How Do You Store Your Clones?

• Thread starter LucifDERRR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LucifDERRR

LucifDERRR

Just wondering how you guys store your clones, I wanted to keep some cuts in my fridge but just wanted to see if someone has some info on this from their experience. Thanks!

BlackSheepOG

BlackSheepOG

Take cuts, place in cup, place cup in fridge. Longest I've kept one and rooted was just over a month so all depends on how long you trying to keep them. Goal goal is to slow their metabolism down. Basically put them into hibernate.

LucifDERRR

LucifDERRR

Yup thats what I said, people store seeds in fridges and I know it goes bith ways for clones also i read of and know people doing with success just trying to get some insight ya know and what would be the best way to do it. Hell yeah thanks @G gnome @BlackSheepOG

Dabominable

Dabominable

That's pretty interesting. Would there be any offset of taking multiple cups of clones and leaving them in the fridge for up to a week, and then going about your normal cloning routine? If so this could be super useful for me. Or do the clones actually root, in the cup, in the fridge within a month?

LucifDERRR

LucifDERRR

That's pretty interesting. Would there be any offset of taking multiple cups of clones and leaving them in the fridge for up to a week, and then going about your normal cloning routine? If so this could be super useful for me. Or do the clones actually root, in the cup, in the fridge within a month?

I read a thread and some dude had his for a month in the fridge and rooted a bit and once he was ready, took em out let the water cool a bit and planted so there wouldn't be too much shock im sure it all depends on the genetics though on how they re act to being in the fridge and how long they'll take to root @Dabominable

Dabominable

Dabominable

I read a thread and some dude had his for a month in the fridge and rooted a bit and once he was ready, took em out let the water cool a bit and planted so there wouldn't be too much shock im sure it all depends on the genetics though on how they re act to being in the fridge and how long they'll take to root @Dabominable

So did he root them before putting them in the fridge? Or did it root in the fridge? Did the person say what temp their fridge was on?

LucifDERRR

LucifDERRR

He said they rooted a little in the fridge maybe his fridge wasnt so cold? They didn't say what temp but you dont want it too cold in there you know how some fridges could freeze food a little

Limonene

Limonene

A friend of mine used to keep unrooted clones for up to 3 months in the fridge, i believe subcool told him about that method. I think he mentioned wrapping the base in wet tissue, putting it in a bag and blowing in the bag once a week. Obviously the stem is quite long so when he wants to root it he takes the cut from that stem.

Limonene

Limonene

i just found this when googling subcool clones fridge

aka "Subcooled Cuttings"

The crisper drawer and a ziploc bag will provide a suitable stasis* chamber for fresh cuttings for up to around 6..7..8 weeks.
(*Stasis= maintaining a constant level...Stable state...dormant)

In order to obtain this sort of longevity in the fridge, the bag containing the dry**, unrooted branches should be opened to breathe at least once a week,better yet,twice a week. Partially puff the bag before sealing with your breath...
Cuttings that are kept in the refrigerator this way actually will root faster than conventional non-refrigerated cuttings once they are removed from the coolness of the refrigerator on up to a point of about 2 or 3 weeks, which at that time they will take proceed to take longer to root and you may even just lose a few.
Important: When they are removed from the refrigerator to be rooted, be sure to recut the stem.

The holding of cuttings in "fridge stasis" opens the door to many possibilities such as... testing many different males, holding strains while evaluating, changing the way you time your mothers,... etc..

Limonene

Limonene

and...

"Keeping your clones in stasis by using your fridge is a handy way to both store them for future use or keep backups should there be some failure with your original cuttings. I have personally kept cuttings up to eight weeks using this method.

Simply put:

1) Take cuttings as you normally would, but with the one addition of leaving a longer stem, as you will be trimming this down further by at least half an inch when it is time to root them.

2) Place cuttings in a Ziploc bag (Tupperware can be used also.)There should be enough water in the bottom of the bag so that the stems are submerged. RO or good quality tap water should be fine. An inch or two should be in the bottom of the bag, keeping the stems wet.

Breathe some air into the bag, mainly so as not to crush the leaves and provide some cushion as they may get bumped about in the crisper drawer.

**Another variation on this is to simply put the cuttings in a water glass or jar (an ice cream bucket works well too -> basically, wide and shallow containers) and have them sit on the shelf in the fridge (stems also in water). This may or may not be convenient or stealthy for you.

3) I would recommend that you replace the air and water in the bag once a week. I have typically not bothered to replace the air or water at all for up to four weeks, but I continually come across this information and it seems like it cant hurt.

4) When you decide it is time to use your cuttings, remove them from the fridge and let them sit with their stems in a glass of water for half an hour or so to warm up as you prepare your cloning materials.

5) Cut half an inch or more off the stem to make a fresh end that you will dip in your favorite rooting hormome or rooting medium. I have found that fridge clones, if let to sit longer than a few weeks, will take longer to root.

This is fine for most since many are buying time with this method anyway. Clones older than 2 weeks will usually begin to root in 10 days and are mostly established by 14 days.

*Be sure that your fridge does not have a tendency to freeze your food. It should be stable. If your clones freeze, they will die. Happy Cloning. "

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I have kept unrooted cuts in a zip lock in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. They rooted and cloned very vigorously.
No sign of any diminished health.
2016 01 10 150000

akstoner

akstoner

Yup thats what I said, people store seeds in fridges and I know it goes bith ways for clones also i read of and know people doing with success just trying to get some insight ya know and what would be the best way to do it. Hell yeah thanks @G gnome @BlackSheepOG
well yeah seed banks freeze seeds.... lmao but seriously good info on clones in the fridge i would have never thought.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom