How early do you aim for yellowing leaves?

• Thread starter bloads
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bloads

bloads

As most people tend to curtail their N feedings, a lot of gardeners seem to be wanting yellowing fan leaves towards the end of their harvest.

When do you aim for the yellow to start?
Why do you want low N for late flowering?

hiboy

hiboy

never heard of aiming for yellowing leaves, normally they will do that on there own, the plant is coming to its end
h

G

gooey

i aim for green at week 8...i would rather chop a plant with green leaves than a plant thats faded by week 5...just my opinion tho ...peace

bloads

bloads

never heard of aiming for yellowing leaves, normally they will do that on there own, the plant is coming to its end
h

From what I've read on H&G (what I use), they push a bit too much N, so that plants never yellow towards the end. Multiple threads on H&G have recommended using no/little of the A component of their nutrients, after about 4 weeks of flower.

I'm following those instructions, it seems to be working well, but I have a few monster plants that are a bit close to my 1000w exposed, and they're rapidly yellowing too (most likely just bleaching, but it looks so much like N def that I'm assuming my curtailing of H&G A is making it yellow/bleach faster).

S

SSHZ

I find that when I stop N too early, the plants health suffers some. I use Botanicare and their range of fertilizers has N going from 3-X-X to 2-X-X to 1-X-X until the last week. Then none the last 7-10 days. If they yellow up to quickly, then I revert back to the higher N fertilizer for 1 feeding for a boost. Keep them healthy later for better resin production......

bloads

bloads

I find that when I stop N too early, the plants health suffers some. I use Botanicare and their range of fertilizers has N going from 3-X-X to 2-X-X to 1-X-X until the last week. Then none the last 7-10 days. If they yellow up to quickly, then I revert back to the higher N fertilizer for 1 feeding for a boost. Keep them healthy later for better resin production......

That's what I was thinking too, which got me confused about how people cut out A of H&G to allow their plants to yellow towards the end. Basically it's a fine line between natural yellowing and too much, and it's safer to error on the side of too green vs yellow too quick?

S

SSHZ

People fear it will "taste" too green if you use N at the end but with a thorough week of flushing the taste will be fine.....

J

Jalisco Kid

That's what I was thinking too, which got me confused about how people cut out A of H&G to allow their plants to yellow towards the end. Basically it's a fine line between natural yellowing and too much, and it's safer to error on the side of too green vs yellow too quick?

What is your ppm levels if you ran just A?
In my sats N puts too much leaf on my plant and too little trics. JK

S

smokestack23

Be careful with the late cycle N boosts. Though not high it "can" still tell a plant to want to veg or reveg ..at least stretch and start pushing out single bladers.

To dude who said he notices more yellowing nearer the lights...that's because plants metabolize faster closer to the source so you'll often see things happen there first.

Don't forget about the high P myth. Mike's samples showed that they wanted a lot more N and a lot ..a LOT less P than before thought. Think it's something around 3-1-5 or something?
So..flowering plants DO still want quite a bit of N.

As was mentioned...a good leaching will ensure no N or green taste.

Now what JK said about his sativas...interesting.

PEACE

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
As most people tend to curtail their N feedings, a lot of gardeners seem to be wanting yellowing fan leaves towards the end of their harvest.

When do you aim for the yellow to start?
Why do you want low N for late flowering?
I'm happy if the fade starts about two to three weeks prior to chop. That way I know that once I really ramp down nutrients the plant will be using up what's left in its own tissues. I do this because I really dig blonde buds (like my man). I've also made the mistake of pushing N too late in flower and caused both terrible foxtailing, as in downright NASTY, and the flavor was awful, too, despite a full ten days flushing (as in passing several times the pot volume of water through the media).

I do things differently now. It's much more difficult for me to get that fade later in the season on my OD girls, and as a result the buds are much darker green. I'd like to get that ramped back just a wee bit, but don't want to mess up my good soil.

O

old spice

This was a really interesting q and a. Thanks. I think I've been yellowing too soon.

C

Cloudy in here

I always flush two aeeks before harvest, they get one more flower feeding one fourth stength on the last gallon of the flush and thats when my yellowing starts..nitrogen id best for leafs and branches, thats why its high in veg

Top Bottom