than air curing)

after you have water cured the bud, it will not have much 'bag appeal' (almost no smell, and may look alittle odd), but it will make great edibles,

here is more info on water curing (just a google search, not sure if these are the best sources of info.)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Marijuana_Cultivation/Curing

http://www.invalid.com/harvesting-curing/102641-greenx-how-tos-how-water.html

hope this helps.

A

Arrow

Simply boil the trims in the water for 20 min. After that throw away that dirty water and then boil with butter and water for 90 min. Than the taste is fine.

As I know the boiling in the water you take the chlorophyl out of the trims. Don't worry about the potency. THC join with oil/fat (butter) only.

Last edited:
GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
ive made some cannabutter a couple times and it always has a crappy taste to it. heard that the problem is chloraphyl,, is there a way to make it taste better or remove it? i heard that you can soak the weed in room temp water to remove it (chloraphyl ) but is this correct? any help is appreciated
Rip some hash first then add it to your butter... no green no problem.

mandalaman

mandalaman

A quick low temp quick wash with ethanol is easy to do and safe to consume, even if not fully purged. I would make an extract then cook with that. You could even combine it with coconut oil after with just a little heat. Ethanol vapors are far less dangerous than butane. So proper ventilation (fan, ideally open window) and common sense will suffice. My $0.02

You'll also get rid of a lot of the unwanted lipids/waxes besides chlorophyll as well, which could be adding to the unpleasant flavor.
Good luck :)

Last edited:
mandalaman

mandalaman

Simply boil the trims in the water for 20 min. After that throw away that dirty water and then boil with butter and water for 90 min. Than the taste is fine.

As I know the boiling in the water you take the chlorophyl out of the trims. Don't worry about the potency. THC join with oil/fat (butter) only.
I always was under the inprsssion that it's due to the fact that heat degrades chlorophyll at a rapid pace. At 212f it's hot enough to degrade the chlorophyll, and hot enough to have sped up some conversion from THCa to THC, but remains well below the boiling point of THC. If it gets hot enough (not really possible with water at normal pressure) THC will certainly boil off (vaporize). That's essentially how I understand fractional distillation to work. They have precision control over boiling points and vacuum and heat to a certain temperature and then capture that vapor in a separate container. A certain range of temp results in a certain "fraction" of product (wanted or unwanted), and there is certainly some overlap.

I could be wrong, but I think boiling the leaves will result in the loss of some THC ( and the majority of chlorophyll. )

Interesting read:

Top Bottom