How Do You Worm Farm?

• Thread starter Underthesun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Underthesun

Underthesun

Worms! They are awesome. Especially the composting type, specifically red wigglers in this case. At least that is the type I would like to talk about. The compost they produce is awesome, ever since I started growing organic and making my own worm compost my plants have never looked so good...way better than the expensive store bought stuff. And after you get established you can have endless amounts for free and build up a great garden.

I'd like to show you how I do my worm farming. It works great for me so far but I would like to hear how others do it too. We could probably all learn from eachother. I've seen other threads on worm farming, but was wanting one where people where encouraged to show their farms.

I have indoor and outdoor bins. For my outdoor bins I incorporate a regular compost pile into the assembly line. I compost with 50/50 Nitrogen to Carbon ratio. I don't use any animal waste, although I know some do and have awesome results. I just keep it simple and to me animal waste makes it more complicated. So i turn this pile weekly until it is halfway composted and turning into a nice dark mix of half composted material. In CO our compost piles won't get hot without using animal waste, so I don't have to worry about burning my worms.
How do you worm farm

I take my half composted material and lay in my home made worm bin. Made from recycled lumber free from craigslist. 3'x6'x2'. Open to the ground below, worms won't escape if happy. They'll just have lots of sex and eats lots of food. I add some cardboard ripped into 2-3" pieces. And sprinkle things like crushed egg shells, dolomite lime, gypsum, oyster shells, azomite and basalt on the top. You don't need to use all of these by any means but I would use at least one of the egg shells, gypsum, or dolomite lime to control PH. I then put cardboard on top of the bin, followed by old damp rags/towels/carpet/clothes. This helps keep the carboard moist on the top layer and the worms love hanging up in the top layer eating away. I get all my cardboard for free at the local recycling center. Worms will eat all cardboard that doesn't have a film on it, so pretty much any cardboard from the grocery store works too, like cereal boxes.
How do you worm farm 2

How do you worm farm 3

A few weeks or months later I screen with a 1/4" mesh screen. You can start getting compost pretty soon outdoors with this method since you already are using half composted material.

Indoors I keep bins for the winter. I keep one small bin during the summer indoors so I can repopulate my other indoor bins without taking worms from outside. Its just easier and I don't have to worry about bringing in unwanted bugs into my indoor bin. I use rubbermaid totes, 2 totes for each bin. The bottom bin collects the lechate that I toss out (not worm tea as some state online).
How do you worm farm 4

I'm all for composting for great cannabis but also for helping the evironment. To me composting should be done with waste material. In other words to me it defeats the purpose to go buy material to compost with; such as buying worm food, peat moss and other bedding when its all around your house already getting thrown away. My 2 cents anyways. Thanks for reading and would be great to see how you all do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom