How far should seedlings be from my metal halide?

• Thread starter JohnC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JohnC

JohnC

Beginner who just bought the rig in the hydroponics store on their recommendation. Now that I have seedlings started, how far away should my light be? Also, I am out of work and broke, so I used aluminum foil on the walls. Does it matter how close they plants should be to the foil?

How far should seedlings be from my metal halide
How far should seedlings be from my metal halide 2
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Beginner who just bought the rig in the hydroponics store on their recommendation. Now that I have seedlings started, how far away should my light be? Also, I am out of work and broke, so I used aluminum foil on the walls. Does it matter how close they plants should be to the foil?
Hi first off welcome to the farm second how big are the seedlings maybe a pic will help us help you . and yes the foil is bad if the cupboard your yes in is a flat white just go with that the foil will help cook your plants . Regards OD .

JohnC

JohnC

Thank you for the welcome, very excited!! So remove the foil? The space is white. Thought I was helping them. So many questions:)) lol. Any thoughts on how far the lights should be? I attached some pics. Def having an issue with yellowing leaves I think from overwatering. I have trimmed the yellow leaves yesterday and they seem better. Also, there looks to be a little white buildup on the top of the soil, is that mold? Again too much watering? Rookie mistake too, I planted them with miracle grow potting mix. I attached pics of the plants I currently have going and would love any feedback on there livelihood? Can I bail on the Miracle-Gro or just roll with it? Thanks again OD!

FB20041B 7994 4DEC 8C14 E6C6164CB70D
C170EF17 2AF1 415F 8741 73DFB6E790D2
2A29AA30 7673 4AAA 9FAE 04EBFF08A3A2
A3ADFDE7 7A2B 4BE5 A3F9 EFFFF5A1BE8F
6EE53E1D 7038 4681 A53A D1469C66959F
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello and welcome! A good way to test is to hold Your Hand at the height of the plant tops with the back of your hand facing the light and keep it there for 30 seconds, if it's too hot for your hand it's too hot for the plants, it should be a comfortable temperature on the back of your hand, best wishes!

JohnC

JohnC

Hello and welcome! A good way to test is to hold Your Hand at the height of the plant tops with the back of your hand facing the light and keep it there for 30 seconds, if it's too hot for your hand it's too hot for the plants, it should be a comfortable temperature on the back of your hand, best wishes!
I moved my light further away from my plants because I had some yellow burning it looked like on the leaves. Looks like over watering was the culprit but as I go to move it back down, I held my hand approximately 18-20” from the light and it was comfortable. Does that mean I should move it to that height and slowly raise it as they grow or just leave it at 24-26” where it currently is? Seems silly but I want to get this right. I also read that the dull side of aluminum foil would act as a good reflector and lined the inside of my closet with it. I had a fellow grower on here tell me that the foil is too much, that my flat white walls are good enough. I can see where they would be correct, do you agree?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I had to keep that bulb about 40” from seedlings and young plants.

18” from mature flowering plants.

Adjust as needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom